IGNORED

Israeli-Palestinian conflict

zlemflolia

Free Palestine are my thoughts on the issue.

• Like 8

Every simplistic statement on the issue is wrong only if it's a statement that defends Israel.  I really don't think it's possible to exaggerate how evil modern Israel is.  It's the chief enemy of humanity, along with Turkey on its left and Saudi Arabia on its right.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

What are your thoughts on it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakba_Day

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Anti-Jewish_riots_in_Oujda_and_Jerada
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhud
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_Anti-Jewish_riots_in_Egypt
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_anti-Jewish_riots_in_Aleppo

It’s not necessarily always that there are two sides to every story, and the Israeli state is certainly a very nasty political entity (as is the Palestinian Authority, btw), but ...

in the states in some crazy way I think perception on this has actually gotten a lot better, the only people who care about israel are either right-wing christian freaks, right-wing jewish freaks (dersh etc) and some orthos. And those people are boomers or old gen xers. Support of israel has almost completely vanished among millennials, most are either totally ambivalent or completely disgusted by their treatment of palestinians and their creation of a modern apartheid state. While I don't morally agree with israel on these policies and in general i think the idea of a religious ethnostate is a bad one, I don't really give a shit what they do in their country. I don't live there and there are far more disgusting and heinous human rights abuses all over the world, including many perpetrated by the us govt. what does annoy me is how much of our country's foreign policy is dominated by israel!! I understand the history and reasonings behind it but in the 21st century when we trade more with the saudis than israel it really seems unnecessary. AOC and other millennial politicians are a sign of things to come i hope. 

• Like 3

I wasn't too bothered or cared really until I went backpacking around India for 6 months, and there I met loads of Israelis'.

Lets put it this way, it didn't take long for me to become very, very pro Palestine.

There were a few who were cool but put quite simply I hated them.

Hypocritical assholes. 

Edited by beer badger
  • Haha 2

Didn’t even know they were beefing. I think they can make equal claims to who came up with falafel first. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I wasn't too bothered or cared really until I went backpacking around India for 6 months, and there I met loads of Israelis'.

Lets put it this way, it didn't take long for me to become very, very pro Palestine.

There were a few who were cool but put quite simply I hated them.

Hypocritical assholes. 

What do you expect when you give every 18 year old, male *and* female, a gun and tell them they need to start shooting Palestinians if they don't want to get blown up?

It's a miracle there are any decent Israeli's at all. By the time they get around to backpacking they're all shellshocked and damaged for life.

• Like 2

No idea anymore, but I got to see Norman Finkelstein speak at uni, he was great. Nowhere near as raucous as this crowd but still a good discussion:

• Like 3

I wish Israel's government would stop being oppressive c**ts. And I wish our own government would stop being their bitches.

All I know is that this shit's been going on for decades. And I'm tired of arrogant, belligerent old politicians.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Maybe we can all just start talking about the FS1R and people will forget the original topic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I suppose if you grow up with the notion that every country that borders you hates you, that might have an effect on your personality.

I suppose also if they knew that most of their so called allies who are wise to the situation also dislike you then that will make you worse. Quite exceptional in fact.

I shall say no more. I don't want a watmm thread to start giving me a headache this weekend.

Edited by beer badger

2 hours ago, dr lopez said:

what does annoy me is how much of our country's foreign policy is dominated by israel!! I understand the history and reasonings behind it but in the 21st century when we trade more with the saudis than israel it really seems unnecessary. 

As someone who works for survey company that often does TxDOT contracts I face legal consequences if I publicly support BDS actions and sentiments. In Texas. I've seen Israeli murals in small Texan towns where there probably isn't one middle eastern or Jewish resident within 50 miles. While mostly a right-wing and evangelical obsession pro-Israel lobbying is a major component of establishment Democrats which is why similar legislation has emerged in NY as well, not just deep red states.

Israel and Saudi Arabia are both major military customers and the former is a major arms developer and exporter as well. Israel hasn't been the lone stalwart / victim in the Middle East since the Lebanon invasion in 1980. While antisemitism and Islamophobia are rampant and strong among public opinion as they have been for decades actual government policies in the middle east are a lot more nuanced and cooperative. They've had rough but normalized relations with Jordan and Eygpt for ages. The US can and does support Islamic fundamentalist states like Saudi Arabia while also supporting Israel because both are lockstep in their opposition to Iran. Both cooperate via third parties on intel sharing, proxy wars, and energy development and both heavily invest in Western real estate holdings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beer badger said:

Yes I suppose if you grow up with the notion that every country that borders you hates you, that might have an effect on your personality.

I suppose also if they knew that most of their so called allies who are wise to the situation also dislike you then that will make you worse. Quite exceptional in fact.

I shall say no more. I don't want a watmm thread to start giving me a headache this weekend.

Wow, it really sucks that all their neighbors just started hating them for some reason.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Wow, it really sucks that all their neighbors just started hating them for some reason.

True, but when Israel was founded said neighbors started organizing pogroms against THEIR OWN Jewish population for no particular reason, thereby driving people who had been living in these countries for almost two millennia to flee to the militant Zionist state that had just been founded and that originally this Jewish population had little sympathy or support for.

• Like 2