IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

9 hours ago, Candiru said:

There actually aren’t many cops going around killing people in bad neighborhoods in America. It’s mostly non-cops killing eachother in much, much greater numbers. Which makes me wonder why we are focusing on this one little drop in the bucket, since the concern here is, as you say, black lives. 

Dude, the police have too much money. They have too much money because other services have been defunded. If we put that money back into education, affordable housing, and other social services, then we would be preventing crime. We would be preventing the reason we need police in the first place.

• Like 10

This isn't just about how black people are disproportionately killed by police. It's an intersectional subject because there are lots of pieces that affect other pieces.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rhmilo said:

No, not a truly bad one. Never got further than Bedford-Stuyvesant - in 2018, and the first signs of gentrification were already apparent (for one, we had an AirBnB there :lol:). Only bad thing about it was that people looked really, really poor and there were fuck-all places to eat. I also found it very surprising that each and every corner store was  owned by people of South Asian descent. Not a single black-owned business in sight, though everyone on the streets was black..

Lots and lots of police sirens at night, though. Though I suspect that's just because American cops like to show off.

But since you have been to a truly bad American neighborhood: what's that like? Gunfights on every street corner? Throngs of homeless people under every overpass? Or is that just in movies?

I've been to quite a few bad neighborhoods. You definitely get homeless encampments and you'll find a lot of little liquor bottles littered everywhere, plus used syringes. Prostitutes on some corners. Every one is kind of unique in a way though. Movies definitely ham it up to include a lot of the classic tropes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rhmilo said:

No, not a truly bad one. Never got further than Bedford-Stuyvesant - in 2018, and the first signs of gentrification were already apparent (for one, we had an AirBnB there :lol:). Only bad thing about it was that people looked really, really poor and there were fuck-all places to eat. I also found it very surprising that each and every corner store was  owned by people of South Asian descent. Not a single black-owned business in sight, though everyone on the streets was black..

Lots and lots of police sirens at night, though. Though I suspect that's just because American cops like to show off.

But since you have been to a truly bad American neighborhood: what's that like? Gunfights on every street corner? Throngs of homeless people under every overpass? Or is that just in movies?

Honestly, I feel a lot safer in so called "Bad Neighborhoods" I grew up in a few and nothing major popped off. Except for a gang altercation on one of the streets I lived in where someone was killed. Of course you hear sirens and see suspicious peeps and activity. I was once asked if I can go take some weed to someone and I said I didn't want to get involed and he was cool about it. But in a "Safe" neighboorhood I get hated and dogged on because I don't fly the american flag from my garage. In suburban mostly white neighborhoods I usually get the White Gaze! Shit. My son goes to a predominately white school. He got searched by a teacher when he asked to go to the restroom but she didn't search the white kids... You know... The ones that actually do have shit!

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I've been to quite a few bad neighborhoods. You definitely get homeless encampments and you'll find a lot of little liquor bottles littered everywhere, plus used syringes. Prostitutes on some corners. Every one is kind of unique in a way though. Movies definitely ham it up to include a lot of the classic tropes.

So like a third world slum with better housing? I’ve been to a few of those when I was young and stupid. Maybe on account of that I never felt things would’ve been better if they’d had heavily armed policemen there. Just let the people do their criminal shit and leave them alone.

15 minutes ago, QBLA said:

Honestly, I feel a lot safer in so called "Bad Neighborhoods" I grew up in a few and nothing major popped off. Except for a gang altercation on one of the streets I lived in where someone was killed. Of course you hear sirens and see suspicious peeps and activity. I was once asked if I can go take some weed to someone and I said I didn't want to get involed and he was cool about it. But in a "Safe" neighboorhood I get hated and dogged on because I don't fly the american flag from my garage. In suburban mostly white neighborhoods I usually get the White Gaze! Shit. My son goes to a predominately white school. He got searched by a teacher when he asked to go to the restroom but she didn't search the white kids... You know... The ones that actually do have shit!

One or two gang altercations doesn’t sound all that spectacular, to be honest. We get those in the city center and in “normal” neighborhoods as well.

And, again, I don’t think having heavily armed policemen running around would make that any better.

don't apply breaks to this movement. it is needed. if you are having trouble understanding what is happening, watch the entirety of this video. watch for the part where george floyd dies. watch the cops. this is not an aberation. look up the walter scott case. there are easily a dozen similar cases in the last 10 years. floyd's saying "i can't breath" just makes it all the more galling, after supposed progress following the murder of eric garner, who was needlessly strangled to death by evil fucks. that onlookers are stably filming the entirety of the event, with no obstruction, and officer chauvin knows it, yet continues, makes it even more galling. that the onlookers call out what it is occurring, even at what seems to be the moment of death, and officer chauvin continues, is enraging. floyd's hands were bound.  

cops (some, not all) have been behaving in a way that defies description for more than a century, now, in america... there is a culture that enables the perpetuation of this phenomenon, and african americans are all too aware of it. it's only with the introduction of ubiquitous cameras and social media that light is being shed on it. imagine being pulled over and having to worry that the cop is one of the demented ones, strung out and paranoid for some reason, and with an itchy trigger finger, or maybe, actually, demonically racist and/or hostile, and thinking that he can get away with whatever may happen. that's fucking insane, and it's wrong, and now we have a flashpoint that is poised to achieve needed change.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Fakn shit! This was really distressing! ...i almost burst into tears watching this shit!

That cop deserves to die in prison! ...at least that! At least that!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, very honest said:

there is a culture that enables the perpetuation of this phenomenon [some cops behaving in a certain manner],

This is the culture that needs to change. It's the inability of new recruits to speak against superior officers that is at the root of a lot of these issues.

In the George Floyd example, two of the cops were in their first week on the job. You're not going to speak out against a 17 year veteran. One actually tried twice and was brushed aside.

It's not just about racism either. In the arrest of that nurse in Utah last year you can see the junior cops kind of thinking "maybe we shouldn't be arresting her?" and then not really challenging the senior officer. Now obviously this woman didn't get murdered, but this gives a sense of the culture that exists within police in America.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Braintree said:

This isn't just about how black people are disproportionately killed by police. It's an intersectional subject because there are lots of pieces that affect other pieces.

There was a line from that guy those two articles you linked are about which was along the lines of "we keep expecting police to be social workers, but they're not, they're violence workers." Which is 100% true. Cops should be out there trying to arrest actual criminals, not doing domestic violence calls. I think I posted it elsewhere, but getting rid of the war on drugs (three strikes rules and mandatory minimums etc.) would be a huge help, as well as investing in education, as opposed to moving to charter schools (thanks Betsy DeRoss, you evil cunt), and a return to community policing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, beer badger said:

I've been reading up on this fella. He wasn't the archangel Gabriel was he? I don't know what a home invasion is but I'm guessing it's hardly a couple of gentlemen force their way into your home, brew you a pot of tea and force you to eat a big, big slice of Victoria sponge.

Yeah, he robbed a pregnant lady and pointed the gun at her baby bump to threaten her. 

It’s a big power trip for some of these shit heels, compounded by the job attracting a certain pathology that rage boners over causing distress, disrupting the lives of others.& control. How do you weed that commonality out of recruitment? Diversity training? Discord chat logs?

Police here can & will fill you in without any moral quandary or hesitation. They haven’t been shy historically providing targeted intelligence to Unionists in the north of Eire to aid in the assassinations of prominent civil rights activists & they have a sickening history with BAME communities. Google Mark Kennedy if you’re a paranoid hippy. Insidious to the max, but in my worst nightmare I wouldn’t expect to be asphyxiated by the full weight of one’ of these cunt’s knees crushing my neck on a city street. A proper shoeing in van, parked out of cctv view? Definitely. Shot for jogging? Wtf. Broken nose at the football? Occasionally. SWAT teams storming your home dressed & armed like paramilitaries? Sickeningly farcical. The whole asset seizure reallocation funding stream too. Beyond. 

The empty platitudes of fuckhead actors looking at p’45’s, while mouthing inane bollocks, makes me want ISIS to storm in & cull these excuses for good though. A post-celebrity world. Imagine that, but it’s as realistic as expecting equality of schooling. Never going to happen. Excuse the pessimism.

6 hours ago, rhmilo said:

So like a third world slum with better housing? I’ve been to a few of those when I was young and stupid. Maybe on account of that I never felt things would’ve been better if they’d had heavily armed policemen there. Just let the people do their criminal shit and leave them alone.

Yeah, kind of. Some neighborhoods just have scattered liquor bottles, some have that and syringes, some have literal human feces smeared on the sidewalk. I live in San Francisco, so it's the most extreme case of nearly anywhere in the states.

Like @QBLA was saying, I actually feel mostly safe in "bad neighborhoods" even if I'm the only white guy. They can tell I'm not a threat by the way I dress and carry myself. They might want me to buy weed or mushrooms or whatever though.

Edited by Braintree

On 6/10/2020 at 7:11 AM, Rubin Farr said:

But Live PD vows to return, after a suspect was killed during filming (for failing to dim his headlights??) the police tried to hide it apparently:

https://www.kmov.com/news/i-cant-breathe-texas-man-died-in-police-custody-as-live-pd-cameras-rolled/article_2fee6951-3ee1-5c4c-b529-0fa844d24515.html

Live PD canceled.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/live-pd-canceled-ae-protests-against-police-brutality-george-floyd-1202956175/

8 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Good.

Weird fetishization show.... Maybe some show on restorative justice or something can take its place. Probably not as that's not exactly titillating programing for your average viewer. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Good.

Weird fetishization show.... Maybe some show on restorative justice or something can take its place. Probably not as that's not exactly titillating programing for your average viewer. 

A lot of the cop shows (like Law & Order, NCIS, even Brooklyn 99) normalize police breaking the law. Should bin the lot of them really. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

A lot of the cop shows (like Law & Order, NCIS, even Brooklyn 99) normalize police breaking the law. Should bin the lot of them really. 

I think the lefty censorship is going to get really out of control. People are probably already thinking about canceling Pulp Fiction or something. I say fuck censorship, no matter what.