IGNORED

Bibio - Sleep on the Wing

On 6/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, sidewinder said:

I think I'm over his frolicking-in-a-prairie in-the-springtime sound. Put this on while I was driving my girlfriend somewhere over the weekend, and we're both fans of Bibio, but we had to turn it off. We both liked Ribbons btw. Maybe we just weren't in the mood (we were driving to a BLM march, fwiw), maybe it's just getting too fairytale-sounding.

Interesting you say that.  I got my father heavily into Bibio and he couldn’t dig this release either.  

And personally I was trying to blame it on my Mood as well.   I do not think Mood is the culprit though.  

On 6/16/2020 at 9:06 PM, markedone said:

i know what you mean, ribbons and this both verge on sappy rural pastiche... ribbons for what its worth has some top notch instrumental tracks in there.. but this ep on first listen is heavier on the ren-faire vibe.

I also dont agree when people are saying he is going back to 'his roots' because its very different vibe from those early records, which were more indebted to boc.

His output now is absolutely nothing like his early stuff. If I listen to Fi or Handcranked, it might has well have been created by another artist. I know a lot of people like Vignetting, but even by then he was moving away from that early sound (which now sounds rather magical in a BOC kind of way).

Yeah can’t really get into the newer stuff. And by newer stuff I mean it sounds like Bibio covers or something. Happens to the best of them I suppose. What I’ve wanted for a long time is a strictly instrumental beats/heavier on the electronic side of things album, which as far as I know he hasn’t done. Everything is a mixed bag which some of his earlier stuff after the lofi folk stuff lends itself to beautifully but it just feels like he has never dove in headfirst to heavy electronic beats which he has on every major album, and excelled at.

I'm a big fan of Bibio but this stuff just doesn't interest me as much as his more diverse albums. He's a master of hybrid styles but this more straight-up folk stuff wears thin over the course of a full album. Ribbons was the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...

he discusses the ep here:

https://www.popmatters.com/bibio-sleep-wing-2020-interview-2646216451.html

sounds like the next one could be back to "pop" bibio:

Right now, I'm making synthpop and disco, amongst other things. What I'm working on now is more like A Mineral Love, but it's early days still, so all of that could change. I like contrast between albums; I like change. Ribbons and Sleep on the Wing are part of the same chapter in my mind."

Archived