IGNORED

Bandcamp embed - am I doing this wrong?

willochill

I feel like an idiot but I can't get the Bandcamp Player Embed to work. Basically I go to the bandcamp track/album, go to "embed", choose layout, choose "wordpress" (not html), and copy and paste the shortcode into the "Bandcamp Player Embed." However, it always comes up with a 400 error code, as seen below. (Or maybe you don't see it!) What am I doing wrong?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2020 at 8:51 PM, Joyrex said:

Yep - so in your case:

So after a long phase of research I found how to embed an album but usually I do not need that. How did you manage to link a track, track number 9 here?

10 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

So after a long phase of research I found how to embed an album but usually I do not need that. How did you manage to link a track, track number 9 here?

Click on the individual track on BC, it will give a unique URL, then embed as usual. Joyrex had it right.

9 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Click on the individual track on BC, it will give a unique URL, then embed as usual.

No, you can't embed a single track this way - Bandcamp releases can have an arbitrary track as the default preview, so some embeds show that, but the single track id doesn't work with the embed tool, only the full release id, so you'll get the release's default preview, nothing else. If you can demonstrate otherwise - I've tried about everything I could come up with, to no avail - I'd love to be wrong.

Edited by dcom
  • Farnsworth 1

6 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Maybe I’ve texted specific songs, but I swear I’ve seen tracks embedded too?

Please demonstrate, I'm about as sure as it gets that it's impossible with the current forum editor. I've looked into how the Invision editor could be extended to allow copy-pasted Bandcamp release URLs to be transformed into embeds, it doesn't seem too hard, but see my writeup above.

Edited by dcom

18 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Click the Buy Track button, then embed that URL.

Embed it how? Please describe in more detail, as you seem to be able to do it.

Edited by dcom

13 minutes ago, dcom said:

Embed it how? Please describe in more detail, as you seem to be able to do it.

I can only do it on desktop; in the body of your post, turn off the Source button, paste the embed link, then turn Source back on.

56 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I can only do it on desktop; in the body of your post, turn off the Source button, paste the embed link, then turn Source back on.

I'm on desktop exclusively, and my editor doesn't have a Source button - so you're pasting the embed as raw HTML. You're using a feature that's only available to mods, because exposing the Source button to all users is deemed a security risk. Mods can probably post HTML, but us plebs can't, it's a group setting.

I've tried to inject raw HTML to the editor (via browser developer tools) and I can get the embed to show when I'm editing, but because I don't have the permission to use HTML in the editor, the embed is stripped away on save; it's a sane thing to do (validate and filter your inputs, encode your outputs - very basic web information security). if raw HTML is allowed, it will open plenty of security issues within the forum, so I suggest not turning it on for all users.

So, my claim stands - as a normal user without the permission to edit post as raw HTML you can't embed a single track; it's not possible using the Bandcamp Player Embed button in the editor - it accepts only the numeric release id as explained in my writeup on the subject.

Here's a quote from a discussion concerning the feature:

Please ensure that your group that you belong to has permission to post HTML. You can find this in ACP -> Members -> Groups -> edit group -> Can post HTML?

Please note: it is only recommend to provide this to a group which you have the upmost confidence and trust with and not the whole community. The ability to post HTML can not only cause intentional malicious harm but unintentional as well. Thus, it is usually disabled by default. 

So don't enable it to all of us, I can think of plenty of ways to exploit it. I do infosec, so please trust me on this.

Edited by dcom