IGNORED

Bibio - Sleep on the Wing

Love the song and the aesthetic on this. Ribbons is the best thing he's done in quite some time. I love when he dials in on his folksy-countryside vibe over the dance/pop/yachtrock? sounds.

I'll take this opportunity to once again voice my passion for a Vignetting the Compost repress. Simply gotta have it.

2 hours ago, zero said:

nice, sounds like it could have come from Ribbons.

a lot of his music reminds me of spring time. 

Yes! 

It reminded me a lot of Ribbons, not sure if you saw this bleep description? I went to check right after hearing the title track. Sounds like it will be mostly acoustic (which I don't mind, brings me back to his earliest releases).

"Bibio’s new mini-LP Sleep On The Wing sees Stephen Wilkinson continuing the sonic evolution that we heard on 2019’s Ribbons LP. Indeed, this album goes even further than Ribbons did in terms of leaning into the sounds of classic folk music - whereas Ribbons often balanced folkish timbres with the electronic and ambient tones Bibio had explored on prior releases, Sleep On The Wing is a largely acoustic affair."

58 minutes ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Love the song and the aesthetic on this. Ribbons is the best thing he's done in quite some time. I love when he dials in on his folksy-countryside vibe over the dance/pop/yachtrock? sounds.

I'll take this opportunity to once again voice my passion for a Vignetting the Compost repress. Simply gotta have it.

Yes, "Vignetting..." is, and has been since it was released, my favorite of his Mush output, and I've been a strong fan of that era of Bibio since the beginning. 

That said, I would personally rate "Phantom Brickworks" above "Ribbons", just because I've always had a preference for atmospheric music I can read/write to and lyrics always distract me too much. That said, Bibio's always been one of those exceptions for me when it comes to lyrics, just because his poetry and musical sensibilities push it all over the top. He's a master of everything he does. 

• 1 month later...

Very nice artwork on the cover. Haven't liked his output since the Mush era albums though. Just not my thing. But Phantom Brickworks is the exception. That album was solid.

After my first couple listens, I feel like this is nicely in line with "Vignetting...", which was a pleasant surprise. A lot of different field recording/processing that varies the mostly instrumental tracks nicely, and imbues it with that same kind of atmosphere. And "Oakmoss" has a fresh take on the melody from the first half of "Lover's Carvings". Reminds me of the way "Bequeathed" reframes the melody from "A Tout a l'huere". 

12 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Nice album! Wish it was a bit longer but I’ll take it. Lightspout Hollow is the standout for me.

Well it's not an album it's an EP....

It's a lovely EP but I can only really enjoy this type of music in small doses, like two or three tracks at a time. I don't revisit Ribbons as a whole very often cos it's pretty much a full on folk onslaught, but I always finding myself putting on the individual songs and digging em.

Other than Phantom Brickworks which is prob my favourite thing he's ever done, I definitely preferred it when Bibio would throw different sounds and styles into his albums.

I think I'm over his frolicking-in-a-prairie in-the-springtime sound. Put this on while I was driving my girlfriend somewhere over the weekend, and we're both fans of Bibio, but we had to turn it off. We both liked Ribbons btw. Maybe we just weren't in the mood (we were driving to a BLM march, fwiw), maybe it's just getting too fairytale-sounding.

On 6/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, sidewinder said:

I think I'm over his frolicking-in-a-prairie in-the-springtime sound. Put this on while I was driving my girlfriend somewhere over the weekend, and we're both fans of Bibio, but we had to turn it off. We both liked Ribbons btw. Maybe we just weren't in the mood (we were driving to a BLM march, fwiw), maybe it's just getting too fairytale-sounding.

i know what you mean, ribbons and this both verge on sappy rural pastiche... ribbons for what its worth has some top notch instrumental tracks in there.. but this ep on first listen is heavier on the ren-faire vibe.

I also dont agree when people are saying he is going back to 'his roots' because its very different vibe from those early records, which were more indebted to boc.

I only sort of liked one song on this (the last track).  Which is sad.   To whoever said this is inline with Vignetting, what are your smoking? I want some.

As far as why I don’t dig it, it’s not because it’s folky.  I think he’s went down this classical / Victorian style rabbit hole.  I can’t get into it.  Super cheesy like something you would hear on PBS.   

5 minutes ago, lyst said:

To whoever said this is inline with Vignetting, what are your smoking? I want some

Not on on watmm, but the press/prerelease surrounding ribbons, I vaguely remember reading it was in the style of his earlier albums. But the music press also said oversteps sounded like amber.. so.. yeah

6 hours ago, lyst said:

I only sort of liked one song on this (the last track).  Which is sad.   To whoever said this is inline with Vignetting, what are your smoking? I want some.

As far as why I don’t dig it, it’s not because it’s folky.  I think he’s went down this classical / Victorian style rabbit hole.  I can’t get into it.  Super cheesy like something you would hear on PBS.   

I don't smoke.

But if anyone says "Vignetting..." isn't folky, I'd like to ask you to revisit it. "Mr. and Mrs. Compost"? "The Ephemeral Bluebell"? "Great are the Piths"? "Odd Paws"? "Weekend Wildfire"? "The Garden Shelter"? EDIT: sorry, I meant "Thatched"? (It's late and I'm tired.) 

Objections to something sounding like it belongs on PBS is strange to me. I suppose I take a Modus Ponens to your Modus Tollens. 

8 hours ago, apriorion said:

I don't smoke.

But if anyone says "Vignetting..." isn't folky, I'd like to ask you to revisit it. "Mr. and Mrs. Compost"? "The Ephemeral Bluebell"? "Great are the Piths"? "Odd Paws"? "Weekend Wildfire"? "The Garden Shelter"? EDIT: sorry, I meant "Thatched"? (It's late and I'm tired.) 

Objections to something sounding like it belongs on PBS is strange to me. I suppose I take a Modus Ponens to your Modus Tollens. 

Who the hell said Vignetting isn’t folky????  It’s entirely folky....  It sounds entirely different from this release though.   This has some other elements I mention in my post such as sounding Classical, Victorian.  And cheesy - but not in a good way. 

This sounds nothing like Vignetting, Fi, or Handcranked to my ears.   A different realm entirely.  That’s just my ears though.  

Oh yah and as far as the PBS thing.  It’s really hard to describe this feeling / sound I’m getting from these tunes.  The only thing that came to mind is like a bad rendition of Pride and Prejudice on PBS.

Suffice it to say, I am glad I did not drop dough on the vinyl or anything.   Normally I would have because I’ve loved a lot of his recent work.  This one though will go in the Ovals and Emeralds pile.  

Archived