IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

Spokane is arguably the most liberal part of inland WA. But it's also just outside the border with Idaho, which has historically been a white supremacist stronghold. But I'm not sure if that's where these toothless meth zombies are originally from.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:24 PM, Braintree said:

:::puts on a pot of coffee:::

So I guess I proved my point pretty well since you're not addressing my argument and instead making another one.

You'll want to get familiar with this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Your point was that police are primarily the killers of black people, which is false, and your response is a Wikipedia page on logical fallacies. 

57 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Your point was that police are primarily the killers of black people, which is false, and your response is a Wikipedia page on logical fallacies. 

No, my point was that police are the primary killers in police killings. When they shoot innocent people? That's why we're pissed off?

Black people are killed by police disproportionately, when considering all police killings. This has already been established, and it's a statistical fact.

Edited by Braintree
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

this is not going to go down well

i watched a bit of the BET awards the other night and the host mentioned that "Terry Crews was not available.. i'm not surprised" and i didn't know what that was about but I guess in the black community there's something sour about him in some circles??? 

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

this is not going to go down well

What an emotional rollercoaster.

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

Why do people continue having opinions about shit they don't understand

This is something that, I think, Americans have a particular problem with. I reserve having opinions on subjects in which I do not have the adequate knowledge. That's all.

There's kind of a social obligation for a lot of people to make themselves look like they know what they're talking about, but don't. Speculation is not truth. Having an opinion does not make you more learned. Perhaps this was taught ages ago and it was rooted out of our education system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

I guess in the black community there's something sour about him in some circles??? 

around the time people began getting metooed, terry crews accused hollywood executive adam venit of groping him. this created a house divided within the black community with a majority women supporting him for facing his abuser, and a majority men- most vocally led by dl hughley- questioning how this was possible given crews' size. this led to some back and foreth betwix the two and ended with crews pondering whether he should slap the shit out of d.l. for coming at him outta pocket.

fast forward a few months later and gabrielle union accused AGT and simon cowell of wrongdoing and terry crews chimed in that he had never experienced such wrongdoing or discrimination- leading union to feel thrown under the bus. crews then released 2 (since deleted) tweets: the first claiming that he is a hog that doesn't owe chickens (women) any bacon for their eggs, and that his wife is the only woman on earth he has to please.

Edited by Nebraska
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Braintree said:
3 hours ago, dingformung said:

Why do people continue having opinions about shit they don't understand

This is something that, I think, Americans have a particular problem with. I reserve having opinions on subjects in which I do not have the adequate knowledge. That's all.

There's kind of a social obligation for a lot of people to make themselves look like they know what they're talking about, but don't. Speculation is not truth. Having an opinion does not make you more learned. Perhaps this was taught ages ago and it was rooted out of our education system.

From my own experience I can tell you that it's not exclusively an American problem

• Like 1
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

social media has also made it so everyone has to have an opinion on everything at all times in case they get asked about it. i think there's some mass delusion that the opinions on all the things will be aired on TMZ or the View or go viral in a video and blah blah and then they'll have to defend their opinions or some such bullshit. 

i think there's a level of ignorance that is truly bliss. it's possible to be informed about the important shit and aware and making informed decisions w/o having to know about 3000 twitter spats over really dumb shit... but maybe this is what people talk about when they hang out w/their friends? "did you hear that chloe kardashian isn't really a billionaire? and that when bob hope farts plasma comes out?"

Haha, I think you're overthinking it my dude.

Most of those people don't give a shit about how they're perceived.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Speculation is not truth. Having an opinion does not make you more learned. Perhaps this was taught ages ago and it was rooted out of our education system.

i believe this issue has to do with weither or not you're familiar with the scientific method, critical thinking and such. secondary education does next to nothing to promote critical thinking. the students who learn how to use it are mostly those who follow a scientific cursus since science has epistemology at its core.

i myself discovered only recently how the scientific method works and inspected my many past mistakes in reasoning. i was terrible at science in school, didn't study further than secondary level and those knowledge gaps left me puzzled when it comes to think methodically. 

so i think the type of cursus you followed and your level of education play a big role in your critical thinking ability. but then there's people like my mother who was a pharmacist and yet believes in countless things. which tends to prove that a good understanding of the scientific method does not automatically lead to great thinking skills (a good example of that would be the case of the chloroquine pope didier raoult who's a complete clown when it comes to epistemology)

• Like 1

Crews' statement is entirely uncontroversial. He didn't say BLM has become 'black lives better', he said ppl need to ensure it doesn't become that. What's the deal with people getting angry with and arguing over things they invent in their own heads? There's enough real shit in the world to get angry about without having to invent new stuff.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

10 minutes ago, caze said:

Crews' statement is entirely uncontroversial. He didn't say BLM has become 'black lives better', he said ppl need to ensure it doesn't become that. What's the deal with people getting angry with and arguing over things they invent in their own heads? There's enough real shit in the world to get angry about without having to invent new stuff.

It's not uncontroversial. It's completely inappropriate to speculate about BLM becoming "black lives better" in the situation we have now regarding racism, structural or not. It's ignorant "centrist" drivel

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1