IGNORED

Andrée Burelli - How To Survive Difficult Times Vol.1: Cinematic

"Humans live entirely indoors, in cities enclosed in transparent material that serves as a window over their existence to an infinite sky, shielded from a world made mainly of sandstorms and empty oceans. People spend their time reflecting on the sunset, the stars shining and the moon rising every night. They have developed technology and consciousness but pleasures of outdoor life such as being on the beach, swimming in the sea or breathing real air, are just memories of the past. The incomplete puzzle of their lost world remains a treasure in the form of audiovisual reality, projected as a kind of cinema in the evenings. It is onto those screens where that generation lays its eyes in tears. Humanity has learnt its limits."

Berlin, September 4, 2019

This is how the idea for this Album was initially conceived. I speculated on a fictional world in which, due to hostile environmental conditions, outdoor life could no longer be considered, and mankind would miss nature as we know it today. Little did I know in those late summer days that we would soon find ourselves in the midst of a global pandemic. Today this work inevitably relates to the present situation on our planet.

For the piece titled “Sky” I have created a video in which we see micro and macro elements of our natural environment generating random geometric organic forms or patterns in motion. The content comes from shots of landscapes I did and archives of the NASA public domain.

Both music compositions and visuals resulted from the necessity of sharing my gaze about my present, our environment, its preservation and our condition as nature dependents. It is a production which I refer to as “cinematic of natural kinematics”.

The word Cinematic in English is defined as anything related to cinema or cinematography, term that comes from greek kinema «movement» and grapho «to write» or «to describe». Kinematics is a field of studies in classical mechanics, that describes the motion of objects and systems of objects, without considering the forces that cause them to move and it is often referred to as the "geometry of motion”.

The meditative sonic compositions run on tape, each one of which is modified in real time with analogue effects so to enrich with some sort of entropy their ecstatic minimalism. 

Archived