IGNORED

Black Lives Matter

Braintree

5 hours ago, dingformung said:

remember that just a generation ago there still was race segregation in this country

Yo, gramps, that's two generations by now.

Come over here and sit with the other member of the old people club.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Farnsworth 2

Met an old black bloke from DC who was doing ground work on an apartment building I was staying at in old town Alexandria, VA. Convivial, funny & we got chatting over strange British tea culture, the Irish Famine, The Troubles, best places to eat in the city, good bars around Union Station, race relations in the US & his patience with a particularly cunty ex. He straight up warned me about working with clients from old money, northern Virginian backgrounds & their overarching sense of entitlement. And he was spot on. Within a week I overheard “House of the Flying N*ggers” used over a dinner conversation about films & there were stacks of similar examples.

He outlined the social history of DC. The riots in the early 60’s, Black only curfews & what those curfews meant if you were working late & got caught out wrong place & time. How a large % of black Americans moved up to DC from the Carolinas & the south to gain employment etc. Contemporary HIV rate discrepancies between races. That’s when the real value behind Chappelle’s skit on VA Old Dominion suburbs looking out out at expanding DC gentrification, with the line “not yet!”, dropped on this redcoat.

Woke capitalism, for want of a better expression, won’t change any of this.

More light needs to be shed on the 1921 Tulsa bombings, and I hope in my lifetime that the event finds its way into American history textbooks. Same with this one:

Look folks! Look at all these protests all over the world and for all these issues, I always say to myself one day I'd love to get all dressed up and go on one march or protest at least once in my life. But you know I just always seem to be working hard or busy running essential chores (you can lump listening to music in with that hah!) I would imagine if you are the type who goes on protests and marches you must have your work cut out at the moment. 

Yes you are correct that observation is served with a very huge dose of cynicism/sarcasm.....

Edited by beer badger

As long as it is accepted to torture animals to death for a better taste of food this sort of relationship to other beings will be applied to humans as well, be it in the form of racism or in other forms. As long as it is okay to devalue and massacre one kind of being it is not far away to put other beings into that same category and do it to them as well. If you can castrate a pig without anaesthesia it is not far away to go to another human and say: "You are a pig.", and do it to them, too.  Because of the economical damage of Covid-19 thousands of pigs had to get rid of because their meat couldn't be sold anymore and keeping would have been expensive for the meat industry, so they were put into a room and steamed to death with 140°C/60°F hot water vapour for 20 minutes, the pigs that didn't die during these 20 minutes and were still twisting on the ground then had to be shot one by one. If you can euthanise one kind of creature it is not far away to do it to another kind of creature as well. As long as this is normal and not seen as a big problem, racism and genocide will at least be a possibility that's in reach.

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

I have to say genocide sounds far more interesting than racism or having a bacon sandwich.

Yes! Genocide is the one I would pick!! Let's fucking have it!!!

This is what I would choose.

Edited by beer badger
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

19 hours ago, timbre monke said:

More light needs to be shed on the 1921 Tulsa bombings, and I hope in my lifetime that the event finds its way into American history textbooks. Same with this one:

Kids in 2040 will have video textbooks produced by Netflix 

1 minute ago, sheatheman said:

Kids in 2040 will have video textbooks produced by Netflix 

Corporate sponsorship in schools and of school textbooks in America has been a real thing for a long time. Jello Biafra goes into it on High Priest of Harmful Matter I think. 

• Like 2

https://revolutionaryleftradio.libsyn.com/paying-tribute-to-voices-of-black-liberation

Jun 10, 2020

Time Stamps for Every Clip in this Episode:

Kimberly Jones: 0:00

"The Breonna Taylor Song" by AJJ: 1:18

Angela Davis on Violence: 2:53

Breht read MLK Jr.'s "Letter from a Birmingham Jail": 5:19

Dr. Cornel West - "Black Prophetic Fire":  43:00

Fannie Lou Hamer: 44:52

Nina Simone: 47:04

James Baldwin: 49:47

Breht reads "The Condition of Black Life is one of Mourning" by Claudia Rankine: 53:30

Malcolm X: 1:14:18

Assata Shakur (Democracy Now!): 1:16:37

Tupac Shakur: 1:24:20

Breht reads "On Violence" by Frantz Fanon from "The Wretched of the Earth": 1:28:20

Edited by cyanobacteria

On 6/13/2020 at 2:58 AM, chenGOD said:

But that's inaccurate.

The FBI UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting) Program collects data from all city, university/college, county, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement agencies to present a nationwide view of crime. In that program, violent crime comprises four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

In 2016, the percentage of violent crime arrests (total)1 was as follows: white - 59%, black 37.5% (source)

In 2017, the percentage of violent crime arrests (total) was as follows: white - 58.5%, black 38.5% (source)

In 2018, the percentage of violent crime arrests (total) was as follows: white - 58.7%, black 37.4% (source)

(remainders in all years are comprised of Native Americans, Asian, and Native Pacific Islanders).

1: When you break it down for arrests by age, for people 18 and over, the percentage for white people goes up by ~1.5% while the percentage for black people goes down by ~1%.

Now the UCR has its issues, as does any data collection program on such a massive scale. What you can say is that black people are arrested for violent crime at a higher proportionate rate than their population. Unfortunately, the UCR doesn't break down clearances by race and ethnicity, so we can't see easily the percentages of each group that are either cleared by arrest, or cleared by exceptional measures (usually can't complete the charge because the suspected offender is dead, or the victim refuses to cooperate with prosecution). I'm too tired to go into detailed research on prosecutions, but you can see from reading through this site (https://www.prisonpolicy.org/research/race_and_ethnicity/) that black people are disproportionately incarcerated in the US criminal justice system.

We also know that black people are killed at a disproportionate rate by police: https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

Now, none of this data shows that the police who did those killings are racist. What it does show is that white people commit more of the violent crime (as you would expect) but are shot/killed at disproportionately lower rate than black people. Further, they are incarcerated at a disproportionately lower rate. So there are systemic issues clearly demonstrated.

I've gone over what police and judicial reform could look like (and others on here have as well, better than my efforts), and some of them are easy fixes (instituting use of force policies, ensuring that officers receive training for them, stop making police into social workers etc.) while others are pie in the sky dreams (reduce the gun fetishization in the US). Defund the police doesn't mean "get rid of the police departments", it means don't spend so much on them, and reallocate those resources to places where they could do much more to reduce crime (education for example).

It clearly is accurate when you don’t conveniently forget that they are 13% of the population. 

If 13% of the country’s population commits three times their share of violent crime, they will most likely draw a similar level of attention from police. 

Even if the police don’t show up, they’re still killing eachother at alarming rates. Black lives only matter under certain circumstances, it seems. 

37 minutes ago, Candiru said:

It clearly is accurate when you don’t conveniently forget that they are 13% of the population. 

If 13% of the country’s population commits three times their share of violent crime, they will most likely draw a similar level of attention from police. 

Even if the police don’t show up, they’re still killing eachother at alarming rates. Black lives only matter under certain circumstances, it seems. 

Yo dude what you said is white people commit less violent crime. You didn’t mention anything about proportions. It’s fine to talk about in those terms, but then it’s also fair to mention the proportionate response (or disproportionate in this case). 
Your very own links show black people being killed at a disproportionate rate by police. 

And the whole “black people are killing each other at alarming rates” is such a straw man. How about looking at the underlying structural issues that turn black neighborhoods into ghettos, or that put black people into societal situations where addiction and crime are sometimes all that’s left. I’m not saying African-Americans don’t have any agency, but they face an uphill battle much steeper than you or I.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1