IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Black Lives Matter and the subsequent protests of the movement. Police brutality should be the focus (since that's what started the most current protests), but I'm sure we'll also discuss a wide swatch of other topics related to this. It's a pretty gigantic subject.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

I'll share this video again since I think it hits on a core issue of racism, economics, and how they're intertwined with white supremacy.

Please share links/images/whatever to protests and where we can donate or make a difference.

I feel a little silly for saying this, but please be respectful.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

moving stuff going on. protests all over. germany, london, amsterdam. 

love this, which the DC mayor did, along with demanding that trump removes his troops:

200605181742-02-black-lives-matter-dc-street-exlarge-169.jpg

the road is directly in front of the white house and runs into lafayette square, and has been renamed Black Lives Matter Plaza

laf.thumb.jpg.5b4d35969359d74e6d62baf8b8a0a47f.jpg

Edited by very honest
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, very honest said:

moving stuff going on. protests all over. imageproxy.php?img=&key=2dcc633b0f3f1e2fgermany, london, amsterdam. 

Yeah, here in the netherlands as well.

Although here, it's more aimed towards institutional racism in the Netherlands and not about white supremacy. The institutional racism feels like it has more to do with ignorance and unawareness in the first place. And less with white supremacy beliefs. At least, up until now. Those beliefs might be less outspoken around here, but still present. You never know. White supremacy which is silent just looks like ignorance. 

Anyways, if you're familiar with the whole "Black Pete" debate, his days seem finally numbered. That took way too long for people to realize that shit should be part of history and not some tradition to keep going. 

Good to realize that it's broader than just about the situation in the US. 

My personal takeaway, is that I used to think it would be better to just be silent (or rather, passive) as a white guy and let the people of color have their say. But now it's clear that remainig silent will help to keep change from happening. So you could end up being part of the problem anyways. Even if you (silently) support change. 

Might have been some byproduct of those discussions on "agency". Which led to a transition from white guys having opinions on everything, to just keep your mouth shut (and listen, ideally). Which was a welcome change, I guess. But not the end point. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Any idea when's Google earth gonna update the pics of that area? 

no idea but here's a good aerial

edit: fake

Edited by very honest
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many black lives these Black Lives Matter protests will cost (due to COVID-19 deaths). It seems to me the protest are for a good cause but now is a bad time for them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

in some places the protests have become peace police barbecues

very pathetic and reformist liberalism, as well as disrespectful and racist against revolutionary black leaders who want actual change not concessions

Edited by Zeffolia
  • Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

^ Innocent black people have actually been murdered by the "black lives matter" protests so far

By who? If the answer is The Police well they were already being murdering black people in their homes (for DECADES) so strength in numbers, right?

Edited by Taupe Beats
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Doesn't it seems fake though? I zoomed in and the letters go beyond the road and over the trees? 

you're right. replies here get into it. was a photoshop. 

apparently this is real:

Edited by very honest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, very honest said:

you're right. replies here get into it. was a photshop. 

apparently this is real:

Yeah it's also too symmetric to be drone or chopper but what do I know... 

That one seems more like it... 

Edited by Tim_J
Ah ok might be satellite...

Is police brutality really so widespread? I mean I know it's a thing and all but the sheer size and amount of violence of the protests seems somehow disproportionate and counterproductive. Has it turned into a kind of general protest against whatever, for everyone and their mothers to partake in to vent various frustrations? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/lateef

https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/news-brief-cops-push-outside-agitator-line-exploit-real-fears-of-far-right-violence-to-delegitimize-protests

Just now, ooqpoo said:

Is police brutality really so widespread? I mean I know it's a thing and all but the sheer size and amount of violence of the protests seems somehow disproportionate and counterproductive. Has it turned into a kind of general protest against whatever, for everyone and their mothers to partake in to vent various frustrations? 

the US has more prisoners than any other country in the world, in absolute numbers not percentage wise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Not only is policing brutal in all of its forms since the end goal is jailing and imprisonment, but policing in the US is done with guns and often surplus military equipment, which puts a military mindset into the cops themselves, even in scenarios where they should have de-escalated.  The abuse is not even just physical, but psychological and legal as well, for instance planting drugs on people or using their privileged police testimony to convict arrestees of crimes that barely fit what happened.  The protests are not disproportionate in fact they are not big enough.  And in general, especially with modern entertainment based domestication taking up such a large part of the economy, it's not something that happens that protesting erupts about something which is greater than it deserves, unless it's trivial or based on misinformation, which this scenario is not.

• Like 5

Good explanation! 

I still hope they come up with a better slogan though. I know folks of all colours n' creeds are coming together on this, but 'Black Lives Matter' is pretty condescending no? Like that should be a given, and those who for whatever backward reasons disagree won't change their minds just like that. 

These fascist pigs and their supporters need all the pummeling they can get. 

4 hours ago, Tim_J said:

Why yellow though?

Yellow can be seen from space; it’s just for orbiting astronauts anyway

Edited by xox

Things are pretty cool round my way (SE England), and my employer Royal Mail has always been zero racism, in fact it's one of the joys of working there as we all get along famously and there is almost every culture and gender whatever under the sun there. Trust me you can be whatever you like and no one bats an eye lid. So I'm a bit wary of getting sucked into some American style sensationalism (even though it's justified). I have no doubt different parts of the country are entirely different but round my way most folks get on with each other.

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 2

https://tubitv.com/movies/372320/the_house_i_live_in?link-action=play&utm_source=google-feed&tracking=google-feed

The House I Live In. A documentary dealing with the war on drugs and prison industrial complex. If you know anyone that doesn’t understand institutional racism and how bad it is, show them this documentary. The picture will become abundantly clear.