IGNORED

Israeli-Palestinian conflict

zlemflolia

The linked video is 3 years old, didn't notice that when posting. Sorry. Still relevant.

• Like 1

All this happening, (since years and counting), and in the last few days the french government forbidding manifestations from french people supporting palestinians...

while they are claiming france is the land of human rights and democracy ?oh come on.   I really feel shame. (and anger)

forbidding manifestations almost never happens here in france, usually. why that now?

Israel is a good buyer of french aircraft warfare btw.  buisness rules... (this amongst other geopolitical reason - but wich also sucks)

shame.

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Forbidding manifestations in France? Isn't that what you do in your free time? That's fucked up.

here's a documentary that explains why the jews have divine right to the land of israel, while the palestinians don't because they're not god's people

• Big Brain 1

12 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

here's a documentary that explains why the jews have divine right to the land of israel, while the palestinians don't because they're not god's people

Religion is so dumb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, auxien said:

from reddit so idk if this is correct but lines up at a glance with my understanding. please correct if necessary of course.

43C3A528-AF2B-41D1-86F4-A8C7BE3176D0.thumb.jpeg.819712c2c96b211b96f3708a9ba8499d.jpeg

https://www.reddit.com/r/neoliberal/comments/nc85u4/human_cost_of_the_israelipalestinian_conflict/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

that thread is pathetic

fuck neoliberals

fuck liberals

israel must be destroyed

Edited by cyanobacteria

10 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

that thread is pathetic

fuck neoliberals

fuck liberals

israel must be destroyed

some jackasses in that thread, sure. some further bits of info as well too. idk shit about that subreddit.

really disgusting seeing those numbers next to each other

15 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

Just sharing this again...

first time i didnt respond cuz its a joke of some sort but this video is disgusting and misrepresents the scenario as if this is some cyclic historical event.  it is not, it is rather an event being created right now by people completely unrelated to any previous events, on one side against the other, not in a retaliatory way but in an actively fascistic way, and actively funded by global capitalist hegemony and US imperialism through advanced weaponry.  it is not some sort of ancient conflict, it is imperialism as israel is the US's military stronghold of the middle east they don't want to lose and will not let palestinian sovereignty and freedom risk their "unsinkable aircraft carrier"

• Facepalm 4

@cyanobacteria Cool, so when you going to fly over to join the fight in the resistance? Or are you just gonna wage war on civilisations from the comfort of your studio flat in imperialist, fascist USA?

Bad news for you bro, you ARE imperialist, fascist USA. You're not a revolutionary of any sort whatsoever. You've no idea the realities of living in a conflict zone.

This is a revolutionary fighter:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2114559/myanmar-beauty-queen-takes-up-arms-against-junta

This is you:

keyboard-warriors-everywhere.jpg

Edited by Thu Zaw
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, caze said:

The story of Sheikh Jarrah in particular departs from the colonizer conquerer narrative....

(the author then goes on to describe the colonizer conquerer narrative of Israel :cerious:)

By the 1940s, Palestinians owned one third of its real estate, while the Jews owned another third. The rest belonged to Greeks, Armenians, Germans, Latin Romans and others. When a line was drawn between a Jewish West Jerusalem and an Arab East Jerusalem, many Arabs owned property and lived in the West while many Jews owned property and lived in the East. 

In 1948, each side ejected the other. In 1967, Israel won Arab East Jerusalem and united the city. A few years later, Israel passed a law allowing Jewish Jerusalemites, who owned property in East Jerusalem from before 1948, to reclaim their property. This is where Israeli law inflicts injustice on Arab Jerusalemites. For such law to be fair, Israel should have also legislated that any Arabs of East Jerusalem who owned property in the western part of the city before 1948, could reclaim their property, or at least get compensated for it (if it had already changed hands under the 1950 Law).

i'm not familiar enough with the details of the establishment of the Israeli state (edit: and the current legal details of those in Sheikh Jarrah trying to keep their property) to know what i'm missing that the author is breezing through, but it sure sounds like those in Sheikh Jarrah are trying to litigate the existence of Israel as a state allowable to impose things like imminent domain. ...which i think is the basic thrust of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, yeah? 

image.png.809d0773f7c3e91c42fb51a9e298bb64.png

'blown out of proportion' is um..... . .   .   .     .    a particularly tactless choice of words, at best. indicative of bias that the article seems to confirm, at worst.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

i'm not familiar enough with the details of the establishment of the Israeli state (edit: and the current legal details of those in Sheikh Jarrah trying to keep their property) to know what i'm missing that the author is breezing through, but it sure sounds like those in Sheikh Jarrah are trying to litigate the existence of Israel as a state allowable to impose things like imminent domain. ...which i think is the basic thrust of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, yeah? 

No, it's got nothing to do with eminent domain, the owners of the land in question (who are Jewish) have been trying since the 70s to regain land which was taken from them in 1948 by the Jordanians, which they had owned going back to the late 1800s. Initially they just wanted the Palestinians to pay rent, but it has escalated into trying to get them evicted. As he points out in the article, while this is perfectly reasonable by itself, there is big unfairness here as the Palestinians in question similarly lost their land (either in West Jerusalem, or elsewhere in Israel, not sure) and are not being offered any restitution.

18 hours ago, neurone said:

All this happening, (since years and counting), and in the last few days the french government forbidding manifestations from french people supporting palestinians...

while they are claiming france is the land of human rights and democracy ?oh come on.   I really feel shame. (and anger)

forbidding manifestations almost never happens here in france, usually. why that now?

Israel is a good buyer of french aircraft warfare btw.  buisness rules... (this amongst other geopolitical reason - but wich also sucks)

shame.

Will Charlie Hebdo be brave and take this trampling of freedom of expression on?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caze said:

No, it's got nothing to do with eminent domain, the owners of the land in question (who are Jewish) have been trying since the 70s to regain land which was taken from them in 1948 by the Jordanians, which they had owned going back to the late 1800s. Initially they just wanted the Palestinians to pay rent, but it has escalated into trying to get them evicted. As he points out in the article, while this is perfectly reasonable by itself, there is big unfairness here as the Palestinians in question similarly lost their land (either in West Jerusalem, or elsewhere in Israel, not sure) and are not being offered any restitution.

sure sounds like the state of Israel took property from Palestinians who'd been forcibly ejected and used it to publicly house the influx of Jewish peoples being shipped in to enable an ethnostate. that's based on essentially just the article (which, i repeat, seems fishy/biased/trash) so assumptions incorrect or not are based on yet a third read of it (it gets worse the more i've read it).

the 'perfectly reasonable' part doesn't work because the state of Israel, which at that time had only existed for a couple of years, was seizing lands of Palestinians who had in some cases been forced out. if there's a flaw in what i'm understanding please point out exactly where.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Extralife said:

Religion is so dumb.

A bit of an aside, but I'd say more, organized religion used to achieve state goals is dumb (sadly it's been co-opted throughout history). Personal religion that facilitates a deeper spiritual understanding and connection with the world and community around a person is pretty cool though.

Back on topic, Israeli air raids have destroyed the Al Jazeera offices in Gaza (more accurately - they destroyed the building where the Al Jazeera offices were housed). Trying to silence reporting on internal situations has always been a hallmark of authoritarian fascists, but the Israeli government is really taking it to the next level.

• Like 2

Just now, chenGOD said:
16 hours ago, Extralife said:

Religion is so dumb.

A bit of an aside, but I'd say more, organized religion used to achieve state goals is dumb (sadly it's been co-opted throughout history). Personal religion that facilitates a deeper spiritual understanding and connection with the world and community around a person is pretty cool though.

don't need made up bullshit to connect with others in the world and in your local community. the 'spiritual' part is moot because there is no spirit, the lazy acceptance of supernatural surreality imposed upon the world is interesting but entirely without basis in fact. the sooner it's left in the dirt of the past the better that all of humanity and the world will be for it.

so, yeah. what Extralife said. religion is so dumb. full stop.

• Like 1

I went to a demo as well, unfortunately we were unsuccessful in resolving the conflict.

Felt pretty good though.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 4