IGNORED

Methyl Orange LP - 2x12"

Joyrex

3 hours ago, phudoshin said:

What set is this from? - always loved it and glad it was looped to 4 mins... imagine the full studio track! Squarepusher perfection making the drums goes fast

It's from Aphex Twin's set (Temple Bar, Dublin 2001)

This came to me totally out of nowhere (someone emailed me via the Contact Us link for the forum), and while I would love to do this, here (as I see them) are the stark reality bits we need to address:

• Tom is notoriously private/aloof (from what I have observed) when it comes to fans/interacting with them - I'm sure WATMM is not a place he visits (or ever has) and has zero to little interest in associating with (not a slight on us personally; I think he like Richard and the rest of these artists (Autechre being the exception) prefer to keep a distance between their art and the people who obsess over it.
  • Tom would ultimately have to sign off on this (and possibly Richard) if anything contractual exists since this was supposed to come out on MEN Records.
  • Highly unlikely as it is, Tom may have plans for this we're not aware of (digital release via Bleepstore, physical release, etc.)
  • Tom himself may not want these tracks released, for reasons that are his own - and as an artist, we must respect his wishes. That's not to say he wouldn't change his mind, if the circumstances were agreeable to him.
  • I'm not sure there would be a charity aspect to this project (unless that was a condition Tom wanted); may make this appear to be a cash grab.
  • Depending on factors we are not aware of (which kind of goes back to the second bulleted item), Tom may not be able to release these tracks in this manner, even if he wanted to.

Besides all this, getting into contact with Tom would be the first major challenge - I could ask my contact at WARP if they'd pass along the proposal, or put something on Twitter to see if there is any reaction from whomever runs the @Squarepusher account. He may just ignore all of this, and this goes no further than the years of pleas to release the Rome track, etc.

I welcome any feedback and ideas about how to accomplish or overcome some of the issues listed above, and any other factors that you may think important to consider.

• Like 1

I think suggesting a charity aspect to it, to your warp contact, would be more likely to get this released vs just doing a regular fundraiser. surely there is a cause TJ is fond of. 

I don’t think approaching this from a strictly cash perspective would be effective I guess is what I’m saying. With all the chaos of 2020 it would be great if we could raise funds for a good cause TJ is partial to, and get the album in return. I dunno

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

This came to me totally out of nowhere (someone emailed me via the Contact Us link for the forum), and while I would love to do this, here (as I see them) are the stark reality bits we need to address:

• Tom is notoriously private/aloof (from what I have observed) when it comes to fans/interacting with them - I'm sure WATMM is not a place he visits (or ever has) and has zero to little interest in associating with (not a slight on us personally; I think he like Richard and the rest of these artists (Autechre being the exception) prefer to keep a distance between their art and the people who obsess over it.
  • Tom would ultimately have to sign off on this (and possibly Richard) if anything contractual exists since this was supposed to come out on MEN Records.
  • Highly unlikely as it is, Tom may have plans for this we're not aware of (digital release via Bleepstore, physical release, etc.)
  • Tom himself may not want these tracks released, for reasons that are his own - and as an artist, we must respect his wishes. That's not to say he wouldn't change his mind, if the circumstances were agreeable to him.
  • I'm not sure there would be a charity aspect to this project (unless that was a condition Tom wanted); may make this appear to be a cash grab.
  • Depending on factors we are not aware of (which kind of goes back to the second bulleted item), Tom may not be able to release these tracks in this manner, even if he wanted to.

Besides all this, getting into contact with Tom would be the first major challenge - I could ask my contact at WARP if they'd pass along the proposal, or put something on Twitter to see if there is any reaction from whomever runs the @Squarepusher account. He may just ignore all of this, and this goes no further than the years of pleas to release the Rome track, etc.

I welcome any feedback and ideas about how to accomplish or overcome some of the issues listed above, and any other factors that you may think important to consider.

It's better to try to do something about this than to assume that nothing will happen in my opinion. Ask your contact at Warp, let's see where this goes!

Ooof. I honestly thought this project was based on a little more solid ground than it seems it actually is....like there had been some slight nod from TJ or whoever to fire it away in order to Joyrex to start the thread and ask about our (indisputable) zest for this. But now seeing that there actually is very little to actually grasp on, I really don't think this will happen. Of course won't hurt to ask, but won't be holding my breath. Sorry guys for pissing on the parade....my hype just suddenly dried and now this feels as hypothetical as a possible release of, say, CAT002. Please prove me wrong though!

if this was to be released on rephlex, (via MEN) then the music is 100% toms. Grant has confirmed that when rephlex closed all the music rights went back to the musicians. Hence why aleksi and Ed and boggy and others are selling their rephlex years on bandcamp. Not sure you legally need Richards blessing

19 hours ago, Uros said:

Ooof. I honestly thought this project was based on a little more solid ground than it seems it actually is....like there had been some slight nod from TJ or whoever to fire it away in order to Joyrex to start the thread and ask about our (indisputable) zest for this. But now seeing that there actually is very little to actually grasp on, I really don't think this will happen

The original post features the quote, "I would like to know a bit more, and the possibility of a Kickstarter is highly unlikely, but I'd like to know more."

You've somehow become disappointed at your own made-up facts, then proceeded to adopt a pessimistic attitude towards the whole concept. That's quite the impressive mental odyssey, I must say. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My optimism stems from the fact that Tom (in interviews) comes across as an affable, nice chap. He may have zero to do with watmm or high fiving his fans on twitter but I doubt he's gonna go all Gollum about these tracks. But by the same token these IDM artists are strange folk, they seem to like to have a cache of mythical tunes that they like to keep stashed out of the hands of their fans lol. So only time will tell.

Edited by beerwolf

4 minutes ago, rev85 said:

The original post features the quote, "I would like to know a bit more, and the possibility of a Kickstarter is highly unlikely, but I'd like to know more."

You've somehow become disappointed at your own made-up facts, then proceeded to adopt a pessimistic attitude towards the whole concept. That's quite the impressive mental odyssey, I must say. 

Fair enough, had missed that disclaimer part in my enthusiasm. And wouldn't describe my approach as pessimistic, but highly realistic, especially after the other pm Joyrex got. Dunno about you, but it did everything else than raise my hopes any higher. How I saw this was that because these were given to people found on "who's who" of Rephlex roster (like pointed out on the original Joyrex post), it got me (wrongly) assuming there was some connection to TJ etc. We all know boss has plenty of contacts in high places, and since he couldn't of course say a word, well, it makes some fertile ground for assumptions. So my bad yep. Not so much disappointed though, this isn't the first time when these special projects don't come to fruition. Happy to impress though.

1 hour ago, Uros said:

Fair enough, had missed that disclaimer part in my enthusiasm. And wouldn't describe my approach as pessimistic, but highly realistic, especially after the other pm Joyrex got. Dunno about you, but it did everything else than raise my hopes any higher. How I saw this was that because these were given to people found on "who's who" of Rephlex roster (like pointed out on the original Joyrex post), it got me (wrongly) assuming there was some connection to TJ etc. We all know boss has plenty of contacts in high places, and since he couldn't of course say a word, well, it makes some fertile ground for assumptions. So my bad yep. Not so much disappointed though, this isn't the first time when these special projects don't come to fruition. Happy to impress though.

You’re probably right mate. I would describe my approach as ‘idiot optimist’ ?

Sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I am more "in the know" on this than what I stated - I never had heard of this proposed release until recently, and there is very little online to go on.

I'll reach out to my WARP contact and see what they say.

• Like 6

He's repeatedly said in interviews that he's not interested in revisiting old stuff, so I doubt very much this will go anywhere.

Which is a shame, as they are great tracks.

Edited by caze

Worth a punt isn't it, shy bairns get nowt.

Having aired some of these tunes quite a few times it is inevitable that fans will ask for them. Tom, Grant & Rich all know that they're sought after. Fans have even gone to the effort to remake a couple of the tunes.

Knowing that there was a release planned with some of these tunes is kind of mad. I guess that was implied, I have been there when Grant's played this at Corsica, I just hadn't really considered it properly, thought of it as some sort of test press of 1 or 2 tracks that was doomed for some inexplicable reason.

Edited by elcid4
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I am more "in the know" on this than what I stated - I never had heard of this proposed release until recently, and there is very little online to go on.

I'll reach out to my WARP contact and see what they say.

Nah, it's just me and my beady eyes. The beginning of your OP seemed to me like "hype hype", so I overlooked the fine print at the end. Maybe if you had high lighted the last part like rev85 did, I had possibly caught it too. Plus there's a totally different emphasis on you starting a thread where asking our interest for a possible kickstarter etc. for some old half mythical release, than if I started the same thread :wink: As pessimist as you guys see me as, in reality I'm so hyped for the possibility for this even though can't really see it happening. Those tracks are dank af.

• Like 1

Cylob played a few of the tracks on a radio show in 2003 

starting at 26:20

the second track after the time stamp is the first part of the rome track 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.percussionlab.com/audio/mp3s/2066/01_Live_on_Kando_FM__Budapest__Hungary_.mp3

• Thanks 1