IGNORED

Rpzmqkl (Modular Noise)

very cool sound design! modular is fun ?

i would prefer to hear it kick into some post-african repitition at some point (ideally by the 30 second mark). but i realise that might not be of interest to you!

I agree with zoid -  cool variation from a generative patch but a bit more repetition/something to latch onto that's not constantly changing would make it more approachable.

Sometimes it's more about the exploration/journey and the results don't matter so much ?

Thanks for the comments! Regarding what is in my Eurorack set up, I have a lot of Make Noise modules, in particular from the ‘Soundhack’ series, these are digital modules coded by Tom Erbe. However the main sound generator in this patch was a Bubblesound uLFO triangle wave (it’s a triangle core LFO that works in audio range) being FM’d by another uLFO triangle and the sound is then shaped by an 4MS Pingable Envelope Generator. The PEG envelope also modulates the 2nd uLFO’s 1volt per octave pitch input. The PEG gives off spasmodic ‘Buchla-esque’ bursts of notes when you modulate all of it’s CV inputs. It’s useful for strange physical modelling the way the envelopes morph shapes, much more organic than ADSR style envelopes. 

Here’s another piece heavily featuring FM’d uLFOs as the sound source and PEG as the envelope: 

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool, I get what the others were saying about repetitive stuff but I think this totally linear non-pattern based stuff is wicked, always something unexpected. Sounds like pure sonic experimentation, like something out of a chemical laboratory expressed in sound... I could sit at a modular synth for hours and let it tickle my ears

Thanks! I like how you compare it to something out of a chemical laboratory, I think of a modular synth noodle as a kind of expression of psychedelic technology. Modulations that modulate one another can become almost infinite.

I’m holding back on posting Soundclouds for a while as I’m working on a full length album of this stuff. 

Hey webby, I just came across the idea of Quantussy cells while reading about some ciat lonbarde circuits.  Thought you might be really interested in this idea since you're searching for maximum variation of a single generative patch:

Once you have a ring of quantussy cells, it’s wide open what you can do with it to automate generative patches.  Tuning of initial parameters for rates, frequencies, modulation depths, etc., is essential to obtaining a more musical result.  Nothing ever repeats exactly in this kind of patch, even from one moment to the next.  But there is enough self-similarity to create a character.

http://pugix.com/synth/eurorack-quantussy-cells/

Thanks for posting that! It’s intense reading those descriptions but I think I got the gist of it after a few re-readings. In hardware a ring of quantussy cells would require a lot of sample and holds. Given that you need two for every LFO, I could only manage a ring of 3 cells with my current set up. None-the-less I think I’ll try it out. While I like the neatness of the idea of a ‘ring’ of oscillators, I’m thinking why not a ‘web’ of oscillators where the outputs intermingle through the use of matrix mixers?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived