IGNORED

Actress - Karma & Desire

auxien

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 12:14 AM, species8472 said:

if you grab from ninjatune directly you can get the 88 cassette

is this an exclusive thing? just ordered the limit pink one from Bleep.

also, what's happening with these? shouldn't a 400 limited release be selling out in a few hour or something?

Found this on pop market for like 30 shipped. I love actress and am looking forward to new tunes but its like 50 shipped from bleep and boomkat to the states. I'll still get a bag but will miss out on the fuchsia unless I get wild over the next couple weeks.

anyone else get an email from the ninja tune newsletter saying to call a phone number? a creepy modulated voice picks up and plays you 45-sec clips of the tracks. pretty dope

Capture7.PNG

Edited by realthanks
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, realthanks said:

anyone else get an email from the ninja tune newsletter saying to call a phone number? a creepy modulated voice picks up and plays you 45-sec clips of the tracks. pretty dope

Capture7.PNG

I missed that, need to check it out!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to this release, enjoyed what I've so far, especially Angels Pharmacy.

Tangentially connected to the new album, but the remix released this month for Soccer Mom is pretty good, not sure where else to post it. 

• Thanks 1

Vinyl arrived today, only listened to sides a & b, despite being distracted by work, this sounds like it will be a great album. Full listen after work. 

Edited by bodywithoutorgans

LP arrived today. the artwork and the sleeves are all covered in delicious monochrome patterns ?

so far this sounds like classic Actress, perhaps his most organic/approachable record. definitely some highlights but it seems more straightforward than e.g. Ghettoville, where the raw simplicity hides the music.

this is how it starts. i'm looking forward to getting cosy with these tunes ??

• Like 3

https://daily.bandcamp.com/lists/actress-discography-list

Bandcamp write up/interview with Darren about this one and some small bits about the older stuff

He went into the record wanting to explore “song concepts” and was interested in “challenging the idea of what a song is,” but he’s less sure of the result. “It’s still quite elusive though, they’re not really songs, do you know what I mean?”

Spent the morning hours listening to this, some really good stuff and some that will hopefully grow on further listening. For now I'm kinda torn, but damn, it's new actress, so I can't really complain.

• Like 1

I've only had one listen so I can't make any sweeping claims, but it nicely complimented my autumn walk. It seems he's mostly concerned with texture and vibe but found myself wishing for a bit more melody from time to time. Anyway, it feels like a grower. Like a more accessible Ghettoville, in a way.

• Like 2

finally gave this a listen through now that it's on Bandcamp, and there's definitely some good stuff. nice sorta stripped back vibe, plenty of vocals and pianos, some rather nice tracks from my first listen. 

that said, it also seemed a bit meandering and unfocused. that's maybe of course the point, but overall i'm thinking maybe it needed some editing. idk, first listen obv. vocals in that second track got pretty repetitive and a tad annoying after a while, though i thought they worked at first.