IGNORED

Use AI To Generate New Yamaha DX7 Patches

Joyrex

https://www.thisdx7cartdoesnotexist.com/

And via Engadget: https://www.engadget.com/yamaha-dx7-ai-patches-155010833.html

Musicians in the 1980s had a love-hate relationship with Yamaha’s DX7 synthesizer. Its digital sound engine was unlike the analog synths that came before it, and created a unique timbre, but the thing was a beast to program. (Modern FM synths are substantially more manageable.) This led most users to simply stick with the presets. A new AI tool could help DX7 fans move beyond those basic sounds, though. This DX7 Cartridge Does Not Exist uses machine learning to generate new patches based on a sample pool of hand-crafted ones, and creates a file that can be loaded either onto a genuine unit or the popular Dexed emulator.

While the programming does mean that the generated patches will be randomized to an extent, the fact that they have a sample set to be modeled after should help in providing sounds that are actually usable. The site claims that it’s highly unlikely that any two patches will sound exactly the same. Hopefully it will enable musicians to move beyond the admittedly iconic electric piano and huge bass sounds of the synth, while still retaining its quirky hallmarks. It’s been nearly 40 years since the DX7 became a studio staple, but this tool could bring new life to an aged synth.

Nice.

The software editor for the TX81Z can make some crazy noises too. No real skill needed either - You can just mess around with all the parameters at random to get some serious FM twangy glitch shite going. I ran the attached sample through Ableton stock midi effects and the TX Software Editor.

Sample wav attached - Feel free to use and abuse for your projects (check your volume before playing!!) ?

TX_1_200bpm.wav

Tha'ts what I like about the DX series keyboards I've gotten to mess with, no FM skill needed at all because you aren't menu diving, you just pick a parameter and tweak the data slider, then repeat with another parameter, plus you can sit in edit mode and play the parameters in real time.  For weird FM sounds they're pretty accessible IMO but I guess if you wanted to program something "realistic" back in the 80s when people didn't realize FM is for weird sounds it would be a lot harder.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived