IGNORED

Stereo/mono Reverb and delay pedal

Polytrix

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers had my eye on that actually. Seems to not really market the extent of the reverb tho. Like a minor element rather than main focus of the pedal or am I misunderstanding?

I was going to recommend the Line6 DL4, but that's just delay.... every delay.  They do break down frequently though, so... it's a gamble.  It's the sort of pedal you need a back-up for if you're doing live shows.  But I'd be surprised to ever find a more versatile delay pedal.

3 hours ago, Polytrix said:

Near mint with two expansion cards tho 

Decent. Yeah that would up the price. Mine was mint too but its a bit less mint now ha ha.

Yeah real time manipulation wanted for sure.

dont know why I didn't consider rack fx. Cheaper too. Suppose I'm still suckered in a bit by guitar stomp boxes as I play an increasing amount of guitar. 

This is all very helpful tho so thank you. I suppose multi fx processors as long as they aren't too complex (I like things stripped back) would be fine. I'll keep looking at the tip offs tho thank you!

Those multifx processors are a bit out of budget I'd say... ?

Not looking use daily market tho. I'd say Quadraverb is nice choice.

looking more at the boss DD8 but not sure it's got enough reverb control

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Why not? (Curious)

It's the one with all the 90's character, all over chicago and detroit records back then. Later models are more boring, "better" but ultimately stale sounding. 

If you can find one for the right price and want more hands-on control than a Quadraverb, these are in the same general family (my understanding is that itwas sort of a spinoff of the MIDIverb AND the Quadraverb, and had some algorithms and features that came from both) and sound great in their own way:

alesis_wedge_002.jpg

Don't pay too much for one, though, make sure it includes the power supply, and be prepared to potentially reflow the solder on the power jack (apparently that's a really common failure point; mine was intermittent when I got it), clean the rotary encoder and change the battery.  Normal stuf you might have to do with any vintage gear, and none of it's hard but the battery isn't the usual CR232 (same voltage but completely different form factor) and if you want to swap one of those in with a battery holder you have to be pretty meticulous with it because there's hardly any spare room.

Basically, the audio jacks are solid, the MIDI jacks are average, the faders are above average, the power connector and rotary encoder are a bit sub-par, and the power supply is bulky and proprietary (but common to a lot of late 90s Alesis stuff).

As with everything else the prices looks like they've gotten stupid, though, I'm seeing $200+ on Reverb.  I got mine on eBay in 2015 for $18 at I'd say $100-$120 is the very top of the range I'd consider for one of these.  The cheapest Quadraverb II is $650 on there now, too, which is nuts.

On the other hand, they DO have a really nice, grainy, mid 90s sound to them that doesn't sound like any plugin I've heard, and the reverb decay time goes up to about 130 seconds (and can be smoothly changed from around 2 seconds all the way to maximum without glitching or anything - all of the parameters are glitch-free and available from those faders, so for performance stuff it's petty special).

Prices are very weird now indeed. Everyone's catching on labelling old crap as vintage "piece of history" gems. Akai samplers (2000 & 3000 type models) range between €50-€300. JV1080's are €200ish, 2080's are €300, I even saw a frigging 1010 for €200. Gotta be patient. 

I'm seeing good prices for Quadras and midiverbs here because all the failed guitarists have them collecting dust. Less than €100.

Yeah I'm thinking quadra or midi verb: that sounds interesting rsp but I suppose I'm looking for something a bit more well known?!

i was looking at this too:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/earthquaker-devices-avalanche-run-v2-reverb-delay-pedal/914061?gclid=CjwKCAjwk6P2BRAIEiwAfVJ0rFJaQL_33vZN-TGXv5iOVo94Ey560VNlD6C1lH_J8URPeiSW3A4DfRoCXK8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

but it's a bit too pricey really! 

Is it worth just going for two pedals!?

You might get lucky and find a ensoniq dp2.

I'd be tempted to wait and stretch the budget if nothing comes up and get something like the Specular Tempus.

1 hour ago, chim said:

Prices are very weird now indeed. Everyone's catching on labelling old crap as vintage "piece of history" gems. Akai samplers (2000 & 3000 type models) range between €50-€300. JV1080's are €200ish, 2080's are €300, I even saw a frigging 1010 for €200. Gotta be patient. 

I'm seeing good prices for Quadras and midiverbs here because all the failed guitarists have them collecting dust. Less than €100.

There's a Midiverb 1 (the RCA only, desktop one that some people are obsessed with and I've always been kind of interested in) up for $80 now, which would be about normal for a couple years back except there's no (proprietary) power supply on this one, so even that's overpriced.

BUT it seems like there are a lot of original Peavey Univerbs up for around that price right now, and ever since I got one of those in that big free gear haul last year it's quickly turned into my second most used reverb after the OTO Bam.  It's just a really basic preset box like the original MIDIverb (but with level and mix controls at least, and a proper rack unit) and it's definitely not high end but there's something about it that just sounds RIGHT, especially algorithms M and N (the two longest reverbs, with "warm" and "bright" variants), which are really nice on synths, like bargain basement Vangelis sounds. Clipping the inpu can sound good on some material, too.

Actually the only reason I didn't recommend it here is that it doesn't have delays and it's VERY basic (It's just 4 algorithms with a few presets each), but there's something about it that just works for me. It's apparently from 1987 but it sounds more like early 80s.

This is the version I can vouch for is this one:

s-l1000.jpg

I know nothing about the Univerb II.

EDIT: I was trying to figure out if this was an OEM version of something and I didn't, but I found out that Peavey auctioned of $12m worth of unsold and returned products, parts, and manufacturing tools last summer, and now I'm imagining stuff like getting a lot of 10 80s Peavey amplifiers, or 16 800 watt power amps, or 17 12u SKB rack cases, or a palette full of boxed mixers. Looks like hardly any of it sold.

https://cagp.industrialbid.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/4200

Archived