IGNORED

Stereo/mono Reverb and delay pedal

Polytrix

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, chim said:

It's the one with all the 90's character, all over chicago and detroit records back then. Later models are more boring, "better" but ultimately stale sounding. 

I had a Alesis Midiverb 2 but got rid off it. Shame.

Boss RV-70 rack unit is a bunch of Roland SRV-330 algorithms (minus the flagship ones) in a box with 200 user-programmable presets and minimal onboard editing (four parameters per patch but everything available by sysex if you're brave - nobody has made an editor yet but it's pretty well documented in the manual).

If you look around you can get one for under $100 pretty easily and for that price it's pretty nice. Nicer than the Boss reverb pedals I've heard in that price range, and it also has some delays.

Not going to change your life but it's a bit of a sleeper.

Seems like the consensus is always that the Alesis reverbs to watch out for are

-Midiverb 1 or 2

-Quadraverb II

-Microverb (1 or 2 but especially 1; different from the Nanoverb)

What's the difference between a quadraverb and a quad 2? The eBay link I sent is just makes as a "quadraverb".

dont think I've found a similar many midiverbs but is the 2 better than the 1 if I find one?

I've never had my hands on either Midiverb but there are people who swear by the 1 and people who swear by the 2.  Those are the ones to get from that series by all accounts.  The 2 is more professional, the 1 is a plastic box with RCA jacks. 

There's some discussion of the Midiverbs here:

https://valhalladsp.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/rip-keith-barr/

The basic is because of hardware limitations it can't multiply so all of the algorithms had to be implemented without real multiplication, only bit shifting, and that gave it a really unique sound.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll want to open it up and swap out the battery for a new CR2302 and holder so it never needs soldering for a battery change again.  It's a pretty simple ob, if you aren't comfortable doing it then you should be able to find someone else to give you a hand easily enough and chances are it still has some life left in it, they tend to last a lot longer than they're specced to.

It probably wouldn't start up without the battery, in theory you should be able to run it with a dead battery and jsut won't retain your user patches when it's powered off, but in practice it seems like most things give you some kind of error message or weird jumbled display or similar if the battery dies.

It's just good practice to always replace them on old gear BEFORE you use it and save a bunch of stuff, but other than old computers and 80s Korg analog synths that used alkaline batteries that wil leak and ruin stuff, there's not much real risk with leaving the old batteries in.  Lithium cells tend to just stop working, I've only ever seen one leak and it was a tiny amount that didn't even get close to anything but one little spot on the battery itself.  And it was something like 35 years old and still worked.

So not something to worry about, just something to keep in mind with most old gear.

The one Alesis thing I've put a new battery in was that Wedge and it used a different battery type that's compatible but not straightforward to swap out for a clip because the size is different, so I would wait until you have it in-hand before you buy any parts.  If it's something other than a 2032 you can use an off-board mounting clip like this (and velcro it to the side of the enclosure or something):

https://www.amazon.com/Honbay-CR2032-Button-Battery-Holder/dp/B072L6DG6F/

Seller said this in response: 

''I’m not sure if the battery has been swapped out on this, I’m not really that technically minded I’m afraid. But what I can say, is that it’s stored the settings on patches between recording sessions.

Hope this info helps!'' - So I mean, sounds good to me! 

Excited!

I'm sure it's fine now, jsut something to do when you have the chance because those batteries were really only expected to last 5 or 6 years but a lot of them are pushing 30. Amazing, really.

Midiverbs are noisy, you might want to get a new power supply if it's the original ps which will help, not worth getting the old one recapped.  Note that there are two different power supplies used with the Midiverb 2.  I used to have a bookmarked page with how to tell the difference and now I can't find it, will post it if I find it again.  Just quickly checked and Ebay resellers seems to be aware that there's two possible power supplies.   

On 6/4/2020 at 6:06 PM, Polytrix said:

Wo I paid I think £30 or £25 for my Midiverb and got rid of it for £20. I feel both clever and an idiot at the same time lol.

Archived