IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

18 minutes ago, luke viia said:

man who the hell actually cares what terry crews is tweeting about? I mean I like the guy alright but c'mon

100%.  Though I'm genuinely confused as to what 'black lives better' means, by context I infer that it's some sort of watered-down version of BLM, yet  making shit better for the aggrieved would be a good fucking start (?) :shrug:

10 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

100%.  Though I'm genuinely confused as to what 'black lives better' means, by context I infer that it's some sort of watered-down version of BLM, yet  making shit better for the aggrieved would be a good fucking start (?) :shrug:

He doesn't refer to a watered-down version of BLM he means that the BLM movement might become a black supremacy movement (black lives being better than white lives) which is utter non-sense and can only come from a position of complete historical and political ignorance. It's not surprising since he is a very privileged person that's also black so he might think: "Ah come on dudes, being black isn't all that bad.". Also, famous people like to say things for the sake of saying things, because no matter how people react, he will benefit from the attention.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, hijexx said:

Guess the "summer of love" (mayor of Seattle's words) isn't going so well!

andy ngo is a fucking hack. 

24 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

'black lives better' in his post could be seen as opposing affirmative action.  if youre not familiar with the concept, its often discussed in the US context of universities accepting more minorities, but it could be applied to all aspects of societies.  the left in the US generally agrees its needed to fight for more equality in institutions.  so by opposing this concept, he's at least roughly on the same side as the people saying 'all lives matter' and/or claiming 'reverse racism'

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

Thanks for the lowdown guys, Terry Crews seems like an okay dude so even though I don't really care his opinion on this or that, it's helpful at least to know what he's on about.

/Obligatory

pKKDtFs.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BobDobalina said:

You are right in thinking that it doesn't make any sense. It's another attempt to say "All Lives Matter" but taking it from a place to make anyone feel guilty about caring about black lives. The mission statement is on the goddamn website. You can look it up yourself. it doesn't say anything about making black lives matter more than white ones. What a bunch of dumbass fuckery that I even have to address this dumb shit.

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

andy ngo is a fucking hack. 

Messenger vs message. I just think it's funny how the mayor of Seattle seems to be fine with CHAZ but it's a different story when they show up at her house.

11 hours ago, dingformung said:

He doesn't refer to a watered-down version of BLM he means that the BLM movement might become a black supremacy movement (black lives being better than white lives) which is utter non-sense and can only come from a position of complete historical and political ignorance. It's not surprising since he is a very privileged person that's also black so he might think: "Ah come on dudes, being black isn't all that bad.". Also, famous people like to say things for the sake of saying things, because no matter how people react, he will benefit from the attention.

Do you deny there are black supremacists? Would you deny there are any black supremacists within the BLM movement? If you did it would be ironic, given you talk about historical and political ignorance. Clearly lots of people are pushing their own agendas via BLM, some people within it insisting it's a fundamentally Marxist operation (people associated with 70s far left terrorists), there are members of the Nation of Islam involved with it - or people associated with them, most just want the police to stop murdering black people. Being a leaderless organisation it's easy for anyone to attempt to use it to push their own agenda. I think these people are probably a small minority, and unlikely to have much impact in general, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be condemned. 

To dismiss out of the hand the notion that hate might breed hate would have to be one of the most profoundly historically ignorant things anyone could say about humans.

Crews didn't say it 'might become' black supremacist, simply that it should not. Hard to argue against that, unless you don't have a problem with the idea of black supremacy. There is nothing wrong with a clear statement of your moral principles.

34 minutes ago, caze said:

Do you deny there are black supremacists? Would you deny there are any black supremacists within the BLM movement? If you did it would be ironic, given you talk about historical and political ignorance. Clearly lots of people are pushing their own agendas via BLM, some people within it insisting it's a fundamentally Marxist operation (people associated with 70s far left terrorists), there are members of the Nation of Islam involved with it - or people associated with them, most just want the police to stop murdering black people. Being a leaderless organisation it's easy for anyone to attempt to use it to push their own agenda. I think these people are probably a small minority, and unlikely to have much impact in general, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be condemned. 

To dismiss out of the hand the notion that hate might breed hate would have to be one of the most profoundly historically ignorant things anyone could say about humans.

Crews didn't say it 'might become' black supremacist, simply that it should not. Hard to argue against that, unless you don't have a problem with the idea of black supremacy. There is nothing wrong with a clear statement of your moral principles.

I don't deny that all movements can be occupied by political forces that have nothing to do with the original ideas and intends of the movement and be perverted to the point of fascism. But after hundreds of years of colonialism, slavery, racism and white supremacy through out virtually all dimensions of society black people only from the last half of the last century on could find a voice and protest against this multidimensional trauma and injustice this sort of world order has left, it is tasteless to try and discredit this movement as potentially becoming as bad as the thing it is protesting against. There is nothing that even remotely implies that BLM will in this or any parallel universe become a black supremacist movement that aims on suppressing white people. "Simply stating that it should not become 'black lives better'" completely misses the point.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, hijexx said:

Guess the "summer of love" (mayor of Seattle's words) isn't going so well!

The Washington examiner is a well-known right wing rag. Not worth the paper it’s printed on.

3 hours ago, hijexx said:

Messenger vs message. I just think it's funny how the mayor of Seattle seems to be fine with CHAZ but it's a different story when they show up at her house.

I thought she ordered it taken back? 

re:Crews - isn’t he referencing animal farm? 

21 hours ago, dingformung said:
21 hours ago, Braintree said:
On 6/30/2020 at 12:34 PM, dingformung said:

Why do people continue having opinions about shit they don't understand

This is something that, I think, Americans have a particular problem with. I reserve having opinions on subjects in which I do not have the adequate knowledge. That's all.

There's kind of a social obligation for a lot of people to make themselves look like they know what they're talking about, but don't. Speculation is not truth. Having an opinion does not make you more learned. Perhaps this was taught ages ago and it was rooted out of our education system.

From my own experience I can tell you that it's not exclusively an American problem

“Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.”

BetheLightthatradiatesunconditionalLoveForgiveHealandhaveFun:)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, very honest said:

people state a premise and don't bother stating the conclusion and then the entirety of their argument can be incorrectly assumed

fixed

5 minutes ago, very honest said:

if you're discussing talking points that happen to be a premise for a conclusion that counterargues the cause of the blm movement,

Are you suggesting that the Crews tweet is that sort of talking point?

What if we thought the BLM movement was important but a lot of the discussion around it is hyperbolic and doesn’t contribute to finding solutions?