Sign in to follow this  
Draft78

autechre : Sound Collector #2, 1998

a guy posted this on a fb

1751757946_SoundCollector2199800.thumb.jpg.8385ab49f4dbcb5f76ddd56f9dae61d8.jpg1642198021_SoundCollector2199801.thumb.jpg.191a7b2ba672161a0a1f7e5971d69e22.jpg

288353651_SoundCollector2199802.thumb.jpg.1b56423008dc419f0429a042542b03f2.jpg144896598_SoundCollector2199803.thumb.jpg.c7d28924b85febd6094d3a1252feaefc.jpg735131715_SoundCollector2199804.thumb.jpg.3e497056867d04648a53159bcdfc38f2.jpg392250582_SoundCollector2199805.thumb.jpg.f5b45e5d2fe695858e6c8703a6272f50.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Farnsworth 1

“The new stuff is going to sound weird compared to everything else”

lel could works today aswell 

thanks for the find draft78

• Like 2

some tracks can now take up to 3 days to do.

Interesting find!

Chiastic Slide sounding like blocks of stone compared to LP5 sounding more liquid is a perfect description of those two records.  Really cool article.

• Like 1

Anytime someone mentions how they made loops with gear that isn't digital it makes no sense to me. 

Re: making break beats - "we'd loop them using the pause button."  

What?

pause button mixing is something notorious from the 80s.

It can be done with tape because of the nuanced part of tape being time is controlled integrally with its own time, and your going to either record strait from a record or another tape.

As far as i know this can't be done on DAT as easy because of the timecode limitations. same as a DAW... correct if im wrong as i dont see how i'm actually making sense.   

• Like 1

Pause button editing is excellent fun. I recommend it. I have a 4-track somewhere I bought just for that purpose.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:32 PM, Sam Schofield said:

It can be done with tape because of the nuanced part of tape being time is controlled integrally with its own time, and your going to either record strait from a record or another tape.   

This looks like gibberish to me.

conceptually I have no idea what you are talking about, but more specifically have no idea how “time is controlled...by its own time”

• Haha 1

Aw yes I'm a fiend for this.

Cheers Ae35.

17 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

conceptually I have no idea what you are talking about, but more specifically have no idea how “time is controlled...by its own time”

time literally is the length of the tape rather than being timecode to determine points in the tape like in DAT. there, so time is. no conceptually about it 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, fizzkinz said:

someone can give you a DAT and say "this is 60 minutes long", you can say "no its 120 minutes", i will record it on long play: you can't do that with analog magnetic tape. Its either 60 minutes long or 60 minutes long or re-write, meaning pause button editing makes a lot more sense 

Edited by Sam Schofield

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, nikisoko said:

some tracks can now take up to 3 days to do.

I found that quite interesting! I find it hard to believe every track on the albums before LP5 were each done in 1 day. 🤨

Edited by Lianne

On 6/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Anytime someone mentions how they made loops with gear that isn't digital it makes no sense to me. 

Re: making break beats - "we'd loop them using the pause button."  

What?

Record to tape A using tape B containing a breakbeat. Pause tape A at the end of the break, rewind tape B, record again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I have a hard time imagining the breakbeat starting at precisely the same point each time, stopping exactly where it needs to, etc.  Does it just sound really gimpy?  Would love to see a vid of the process.

14 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I guess I have a hard time imagining the breakbeat starting at precisely the same point each time, stopping exactly where it needs to, etc.  Does it just sound really gimpy?  Would love to see a vid of the process.

It definitely takes practice to get a feel for it. There's a bit of "pinch" or latency from hitting the pause button and it's easy to munge the transients and/or get these high-pitched "zips" at the splices. It kind of adds to the flavor though. I've done it a few times where it was almost spot on, though, and it sounds pretty damn cool.

• Like 2

Interesting!  Sort of makes me want to try it out myself sometime.  I've been too spoiled with the perfection of computers.

• Like 1

spacer.png

• Burger 2

Nice find thanks.

My old four track had an immense pause button that you could stop the track really solid and the motor had plenty of torque that got it up to speed really quickly. Allowed for this type of thing quite easily when you got used to it. I think the motor in 4 tracks was a big part of the cost - a more expensive units usually had better motors.

• Like 2

“Max suggests tangents!”

- Sean Booth (WATMM 2013)

• Like 1