IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

i must be really online and jaded because this strikes me as totally bizarre. I applaud this girl's decision to film this incident, and for that she deserves recognition (which she has already received) but the sobering reality is that it's one of many incidents of police brutality filmed on smartphones. a drop in an ocean really. Events outside of her control and influence caused the George Floyd incident to become oversized and symbolic vs other incidents that were filmed, such as the Eric Garner killing. Ramsey Orta "deserves" this award just as much as Frazier, but he was instead arrested in a plea deal sting iirc. Would Frazier even get this if the jury verdict on Chauvin was not guilty? This "right place, right time" award is also directly in conflict with previous Pulitzer special citation awards in journalism. Can we give a posthumous award to Zapruder?

• Like 1

I agree Zapruder is monumental in history, but this young woman's video caused worldwide protests, even the Rodney King beating didn't revolutionize how some see race in America to this extent.

I agree Zapruder is monumental in history, but this young woman's video caused worldwide protests, even the Rodney King beating didn't revolutionize how some see race in America to this extent.

I personally don’t believe the George Floyd incident and media fallout has done much of anything to “revolutionize” how some see race in America other than further anger and radicalize white supremacists. I am fully expecting a similar incident to occur with much less media attention and the officer will walk.
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, dr lopez said:

I personally don’t believe the George Floyd incident and media fallout has done much of anything to “revolutionize” how some see race in America other than further anger and radicalize white supremacists. I am fully expecting a similar incident to occur with much less media attention and the officer will walk.

i live in minneapolis and last week cops shot a guy to death, said he was shooting them first, passenger in the car with the guy said he wasn't shooting. body cams were not on, cops will not be releasing the names of the officers involved. 

same old shit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, Braintree said:

Derek Chauvin guilty of murder in George Floyd's death

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/derek-chauvin-verdict-reached-trial-over-george-floyd-s-death-n1264565

Get fucked, Derek.

sentenced to 22 1/2 years in prison

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-sentencing-23c52021812168c579b3886f8139c73d

dude will be in ad seg @ oak park but it's still fair to say he'll have to check in correctly considering his high profile case and him being law enforcement. 

7 hours ago, chim said:

Floyd is a joke, why the hell is a a criminal shit serving as the mouthpiece of BLM? Is that the best they could pull off? There's graffiti of this idiot like he's a hero. The officer being punished had it coming but the dude held a pregnant woman at gunpoint, not really hero material. Sorry. 

I think it’s ok to be a criminal and not be murdered extra-judicially.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I think it’s ok to be a criminal and not be murdered extra-judicially.

This has nothing to do with the point/argument he’s making. E.g., We are making heroes of men like George Floyd and detracting from great men like John Muir. Welcome to damnation 

2 minutes ago, Ethel said:

This has nothing to do with the point/argument he’s making. E.g., We are making heroes of men like George Floyd and detracting from great men like John Muir. Welcome to damnation 

floyd hasn't been made a hero. his image is a symbol of police brutality. you're confusing the idea of a hero as some kind of powerful life story of grand accomplishments with the idea of a regular person who was unjustly executed by the police.

i live 4 block from where floyd was killed. no one thinks he was a hero lol. it's a reminder of how fucked up our society is. kinda weird you don't get this?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

floyd hasn't been made a hero. his image is a symbol of police brutality. you're confusing the idea of a hero as some kind of powerful life story of grand accomplishments with the idea of a regular person who was unjustly executed by the police.

i live 4 block from where floyd was killed. no one thinks he was a hero lol. it's a reminder of how fucked up our society is. kinda weird you don't get this?

Making not made bub

14 minutes ago, Ethel said:

There is a difference between a hero and a martyr.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ethel said:

Floyd’s not a hero, nor is anyone making him one. Instead he is being used as an image in the fight against systemic racism, which is particularly pronounced in US policing. 
The point he was making is moot because a) it’s not accurate (no one is making a hero out of Floyd), b) he’s not the mouthpiece of BLM (and never has been), and c) no one should be murdered extrajudicially. 

6 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

after i kill someone in the heat of aggression i always love to look back at their life to ensure they deserved to die for stuff i hadn't known about.

this is called "justice"

Have you seen this documentary about justice reform?

Spoiler

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, usagi said:

what's John Muir got to do with any of this?

I had the same question. I think @Ethel's contention is that we should be venerating John Muir more because of climate change and ecological reasons. All well and good, but that cunt has a ton of fucking tributes and honours. So we're not exactly forgetting about him.

oh, so it is that John Muir. I was trying to find some other possibly contemporaneous/living guy actually connected/relevant to the issue being discussed here.

I mean yeah, John Muir's cool and that, but why doesn't my man Flahbulb get any fucking respect?

9 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I had the same question. I think @Ethel's contention is that we should be venerating John Muir more because of climate change and ecological reasons. All well and good, but that cunt has a ton of fucking tributes and honours. So we're not exactly forgetting about him.

I’ll point you in the right direction, “Philosophical beliefs”. Now if this whole BLM stuff is as you’ve indicated a voice in defiance of police brutality it wouldn’t be shifted towards one race. Systematic racism like my Polish ancestors experienced you say? Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcom X had quite a thing or two to say about ones own-self taking ownership of responsibility or a group with similar backgrounds for themselves.

What’s going on in the US is pernicious. I’m not sure what will change it or where were headed. But by trying to whitewash our history and taking our societal grievances into a court of law the blame rest on each of us, individually, who condone it in bad faith. Pro captu lectoris habent sua fata libelli

John Muir is kinda sus tbh lol. Enforcer of the “wilderness” narrative when the reality of indigenous people living on and with the land for millennia is a more wholistic nuanced approach