IGNORED

Modern techno... Where to start?

watmmisdead

hey! Ive never looked at the techno genre, and im sure im probably missing some great music and Id like to start exploring the genre. 

Any suggestions of artist, labels, tracks?

Thanks

my honest answer would be to listen to a bunch of jeff mills and mike banks sets from the 90s, write down all the tracks they play, listen to those and then see what else those artists have made. go from there

Request taken at face value.

Here of some of the more orthodox technos artists I raete:

Andy Stott, Blawan, The Black Dog (current incarnation), Surgeon/British Murder Boys, Convextion, Ellen Allien, Function/Sandwell District, Luke Slater, Martyn, Plastikman/Richie Hawtin, Rrose, Shed, Wolfgang Voigt, Thomas Fehlman & Kompakt

Also classics like Basic Channel, Derrick May, Juan Atkins/Model 500, Carl Craig et al. still hold up

12 hours ago, Ayya Khema said:

hey! Ive never looked at the techno genre, and im sure im probably missing some great music and Id like to start exploring the genre. 

Any suggestions of artist, labels, tracks?

I'm going to go completely shameless and toot my own horn; I've been DJing techno for yonks and there's selected archive of my sets on SoundCloud - many of them have detailed track listings with artists and labels so they'll give you a quick start if the selection interests you.

If that's too tedious, I'll do a write-up.

4 hours ago, dr lopez said:

my honest answer would be to listen to a bunch of jeff mills and mike banks sets from the 90s, write down all the tracks they play, listen to those and then see what else those artists have made. go from there

Yeah, such like these (ok pretty far from modern techno but whatevah)

Spoiler

As for modern stuff, dunno if I really need anything else than the recent output of Panzerkreuz/Bunker?

Spoiler

Honestly, techno is so vast and cross pollinated with every other genre now. What sort of sound are you looking for? "Pure" drum machine techno?

Some stuff I have listened to lately....

KInk, x0sar, Andy Stott, Demdike Stare, Rrose,  Shifted, Ancient Methods, SNTS...

I would imagine Resident Advisor Podcast would be a good place to start. However I don't know how you would separate the wheat from the chaff, as I imagine there's a veritable endless bounty of techno over there (and also a veritable bounty of sonic turd)

Varg, now known as Varg2TM because of a C&D is a Swedish techno artist that myself and my friends really like. It's got a modern feel to it but is more ambient than normal techno.

As much as I love Derrick May, Juan Atkins & all the pioneers, I'd recommend Rrose and Peter Van Hoesen as fantastic, forward thinking techno musicians.

• 4 weeks later...

Awakenings Festival happened online over the weekend, they used the original venue but it was empty.  Looks pretty cool though.  Amelie Lens is my pick of the sets i have heard so far - great DJ and so much energy in her selections.  Rate her Fabric compilation too if you fancy seeking that out.

Awakenings is the dutch BLING for techno festival.  Big production, great venue, lasers and pyro and lights... the sound quality is top notch. 

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:

Awakenings Festival happened online over the weekend, they used the original venue but it was empty.  Looks pretty cool though.  Amelie Lens is my pick of the sets i have heard so far - great DJ and so much energy in her selections.  Rate her Fabric compilation too if you fancy seeking that out.

Awakenings is the dutch BLING for techno festival.  Big production, great venue, lasers and pyro and lights... the sound quality is top notch. 

She crushed it at Movement last year. Dark filthy techno that made the crowd just lose their shit. Better than Orbital from a rave perspective (but Orbital has nso much nostalgia for me)

I don't know what you mean exactly by modern techno @Ayya Khema, but I would say that a lot of Aleksi Perala's material in the Colundi releases qualifies:

Although I'm sure you're familiar with Aleksi's work.

Acronym is also really fantastic:

WATMM's own Mosca produces some great techno:

Lot of replies here that will keep you busy and hopefully figure out what niche styles and artists you like. 

If you really need to see stuff from this or last year that's highly recommended RA's EOY lists and spotify playlists are always solid.

Archived