IGNORED

Arca - KiCK i

d-a-m-o

• d-a-m-o changed the title to Arca - KiCK i

video and track is a bit too subtle for me, not sure if there’s a message in here perhaps? would love to know if someone cracks the code as to exactly what this is trying to say. thx

• Haha 6
  • Farnsworth 1

Woooooow this is shit. Hope the rest of the album doesn't sound like this. So obnoxious lmfao.

Love Arca, and support her transition, but this shit is really annoying. ?

It took me a bit to warm up to her last 2 releases, maybe I'll warm up to this aswell.

Transitioning artists are generally a bit cringe till they move on. The only trans artist I really enjoy is Kim Petras, because she transitioned ages ago in a different era, and her music isn't necessarily about that or pandering to it. All the late 10s transitioners (and their transitioning fans) are still in that new wave bubble for now.

Edited by Roo

1 hour ago, Roo said:

Transitioning artists are generally a bit cringe till they move on. The only trans artist I really enjoy is Kim Petras, because she transitioned ages ago in a different era, and her music isn't necessarily about that or pandering to it. All the late 10s transitioners (and their transitioning fans) are still in that new wave bubble for now.

Yes, TBH I couldn’t care less about the trans thing (I mean, cool for Arca but I’m here for the music). New track is top notch can’t wait to hear the full album.

• Like 1

Just now, splbt said:

old arca > new arca.

Does anyone even disagree with this? Her new stuff is decent, but she'll never top &&&&&, stretch, xen, etc. The self titled album really marked a dramatic shift in tone and sound, that in my opinion, was not for the better.

• Like 1

I don't care if people transition, it's their body after all but I feel like this is the worst, most cringey way to incorporate it into a track and I am going to pray the rest of the album isn't as filled with the forced cringeworthy lyrics etc.

I enjoy.old arca from time to time though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

This thread is a salt mine, album will smash.

I hope the album is better then this track. I like arcas music alot and really want it to be good, but I just can't get into this shit.

• 3 weeks later...

odd considering this from 3 months ago which has some decent tuneage imo

I do like the end bit of that time track (edit: w the skittering noises)

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

odd considering this from 3 months ago which has some decent tuneage imo

I do like the end bit of that time track (edit: w the skittering noises)

not huge on that second track but TBH the most worrying thing is the number of guests announced for the album...

Edited by d-a-m-o

I've never heard any Arca before this thread. OP track is pretty good up until the 1:45 mark, from that point on it is hilariously terrible. I thought the video was cracking until the last part as well; what a way to end the tune.

Taken as a track by itself I thought Time was really good too; the video is offputting but I suppose that's the point of it or something?

As far as the whole notion of transitioning and injecting that into your music I can certainly understand why people wouldn't enjoy that. Personally I don't really care for music having an overtly political leaning either, I just want music to be music. But if you're a producer and you're concerned with music being an expression of who you are then it shouldn't be surprising that this ends up being the result. Was Arca's prior stuff very self indulgent in terms of imagery and being in front of the camera? That's the aspect I can certainly see as being off putting if all of a sudden the aesthetic has changed into being "Look at me!".

I don't know many trans artists, Arca, Sophie and Mykki Blanco I think are the only ones I know of I think. If I had to criticize I'd say that already I've noticed a trend of trans artists putting out material that is supposed to be shocking to us normies. Or visually extreme in some way. Bit old hat.

• Like 3

I am a fan of Arca. I can't get in to either of these singles unfortunately. The line "Yes i've been lucky and i've been unlucky. It's both." really hurts me to listen to. The second single i would describe as a "quite bad song". I had tickets to see Arca a few weeks ago which was postponed and i'm starting to wonder if i dodged a deeply disappointing experience. I like Arca's voice a lot on the previous record, i'm all for vocal based music from them. I would have rather seen that grow than some weird awkward attempt at hip-hop/pop vocals. It felt genuine, this all feels really forced to me.