IGNORED

Gofundme to help save Amoeba Records

Rubin Farr

yeah.. would indeed suck. hopefully they can puls through. seems the perfect type of company to get some small business stimulus loans/grants or whatever if any money ends up being left.  fingers crossed. 

Damn, hope they pull enough in to keep the employees and shops. Anyone who has been there knows they're the real deal, probably the last great 'general' record store left in USA

If anyone is in the US, they have free shipping and a good online storefront so that would be another way to support. The website says they aren't shipping overseas at the moment tho

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ignatius said:

seems the perfect type of company to get some small business stimulus loans/grants or whatever if any money ends up being left. 

Tyt0Elv.gif

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shake-shack-to-return-10-million-coronavirus-stimulus-loan-11587385439

seriously though- saw this earlier and was kinda worried knowing they are also moving to probably one of the most awkward locations for a record store in hollywood 

34 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

seriously though- saw this earlier and was kinda worried knowing they are also moving to probably one of the most awkward locations for a record store in hollywood 

its only a few blocks from their previous location, which was already in hollywood.

I assume their calculation was that the new location is larger and closer to the walk of fame so they will get more normie foot traffic.  Which frankly could prop up what is a difficult business to sustain in this day and age.  But the virus seems to have thrown a few wrenches in their plan to move and business in general

ive only been to the berkeley and sf amoebas personally anyway..

Edited by markedone

58 minutes ago, markedone said:

I assume their calculation was that the new location is larger and closer to the walk of fame so they will get more normie foot traffic. 

the new location is actually on the walk of fame; also- not too far from shake shack. only thing is that the old location is iconic being right next door to the arclight dome and the crossroads of the world

6 minutes ago, KingBo0 said:

This makes me wonder what local record shops are going out of business. Wonder if covid is gonna kill off Seattles last record shops. </span>

Easy Street seems like they're chugging right along, but I'm afraid for the smaller niche stores. 

Just now, Lada Laika said:

Easy Street seems like they're chugging right along, but I'm afraid for the smaller niche stores. 

Hope that Spin Cycle makes it. Easily my favorite record shop around here.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

They actually have a decent metal section too, unlike most places.

Just checked their facebook. Donate if you can man.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/spin-cycle-shutdown-relief-fund?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Edited by KingBo0
  • Like 2

Didn't Amoeba make a killing selling their current Hollywood location 5 years ago? Perhaps it was still mostly bank-owned and they didn't walk away with that much, who knows. I'm just dubious of this gofundme.

Regarding Seattle shops, just read today that Bop Street in Ballard will be shuttering. It's sad when we lose any record store, but at the same time, the store is a mess and they're quite overpriced. I fear some others will end up having to downsize (again) when they're able to reopen. 

• 10 months later...