35 members have voted

1. 1. is it any good

Ordering Pizza In 2020

CALLER:

Is this Dee-Lo's Pizza?

GOOGLE:   
No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER:
I must have dialled a wrong number.  Sorry. 

GOOGLE:  
No sir, Google bought Dee-Lo’s Pizza last month.

CALLER:
OK sure.  I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE:  
Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER:

My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE:  

According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called Dee-Lo's you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER:
OK! That’s what I want ...

GOOGLE:  

May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?

CALLER:
What? I detest vegetal!

GOOGLE:  
Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER:
How the hell do you know!

GOOGLE:  

Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records.  We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER:

Woah, but I do not want your rotten vegetal pizza!  I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE:  

Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly.  According to our database, you purchased  only a pack of 30 cholesterol tablets once, at Drug RX Network, 4 months ago.

CALLER:
I bought more from another drugstore.

GOOGLE:  
That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER: 

I paid in cash.

GOOGLE:  
But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER:
I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE:  

That doesn’t show on your last tax return unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law.

CALLER:
WHAT THE HECK! 

GOOGLE:  
I'm sorry, sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER:

Enough already!  I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others.  I'm going to an island without internet, cable TV, where there is no cell phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE:  
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first.  It expired 6 months ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • Burger 3
  • Farnsworth 2

Surveillance is an injustice, as is the proprietary software that allows it to happen.  People tend to be hastily fatalistic about this because they fear the idea of being "out of the loop" or somehow obsolete.  Largely, I think it's also an addiction to things like Netflix and the convenience of Amazon and Google's nebulae.  Whatever the case, this misconception that you have to be completely off the grid to avoid surveillance is a big hunk of bologna.  These conveniences don't have to come with injustices.  It's actually surprisingly easy to have a comfortable level of control over your own computer systems without submitting to anyone's EULAs or invasive data collection, but it does require you to be informed about the injustices that occur and how they occur.  Yes, you unfortunately have to shine a light on the infestation before you can exterminate it.  It also requires you to reclaim whatever "cloud" data you might have stored on companies' hard drives and cancel some accounts (which can often be a serious ordeal), but it doesn't actually require you to give up modern computing.  You just have to do it a little differently.  Buy a Pinebook Pro and install OpenBSD.  Buy a Google Pixel 3a and install Graphene OS.  These two small steps alone are extremely simple and will go a long way to deliver you from the maw of subjugation.  We can really resist, we just need to decide that we really want to do so.

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Zuck is watching US all poop while he eats a bowl of Kix. I don’t know how to say this any clearer. 

• Like 2

But, but...marketers wanna know what we liiiike

And the first step to revolution is focusing their peeping tom cams on our brown stars

6 hours ago, Braintree said:

We need politicians competent enough to know that we should have data rights.

data rights are a sham written on paper which engineering violence (malware) can overcome.  what we really need is publicly funded Free Open Source Software infrastructure and publicly auditable computing hardware manufacturing facilities so that people can truly know they are free, without the need of any laws to protect them

• Like 3

Shoshana Zuboff - The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power is a rather wordy tome but definitely worth checking out; I'll also recommend Evgeny Morozov's To Save Everything, Click Here: The Folly of Technological Solutionism and Adam Greenfield's Radical Technologies.

But what do I think? Although I still rebel and revolt against the extraction of behavioural surplus (see Zuboff), the battle against the technology behemoths and pervasive (commercial) surveillance has been lost and a lot of people have just given everything and then some away willingly, because social media, construction of identities, people calling themselves influencers, Metcalfe's Law and other pests of our networked world where straight teeth in your mouth are more important than the words that come out of it and countries governed by kakistocracies.

So yeah, I loathe the surveillance economy and despise the people who willingly work to invent, build, manage and maintain the surveillance networks - to quote Jeff Hammerbacher "the best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads - that sucks."

Edited by dcom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

35 minutes ago, dingformung said:

how do u negotiate if the other one knows everything about u and ur plans and u know nothing about them?

crux

of

the

Matrix

• Like 1

You idiots. Joyrex has been selling all of your personal data to facebook and google for years. How else do you think he makes all that money to host this data mining operation posing as a neckbeard message board?

Edited by Blir
  • Like 1
  • Burger 1

8 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

data rights are a sham written on paper which engineering violence (malware) can overcome.  what we really need is publicly funded Free Open Source Software infrastructure and publicly auditable computing hardware manufacturing facilities so that people can truly know they are free, without the need of any laws to protect them

"Data rights" doesn't exist so you're basically positing a plan for how to do it, pal.

That's only one facet needed for basic protection.

Edited by Braintree