Seefeel

Pan American / Labradford

MBV

Swans

Loscil

Stars of the Lid

Basic Channel, Rhythm & Sound, Moritz Von Oswald 

1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

At this point i have a recurring payment set up each month direct to Aleksi Perala just in case he releases something

Lol, you must the reason he does indeed feel obliged to release something every month. Come to think of it, you sure it's not a weekly payment?

1 hour ago, Zeffolia said:

rdj ae boc shpongle

I've been meaning to get onto Shpongle and/or Infected Mushroom just for kicks, but I seem to keep putting it off. Which album would be a good entry point?

Edit: Sorry for double post, sometimes they seem to get merged, sometimes not. *shrug*

6 hours ago, IDEM said:

I've been meaning to get onto Shpongle and/or Infected Mushroom just for kicks, but I seem to keep putting it off. Which album would be a good entry point?

Edit: Sorry for double post, sometimes they seem to get merged, sometimes not. *shrug*

shpongle >>>>>>>>>> infected mushroom

start with "Are You Shpongled?"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not an instabuyer really. Even with my favorite artists. Seems like each artist I like has a release or two I didn't wanna buy for one reason or another.

Only person I've bought everything of since I became a fan is Wisp... well except one of his compilation tracks I think. I don't have all his releases, just  the recent ones and the ones on his bandcamp (and a few albums from the 00s).

Oneohtrix Point Never & James Ferraro are the only 2 artists I'm obsessed with enough to buy their music/merch blindly. Even if I don't enjoy it, I know whatever those two release will be a unique and interesting listen/experience.

Spoiler

Vektroid and Blank Banshee aswell, but they have the stigma of """vaporwave""" around them, so I'm less willing to admit that.

Sidenote: Do you think BoC will ever actually release an album again? Seems like most people here would buy it without even thinking about it.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, KingBo0 said:

Oneohtrix Point Never & James Ferraro are the only 2 artists I'm obsessed with enough to buy their music/merch blindly. Even if I don't enjoy it, I know whatever those two release will be a unique and interesting listen/experience.

Hide contents

Vektroid and Blank Banshee aswell, but they have the stigma of """vaporwave""" around them, so I'm less willing to admit that.

Sidenote: Do you think BoC will ever actually release an album again? Seems like most people here would buy it without even thinking about it.

Yes, I think they will release another album. For example, I don't think they would have participated in the WXACRP if they were about to take the silent route. And sure, when they do, I'll preorder the shit out of it. They way I see it, I still owe them money for MHTRTC, because in hindsight I would've gladly paid ten times the price of a normal album for that and still gotten more than its worth out of it. So yeah, I'll subscribe to anything they have on offer until forever I guess. I really wonder how much "bad" albums they'd have to release for me to stop "following" them, and I somehow don't see it happening. At the current release schedule, it would be decades before I could even think about jumping ship anyway, lol. And also, BOC are like pizza: even when it's not the best it could be, it's still pretty decent.

I don't do this with currently active artists, but if I'm at a music store and I see anything that sez "Ives" or "Messiaen" I will absolutely buy it without thinking.

Edit: I also do this with John Zorn and I would do it for Hermeto Pascoal, but I have yet to run into any of his music at a store (and I am quite upset about it).

Electronic:
FSOL (etc)
Underworld
Orbital
Aphex
Autechre
Deaf Center
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Off Land
Nurse With Wound

Guitar:
Idlewild (+ solo projects)
Manic Street Preachers
Cleaners From Venus
The Divine Comedy
Dead Can Dance
Wire

Pop:
Chvrches
Charli XCX
Foxes

There's also a much longer list of 95%-chance-of-buying artists, who require a play of two or three songs from the album beforehand. I could probably stick to all these artists for the next 20 years and not be short of music, but every time I do that for a few months I get an overwhelming desire for something totally new.

• 1 month later...

Instabuy?  Like, everything?  Very little actually, but a few come awfully close.

Darren Tate, (no, not the London Dj, I mean the talented recluse in York) - Have all his solo stuff, all the Monos stuff and a good chunk of the Ora stuff.  Wish he'd rerelease all the long out of print Ora material.

Autechre - I've bought everything they've released the moment I was aware of said release's existence, since 1994.  Everything that's been released on CD, that is.  Which means I don't actually own Elseq

Pan Sonic - The Finnish duo were always an Instabuy.  Not overly impressed with the Rapa Nui performance but the book is fantastic.

Coil - Mostly an instabuy until Sleazy's passing, though I'll admit I really didn't care for _Ape of Naples_ or_Ambulance Died_ and other latter day, soul searching material.  Haven't bought ANY of the post 2010 quasi-official material that has been flooding the scene.  I really feel sorry for all those hardcore Coil fans who can't stop themselves from spending $40 on yet another collection of b-takes, especially when It's all getting dumped to archive.org.

Boards of Canada - With an album every 6-8 years they're the easiest instabuy worthy band to follow.  I could buy their albums on interest accrued.

Organum/David Jackman - Always an instabuy when I can find his stuff.  

Nurse With Wound - Would be an instabuy if he wasn't A) so prolific and B) relatively expensive.  So I wait and curate but inevitably pick up most of it.

FSOL - This is a weird one.  I quit following them for a LONG time, then belatedly caught the magic of "The Isness" and have been eagerly catching up since.  Wouldn't quite say all their stuff is an instabuy, but the Environmnets series certainly is.

Aphex Twin - Mostly an instabuy, at least for actual Aphex releases that have had a proper CD release.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived