IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

46 minutes ago, Braintree said:

So you're white, right?

Yeah, and from that experience I realized that cops don’t really give a shit about anyone, white, black, purple. Anyone.

• Facepalm 1

Yeah, that's pretty nuts.  Also, my brother's friend wanted to be a cop for god knows what reason (praise Jeebus), and was rejected.  The reason they gave was that he was too well educated, subtext being they only want yes-men, not critical thinkers.

• Like 1

Another friend wasn't accepted into the security field, and my buddy who took the same course with him thinks its because he scored to highly on all the tests (like, actually got the highest scores of anyone in the class).  Anti-intellectualism seems to be a trend in authority-related fields.

• Like 1

@Zephyr_Nova That's been going on here for quite some time: https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

1 hour ago, Candiru said:

Yeah, and from that experience I realized that cops don’t really give a shit about anyone, white, black, purple. Anyone.

They don't, but they care about black people even less and it definitely shows.

30 minutes ago, Braintree said:

@Zephyr_Nova That's been going on here for quite some time: https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

They don't, but they care about black people even less and it definitely shows.

Even black cops will beat the shit out of a black person much harder than a white cop will because it’s the “I’m not one of YOU” mentality and they feel the need to demonstrate it. 

2 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Even black cops will beat the shit out of a black person much harder than a white cop will because it’s the “I’m not one of YOU” mentality and they feel the need to demonstrate it. 

police are primarily an institution of class based oppression.  race is just an excuse to do extra class based oppression and sew class divide

41 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

police are primarily an institution of class based oppression.  race is just an excuse to do extra class based oppression and sew class divide

True, and the war on drugs was just the excuse they needed. I think it's a bigger piece of the puzzle. 

The problem is, we still need police to do the essential police things. When you notice someone has broken into your house and they're probably still inside, who are you going to call? Ghostbusters?

• Like 1

The answer to police violence is not 'reform'. It's defunding. Here's why

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/31/the-answer-to-police-violence-is-not-reform-its-defunding-heres-why

And here's another one from NPR that's interesting.

How Much Do We Need The Police?

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/06/03/457251670/how-much-do-we-need-the-police

37 minutes ago, Candiru said:

True, and the war on drugs was just the excuse they needed. I think it's a bigger piece of the puzzle. 

The problem is, we still need police to do the essential police things. When you notice someone has broken into your house and they're probably still inside, who are you going to call? Ghostbusters?

this happened to me before I just waited outside.  I did call the police but they got there like an hour and a half later, took some pictures, then left and nothing good came of it.  i've been burglarized 3 times before and in all cases that's exactly what happened - fucking nothing.  police won't do shit

the solution to avoiding burglarization is to own less stuff imo to the point where you don't care if any of it's gone

I'm sure everyone will give up their guns, too. Then we'll all be fine. Society would transition seamlessly into this shiny happy utopia. I can't believe no one thought of this before. 

I mean, I've been to Christiania in Copenhagen about 100 times and it's an anarchist community and I loved it, but even that place has its own security and there aren't many guns in Denmark, though a cop did get shot there. 

Edited by Candiru

This has some good points (and some less impressive ones), well worth a read either way.

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Candiru said:

Right, but this does not invalidate the racism accusation. It's just another indication that black people in the US are at the very bottom of the pecking order, so low, in fact, that if black people can rise up even a little by oppressing other black people, they will do it.

I hear it's the same in Brazil.

9 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Yeah, that's pretty nuts.  Also, my brother's friend wanted to be a cop for god knows what reason (praise Jeebus), and was rejected.  The reason they gave was that he was too well educated, subtext being they only want yes-men, not critical thinkers.

I read about this policy (which, apparently, is widespread) recently:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Perhaps they have personnel data to back up that policy;  But, if above-average intelligence police have left service at higher than normal rates in the past, I'd bet in most cases it was for reasons other than "boredom", though.

I’m not optimistic with things being better in the states anytime soon! Maybe in 30-40 yrs from now. Maybe.
I mean, racism can be less visible easily and very soon but more problematic is the hidden one; you think that you managed to eradicated it, but actually ppl are just less open about it. We can’t really test the level of racism if we can can’t talk about it!

We need to be careful with hate and aggression... if we want to fight them successfully ppl must be able to talk freely about it, that’s the first step that mustn’t be overlooked! We need to be careful in fight against racism not to use use aggressive propaganda and quick labeling ppl as racists bc you can worsen it too!

Imo ppl need to speak freely about their own prejudices, to be able to freely say: “yes, i feel this or that, i feel some kind of hate or uneasiness, I don’t know why or i think bc of this or that” and then let’s see what can we do about it; only then it’s possible to change it. We like to say that freedom of speech is the baseline for everything (the part that i like about the US) and i totally agree! ... if we had it.

1 hour ago, Gocab said:

This has some good points (and some less impressive ones), well worth a read either way.

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759

someone linked this elsewhere, probably the HDTWVATD thread...finally got to read it yesterday afternoon. plenty of good points and ideas in there, but overall the tone reads funny to me. is there any confirmation that this person is who he says he is? first impression was that it's some high quality 4-channer type to get out some viral ACAB thing. not that being a cop and being one of those types are mutually exclusive of course.

I assume Medium have seen some proof / documentation before publishing it, but yeah.

1 hour ago, Gocab said:

I assume Medium have seen some proof / documentation before publishing it, but yeah.

anyone can start a Medium account tho. maybe there’s some sort of vetting/verification they do too? didn’t notice anything in the profile to suggest such.