Sign in to follow this  
beerwolf

What do you think of Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

4 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

I didn't know anybody liked yanqui

Ha, it’s probably my favourite. I vaguely recall hello spiral saying he was a fan too but could have imagined it.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 6:21 AM, Candiru said:

Tortoise is considered post rock, and they're one of my favorite bands. I'm not sure it's the best label for them, since they have a totally different take on it and have very different musical leanings than post-anything bands.

yeah, "post-rock" was a pretty big tent musically when it was coined, it wasn't until all of the bands after Mogwai doing the soft/loud crescendo stuff and the critical success of Sigur Ros and Godspeed that it was defined more specifically

Anyone else here discover them via 28 Days Later? That's inadvertently how I heard them, copied "East Hastings" from a friend's mp3 players when we were swapping files.

I revisit Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven on occasion. Saw them live in 2012-2013 (I think) - hell of a show. 

"Undoing a Luciferian Towers" is my favorite song of theirs, def listened to it more than any other track.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tec said:

Ha, it’s probably my favourite. I vaguely recall hello spiral saying he was a fan too but could have imagined it.

Time to run the discography again!

8 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

Like Autechre?

Funny. I was going to add “as opposed to Autechre” but decided not no.

GYBE! are much more limited than Autechre, IMHO

No the joke was that Autechre and Godspeed are the same band. OooooOOOooohhh nooOOOooOOOoo

The user has been gonked. lol nerds

Seems as though this band has a similar effect to what I experienced when I watched Wolves In The Throne Room at ATP. This was also with Melvins and Sleep supporting Slayer playing entire Reign In Blood as encore, and was just a mind blowing day of awesomeness ?

WITTR were so brilliant (it was like being in a eye of a storm of sound) and being swept away on a wall of sound. Just very minimal black set but with lots of dry ice and super bright green L.E.D. lights with their logo illuminated, you could hardly see the band, they were like shadows. Everyone was just stood mesmerized to the spot. The sound engineers that day did a grand job with all the bands.

Anyway I quickly set about getting most of their albums but to be honest the records never had the same effect as the experience of seeing and hearing them live. And I rarely play them.

With GYBE! it’s the other way around for me. Their albums (well, the first two or so) were quite good, with enough detail to keep things interesting. Live you miss out on the detail and it just becomes one half hour crescendo after another.

• Like 1

Yeah love godspeed. Saw them live a while ago and almost cried. 

Last album was a little underwhelming though

I went to see them in 2017 as they performed during a commemoration of the battle of Messines called 'Kraterfront'. The stage was set up in a field in Heuvelland ("hillland") where a row of giant spotlights stood on top of and behind the hills a kilometer or so away, illuminating the beautiful landscape and sky. They started playing when the sun was setting behind the audience. Brilliantly, as the music progressed a full moon was slowly rising over the hills in front of us. Powerful stuff...

A short video of the event