IGNORED

surveillance capitalism - good or whack

dingformung

surveillance capitalism  

35 members have voted

1. 1. is it any good

Just don't use the deep web to buy ingredients to manufacture cocaine/smuggle humans/sell or buy firearms/dispatch hitmen/fund militias, etc.

This is like getting caught passing a note in class and you will be disciplined thoroughly. 

Not trying to hurt any feelings but most consumer "security" you think you can make yourself "safe" with is cosplay. Keep paying for VPNs though if it makes you feel better.

I did enterprise networking, firewalls, system administration, threat and vulnerability management, reverse engineering, incident response, etc for 15 years as a career. A lot of that time was also spent on continuing education and training, working with law enforcement, attending conferences, collaborating with vendors to help them add capabilities to their products, etc. I'm reasonably educated with signals intelligence and countermeasures as it relates to the basic internet communications domain for commercial use.

If you wind up on someone's radar who wants to see what you're up to, you aren't going to get out from under that. Not saying that's right or wrong, it's just reality.

• Farnsworth 2

17 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Shit, @Joyrex we're done here. Time to call Snowden and see if we can't get as sweet a deal as he he's got.

Does this mean Richard and Rob and Sean all get to be reassigned to some other genre, like folk or blues?

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Does this mean Richard and Rob and Sean all get to be reassigned to some other genre, like folk or blues?

I thought we'd agreed that Richard would get hair metal and Rob and Sean get Kentucky Bluegrass?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hijexx said:

Not trying to hurt any feelings but most consumer "security" you think you can make yourself "safe" with is cosplay. Keep paying for VPNs though if it makes you feel better.

I did enterprise networking, firewalls, system administration, threat and vulnerability management, reverse engineering, incident response, etc for 15 years as a career. A lot of that time was also spent on continuing education and training, working with law enforcement, attending conferences, collaborating with vendors to help them add capabilities to their products, etc. I'm reasonably educated with signals intelligence and countermeasures as it relates to the basic internet communications domain for commercial use.

If you wind up on someone's radar who wants to see what you're up to, you aren't going to get out from under that. Not saying that's right or wrong, it's just reality.

^ yep! Also you can't really prove a negative. You can have your stuff locked down like a fortress but there could still be a zero day being exploited right under your nose and you wouldn't know it.

Intelligence services monitor politicians and we have to trust them not to interfere in democratic processes with that amount of information/power at hand. Media owners have all the data they need to influence public opinion and elections effectively. Monopolies of power profit from forming cartels to solidify their power. Market disturbances like democracy and free will are now a manageable factor and with the help of artificial intelligence and machine learning these developments might become more severe at an exponential rate.

• Farnsworth 2

1 hour ago, hijexx said:

^ yep! Also you can't really prove a negative. You can have your stuff locked down like a fortress but there could still be a zero day being exploited right under your nose and you wouldn't know it.

ya.  and if there isn't an exploit they will hire a worker to work on the codebase of software you use and sneak one in.  there is no limit to their reach

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/technology/jeff-bezos-hack-iphone.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

ya.  and if there isn't an exploit they will hire a worker to work on the codebase of software you use and sneak one in.  there is no limit to their reach

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/technology/jeff-bezos-hack-iphone.html

They exploited a security hole in WhatsApp, and it looks like Bezos clicked on something to allow a video to play. Still, because of sandboxing (not unique to apple) it could only access WhatsApp. 
pretty shoddy security practice from Bezos. 

• 3 months later...

Bulk collection ruled illegal. 

Not sure where to put this. Search results didnt bring up a Snowden thread. This is close enough, i guess.

Edited by goDel
  • Like 4

Girls get slightly racy pics deleted from Instagram all the time. You know Zuck’s got a few terabytes of your ex gf’s see through nipple shirt, your coworkers’ beach cameltoe, etc. that randy little fuckin dweeb

• 2 weeks later...

"Google is providing financial, technological, and engineering support to a range of startups through Gradient Ventures, a venture capital arm that Google launched in 2017 to nurture companies deploying AI in a range of fields."

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/23/google-ai-gradient-ventures/

A sheriff launched an algorithm to predict who might commit a crime. Dozens of people said they were harassed by deputies for no reason.

https://www.businessinsider.com/predictive-policing-algorithm-monitors-harasses-families-report-2020-9

• Like 1

god i want google deputies to harass me.  everything ive ever typed, every search result ive ever scrolled past, every website linked to their ad platform ive ever visited.  i wish theyd kill me and replace my brain with their deep neural network simulation of me that they use to calculate their projected ad click revenue that i provide them.  not only does it feel satisfying financially to be a pawn in the computational games of billionaires, it's satisfying sexually knowing that they could frame me for crimes by modifying their search history database at the request of the NSA.  lock me up and starve me google i deserve death for being alive

• Haha 2

coordination, communication, consensus, cooperation between nodes, consciousness at a higher level of abstraction than the mere individual - class consciousness.  we all know it can be done if the energy is put into it, but when does it start, how and where? who does it? will it be everyone at once, will it be a small group? or will it not come? will it just continue how it is forever? surely it cannot, and yet it can be imagined that this could happen. but it cannot be let to. it's unimaginably unethical. 

capitalists talk about the market and efficiency and innovation and they don't even know they are lying to themselves, because they pretend like they aren't.  all that matters is how they act, and they act like things can keep going on as usual.  they are dangerous and brainwashed, to the future of humanity and all life on this planet.  their crimes are beyond that of the biggest genocides ever conducted, for not just present but future generations as well.  they are manipulating time itself by stealing value from the future through a promise of future degradation, it's slavery and war, mass genocides, the capitalists are enacting war upon future generations, but they make it seem like it's not.  everything is war.

• Like 1

new doc on netflix "The Social Dilemma" is worth a watch. good mix of "this will lead to demise of our country" and "we can fix this..."

definitely an insider type doc as all the people featured are one time google/facebook/twitter employees etc.

"disinformation for profit is the business model"

On 9/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, ignatius said:

new doc on netflix "The Social Dilemma" is worth a watch. good mix of "this will lead to demise of our country" and "we can fix this..."

I think these tech ex-bros are sincerely remorseful, but it's going to be an uphill battle because the critical mass is on the side of the extraction capitalists. Most people in the documentary have fuck you money and nothing to worry about even if they don't succeed, but nevertheless it's semi-admirable that they're feeling a smidgen of regret about their ex-employers and going oh sorry that we fucked up a couple of generations of people psychologically and rewired the social fabric around the world to be at the beg and call of technology to line the pockets of the very few. It's not a bad documentary, though, only too little too late.

If you're smart enough to implement things that have become dark patterns (which supplant "user value...in favor of shareholder value"), you should be by definition be smart enough to understand the negative psychological and social ramifications of those technologies. It's not like you can't imagine the negative repercussions of some of the biggest tech innovations out there. There are some of them in use even here in WATMM, baked in to the core of the site software. I've been working on web (backend) stuff for over 25 years, so I have a modicum of knowledge about these things.

Here's an interesting review of the documentary. You should also watch The Great Hack, if you haven't already done so.

I love Jaron Lanier to bits, he's a true treasure; I expected to see Yevgeni Morozov as well, but I don't think the producers wanted to go that deep into it. Besides Zuboff's landmark book on the subject there are some lesser known tomes touching the same subject, I can provide a reading list if you're interested.

That shit is wack, yo.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 5