IGNORED

Subharmonicon DAW synchronization

Jed

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. While I've been listening to music for years a few months ago I took the plunge and started making it. Over the weekend I impulsively purchased Moog's new Subharmonicon synth and have fallen in love with it. However, I'm having some difficulties getting it synced up w/ my DAW for a variety of reasons. Bear with me, and I apologize in advance if I'm getting any of the terminology wrong but I was wondering if any of you have experienced an issue quite like this and have any solutions other than the ones that I have baked up...

While I'm not certain, I would imagine the Subharmonicon's sequencer to be quite different in how it behaves to a global midi clock compared to other, more straight forward sequencers. The tempo knob on the device has a range of 20 BPM to 3000 BPM, but the actual tempo of whatever is being produced by it is based on ratios relative to the global time. For instance, if I have the tempo knob set to about half way (around 1500BPM) and set the first sequence to step at the lowest setting, the resulting pattern will play at something like 60 BPM (I didn't do the math, but you get the idea). The problem I'm having arises when syncing the device w/ my DAW using Midi. I'd like to keep the global midi clock time in the 100 - 200 range since Ableton (more likely my computer) likes to act up and fire off notes out of time once I go up into 300+ territory. I was wondering if anyone has a creative solution to somehow sending a multiple of the midi clock to the device such that if i set my midi clock to 120BPM, the device receive's a multiple of that. Otherwise anything it plays, is far too slow, unless I'm working in the upper bounds of the polyrhythm generators.

A couple solutions:

• External clock device that might split the clock time into ratios (much like the device itself). 
  • A custom Max plugin that emulates said device above...
  • Work w/ samples... :(

Has anyone dealt w/ this type of issue before?

I don't have a subH and I haven't used Live in ages but it sounds like a mismatch in the midi clock resolution i.e. Live puts out 24 ppq ( I think) whereas the Moog might be expecting something else.  

It turns out I'm just incredibly impatient. I was using DirectX thinking the Moog was a video game, turns out it wasn't and Asio works much better. A lesson learned for sure...

If the subh has a trigger in to drive the seq you could also try clocking it from your audio interface with the benefit of jitter free clock and the ability to easily send divisions or rhythmically clock the subh.  

An external clock and a CV / midi control module are in my future...

I've got a little GAS for the Subharmonicon. Sounds a little more unique than what they've been doing for a while.

Archived