• Béarnaise
    • Peppercorn
    • Diane
    • Other* (please explain)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, what a thread.

well, i prefer it raw, no sauce. jsut a very little bit of salt.

or if with some, then it's good to have plenty, so you just switch from one to another for each bite,

so they just highlight one each other - like, well compiled tracks on a good album ?

by the way, there ar sooo many sauces to be listed --- i guess this will morph into "the sauces thread"

---or maybe switch to a cook chief forum hahaha

3 minutes ago, BCM said:

anyone actually had steak tartare? I've never had the pleasure, but would definitely try it.

Yes, it's easy to make and delicious. Make sure you put oil on it before you season it, otherwise it might turn grey.

3 hours ago, beer badger said:

Hot English mustard is the only thing I have on my steak. I never need to change.

3 hours ago, beer badger said:

When I eat out I rarely (no pun intended) eat steak as it's pretty simple to cook at home. And when I'm at home there's that jar of Colemans Hot English Mustard!

Isn't horseradish popular? Or is that just on roast beef? (again I tried it once and just went back to HEM) (it looked like man spunk)

You guys are on it...my favorite steak sauce is a 1:1 mixture of Colman's mustard and horseradish. I discovered Colman's at a restaurant in London about 7 years ago, never been without it since. Great with pork loins/chops and sausage too. But the mixture with horseradish for steak...damn I'm really craving that now. Haven't had a steak in some time. 

spacer.png + spacer.png

14 minutes ago, BCM said:

anyone actually had steak tartare? I've never had the pleasure, but would definitely try it.

Yes. I was born in Belgium and it remains one of my favorite meals. I think I had it 3 times when I visited for a week this past January. Also I get it in the US any chance I get.

52 minutes ago, BCM said:

when you say raw, do you mean RAW? like steak tartare?

oh no, just cooked but with no sauce ?

actually since this post i was reading the (interesting) "black lives matters" thread and was about to post on it, but it was a headlock, half an hour to finally post nothing,

coz so much things involved,  

so coming back here because of the "you've been quoted" alert make me think : it's more easy to talk about steak sauce

(......facepalms accepted ?

56 minutes ago, BCM said:

I had it at this little place in Seattle along with some top notch oysters. All-around great raw meal. I would love to have it again.

Yeah, garlic/herb butter will do me just fine. However, I have to confess I didn't totally hate that Jack Daniel's Hot Chili Barbecue Sauce. It will smother much of the original steak taste though.

If we'd be talking pig, I ike something sweetish and nice and spicy like hot mango sauce, but I guess this is strictly about beef.

I've never had any pure mustard with steak and find the thought quite bizarre, but add a little honey, and I'm game.

10 hours ago, dingformung said:

I wouldn't brown it in the butter as butter burns pretty quickly. I'd use either oil that can stand high heats like rape or coconut or sunflower oil or no oil at all because the steak might render out enough fat by itself and add the butter at the end of the process, deglaze the pan with it etc.

True, which is why I use the technique "brown it quickly and then finish it in the oven".

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

True, which is why I use the technique "brown it quickly and then finish it in the oven".

This is how I get the best results as well. Just brown it for a minute or two on each side, then wrap it in tinfoil (if you're a covid denier or an anti-vaxxer, you can just use an old hat; if you're an environmemtalist, you can alternatively put it in casserole; if you're a vegetarian, you're just fucked) so as not to lose all the lovely juice and grill it in the oven. It gets so tender this way. Oh so tender.

Edit: Shit, now I'm trying to work, and all I can think of is steak. My mouth is literally watering at the thought, lmao. Guess I'm not having no salad for lunch today.

37 minutes ago, IDEM said:

This is how I get the best results as well. Just brown it for a minute or two on each side, then wrap it in tinfoil (if you're a covid denier or an anti-vaxxer, you can just use an old hat; if you're an environmemtalist, you can alternatively put it in casserole; if you're a vegetarian, you're just fucked) so as not to lose all the lovely juice and grill it in the oven. It gets so tender this way. Oh so tender.

Edit: Shit, now I'm trying to work, and all I can think of is steak. My mouth is literally watering at the thought, lmao. Guess I'm not having no salad for lunch today.

With the caveat that the steak needs to be fairly thick for this to be useful. If it's a thin one-person type steak, just browning it for a minute and a half-ish on each side is enough to cook it through and not long enough for butter to burn.

And now I also have a steak hard-on.

1 hour ago, IDEM said:

4 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Another method is, as counter intuitive as it might sound, to put it into the oven first when it's still raw at around 60 - 70°C along with a baking plate full of water, alternatively put it into a food steamer (e.g. the respective rice cooker compartment) and cook it that way. It will be cooked but still pink. Then you sauté it for about 30 seconds on each side in a very hot pan. It will be perfectly rare-medium all the way through and dark brown on the sides and it will not change its original shape. Good if you have thick slices

5 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Another method is, as counter intuitive as it might sound, to put it into the oven first when it's still raw at around 60 - 70°C along with a baking plate full of water, alternatively put it into a food steamer (e.g. the respective rice cooker compartment) and cook it that way. It will be cooked but still pink. Then you sauté it for about 30 seconds on each side in a very hot pan. It will be perfectly rare-medium all the way through and dark brown on the sides and it will not change its original shape. Good if you have thick slices

True. It’s the exact same principle. However, for some reason this never works for me. Brown first and then finish yields good stake, other way around and it’s overcooked. Guess I’m just clumsy that way.

I find the reverse sear method works better than finishing it in the oven (you get a much more consistent colour to the meat, less grey banding around the edges), obviously it only works for a properly thick steak, all you need to do is make sure you don't over-cook it in the oven step, use a probe thermometer and a low oven (<= 140c), and take it out when it hits 40-45c (depending on how rare you like it). You can then butter baste it with garlic/shallot and thyme too if you like, I don't find that the butter burns (you're supposed to be basting it constantly, not letting it sit in the pan). Another tip, if using a cast iron pan, is to pre-heat that in the oven along with the steak, before putting it on the highest heat burner until it's smoking - cast iron tends to have hot spots, so pre-heating will create a more even heat across the surface, leading to faster browning (you want to brown it as fast as possible). Copper pans are apparently the best to use, but never had one.

Since the lockdown my local butcher has been shut, and the selection from the supermarket has been poor, been a while since I got a proper rib-eye :cattears:

Another one is to season it, and then leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight, which will dry-out the surface making it brown even better.

I rarely remember to do that one, but it does make a difference.

what about a good chop sauce? awesome with all meats. i believe originated in chop houses in victorian times.

are you an HP or Daddies man? or something else?a0a80e1553ce54e56f3daedca433ca30.jpgccd4785a4e253dac988dd22096c5c7f0.jpg655b7d32e2cab673fe0d25a255e7c047.jpg

Archived