• Hollandaise
    • Béarnaise
    • Peppercorn
    • Diane
    • Other* (please explain)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a massive fan of sauces (surprised me when Anthony Bourdain said the same thing on Parts Unknown).

Hot English mustard is the only thing I have on my steak. I never need to change.

Haven't eaten steak in way over a decade, but I liked A1, as basic as it is. It just has such a weird taste. It's like how you keep having to sniff something that is oddly terrible and fascinating.

My best mate at work starts salivating when you mention steak and peppercorn sauce. I don't think I've had it.

When I eat out I rarely (no pun intended) eat steak as it's pretty simple to cook at home. And when I'm at home there's that jar of Colemans Hot English Mustard!

Isn't horseradish popular? Or is that just on roast beef? (again I tried it once and just went back to HEM) (it looked like man spunk)

Either keeping it simple and basting with butter and thyme and garlic to finish it, or sliced with a nice spicy nam prik or nam tok style dressing.  Or horseradish.  Or ketchup even.  Or any of the above.  As long as it's a decent cut cooked well.  Ribeye for me.

8 minutes ago, chim said:

A great steak just needs a stick of garlic butter. Horseradish sauce or Bearnaise can do some work though. 

Yeah, this. Some good butter (grass or corn fed, don't care) and some garlic (fresh minced or fried, either way). That'll fuckin' do.

If it's a really good steak, it probably doesn't even need that. Maybe just some salt.

For a mediocre steak, Worcestershire works. I don't hate A-1 but the consistency is kinda funky. Horseradish can be good. I could drink Hollandaise so I won't say no to that. Never heard of the English mustard thing but that sounds great - I'll try that next time.

I'm a firm believer in simple great ingredients. Steak, salt, pepper, garlic.

When people drown things in sauces, hmmmm, strays away from the main event. I'm sure if I went to France I would be served a steak sauce that would blow me away though ?

When I make a sauce I usually improvise and do something like this:

- put cane sugar into dry pan
- wait until it starts caramelising
- deglaze with vinegar
- add broth or wine & spices
- perhaps add a spoon of smetana or creme fraiche or cream
- reduce until it has the required consistency

and yes, I like adding peppercorns, lots of them.

And who the fuck eats sauce Hollandaise to steak? I love this kinda sauce but seems weird to put it on steak. But now that I give it a second thought it might be a brilliant idea actually.

7 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

The butter in which it was browned.

I wouldn't brown it in the butter as butter burns pretty quickly. I'd use either oil that can stand high heats like rape or coconut or sunflower oil or no oil at all because the steak might render out enough fat by itself and add the butter at the end of the process, deglaze the pan with it etc.

This is my latest steak, sauce is just meat juices that came out of the steak plus some butter, the veggies had their own sauce:

647761730_WhatsAppImage2020-05-14at22_12_18.thumb.jpeg.e416e9bd5b8bc6440dc80cccf641cf71.jpeg

34 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

If it's a really good steak, it probably doesn't even need that. Maybe just some salt. 

Are we taking about fried or grilled?

Fried - I usually season it with garlic, salt and laurel and then fry it on oil, butter or olive oil. When ready i just season it with what's left in the frying pan... 

Grilled, if so, Rare! 

Sauce? Mmmm, something with garlic or black peper... 

peppercorn sauce, or chimichurri.

my peppercorn sauce recipe: after frying the steak, add a knob of butter and some finely chopped shallot and a finely chopped and mashed small clove of garlic, fry for a minute, deglaze with some brandy (light on fire for added danger),  add 1 tsp dijon mustard, fry for a minute, add 75ml single cream and a large amount of crushed peppercorns (e.g. 2 tbsp, or more, go nuts). add any juices that came from steak, add some beef stock if you have it.

chimichuri: 1 very large handful of flat-leaf parsley, 1 large garlic clove, 2 tbsp oregano, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil. salt+pepper. blitz. sometimes I might add 1 tsp of chilli flakes, or smoked paprika.

but of if it's a giant tasty rib-eye, cooked well, it doesn't really need it, you can also dip your chips in them though.

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

When I make a sauce I usually improvise and do something like this:

- put cane sugar into dry pan
- wait until it starts caramelising
- deglaze with vinegar
- add broth or wine & spices
- perhaps add a spoon of smetana or creme fraiche or cream
- reduce until it has the required consistency

and yes, I like adding peppercorns, lots of them.

And who the fuck eats sauce Hollandaise to steak? I love this kinda sauce but seems weird to put it on steak. But now that I give it a second thought it might be a brilliant idea actually.

I wouldn't brown it in the butter as butter burns pretty quickly. I'd use either oil that can stand high heats like rape or coconut or sunflower oil or no oil at all because the steak might render out enough fat by itself and add the butter at the end of the process, deglaze the pan with it etc.

This is my latest steak, sauce is just meat juices that came out of the steak plus some butter, the veggies had their own sauce:

647761730_WhatsAppImage2020-05-14at22_12_18.thumb.jpeg.e416e9bd5b8bc6440dc80cccf641cf71.jpeg

You cook up a fine looking steak!

Chimichurri is a fine choice, btw. As for the mustard bit, some have posted it, sounds ace. Gotta try it soon but where to buy said mustard...

Archived