IGNORED

Khruangbin - Mordechai

zero

I know there's a thread already discussing them, but figured since this is out soon I'd get the discussion shifted over here regarding their new one.

https://khruangbin.bandcamp.com/album/mordechai

spacer.png

they also released a new track today "Pelota" that features Laura Lee showcasing her español skills. 

13 minutes ago, azatoth said:

So they are going to sing on this album? I'd much more prefer it as instrumental.

apparently so. they mentioned adding more vocals in a recent interview. wasn't sure if that meant every track or not, but so far each track they've previewed has had singing.

and I agree about preferring it instrumental. or instrumental with the vocal textures / barely there lyrics they added on their previous albums. they released an EP earlier this year with another singer that I couldn't get into it at all, largely because of the pop RnB style singing.

8 hours ago, azatoth said:

So they are going to sing on this album? I'd much more prefer it as instrumental.

a) Were my thoughts exactly.
b) If they are business people and give the people what they want (e.g. quite a few on Khru Reddit ask for it) they release it as an instrumental album as well.

c) Pelota.

I did not know that I need kinda latin music. I did not know that I need Khru singing. I did not know I need spanish lyrics (don't speak spanish)
What I know is: SONG IS ON REPEAT SINCE YESTERDAY. WHAT A FEELGOOD SONG. THE HYPES HAVE ARRIVED

So we won't forget is also very good.

Time (You and I) is a / for me.

I kinda see the singing more as an additional instrument. I also listen to IC3PEAK (has russian singing) and same as with the spanish singing here, I don't understand it. But it's fun to me to sing along self made language like a child or just lalala ? Haha, Khru have some fanbase here, not unexpectedly, our ranges seem to be wiiiiiiide.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's out for 2 days now, vocals were not added as much as expected. Good. Haven't listened properly to all tracks, I'm stuck at Shida, the last track, which I like very much.
I think there's lots of sounds from prior albums, some tracks could have been created in Con todo el Mundo jamming sessions. No proper bangers like Maria Tambien, no real standout like August 12, well I'll see, time will tell.

1st impression is that this is a bit underwhelming. the tracks without vocals seem a little...boring. where did the strong african/thai funk influenced guitar lines go? the instrumental tracks seem very loose, very jammy/dubby. the tracks with vocals are very catchy though. "Pelota" reminds me a little of some ricky martin type latin pop song from the early 2000's, but much better.

I did listen to it a few times over the past weekend and do want to keep listening to this again. I'm guessing it will be a grower, which is different from the others that were so immediately satisfying. 

^ I don't know too much about this guy. does he only listen to an album once before reviewing? as I mentioned before, I think this album is not immediately satisfying and had sort of the same thoughts (maybe not as harsh though) after hearing it the first time. but, I have been coming back to it. IMO it's definitely the weakest of the 3 albums they've done, but in no way a bad album. 

Yeah 3/10 is insanely harsh, 5/10 I can understand but I would give this more of a 6-7 range objectively.

One of the biggest surprises was how much the vocals / singing didn't stand out as a major change. They were already doing a little bit on past albums and they served as another "instrument" so to speak, so much so it'd be a moot point to hear the songs without them. Very different compared to the dynamic they had with Leon Bridges on the Texas Sun EP.

This album took a far more background listening / cohesive vibe to it than past ones. Some standout songs (the singles mostly) but otherwise most of these were very much groove and jammy workouts with less overt riffs and hooks as they had in the past. It's progress for them and not a misstep or anything but I was a little underwhelmed. 

15 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

One of the biggest surprises was how much the vocals / singing didn't stand out as a major change.

Positive surprise for me. Vocals created some discussion before - but it was unnecessary. If they didn't mention it, nobody would really discuss the slight increase of vocals.
A bit underwhelming album for me as well, also feel like 6-7/10.

Archived