IGNORED

Florian Schneider Dies

fumi

Surprised this hasn't been picked up on here. Kraftwerk co-founder died today at 73.

For me, this band were more influential and important than even the Beatles. Every single electronic artist that followed owes a great debt to this band.

No four middle-aged men will ever be able to stand on stage and be this cool.

Ever again.

Not quite today.

The news was confirmed to the Guardian by one of his musical collaborators, who said Schneider had died a week ago and had a private burial.

What else is there to say. Thank fuck for sound recording and reproduction I guess.

R.I.P.

2 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

check this out

Never looked in there. I thought his passing deserved a thread of its own. For me, this is like it would be for WATMM if Aphex passed away.

Yes for me too. Complete legend whose influence is felt any time you turn on the radio. and as someone mentioned very few would recognize him on the street.

An ambassador for electronic music, an ambassador for wirtschaftswunder germany, an ambassador for the future!! We will miss him

12 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

Complete legend whose influence is felt any time you turn on the radio. 

Indeed. Discovered Kraftwerk thanks to hip-hop because they were sampled so many times...

7 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Indeed. Discovered Kraftwerk thanks to hip-hop because they were sampled so many times...

Yep, same here.  Total legend.  RIP

first Kraftwerk is a personal favourite cos it's got a flute, a strat-drone thing & usually gets missed among seminal releases

rip Mr Schneider & god speed, hope St Peter isn't being cunty with you in any waiting rooms

Rest in Peace

I was going to say something about their massive influence on everything but better just some personal memories:  When I first got a turntable of my own, I nabbed my parents old copy of Radioactivity merely knowing the group by name, and it soon became one the first records I would spin over and over again, watching the label spin round and round.  Super future music even listening on an old medium that was new to me.  Discovered the rest of their stuff in college years.  The early kraftwerk and ralf/florian stuff might be my favorite, but its hard to single out any era when they are all so good.  Trans Europe Express became my go-to record when dj'ing on college radio if i wanted something long or had to take a bathroom break, haha.

Archived