IGNORED

Soloman Tump - Grim's Ditch EP

Soloman Tump

My debut (solo) EP, 4 tracks on a 3" mini CD // digital download.  Released on the next bandcamp day (3rd July)

Awesome artwork from https://dansmonsters.com/ check him out on instagram too....

The fold-out sleeve contains my research of the local folklore legend of the "Grim's Ditch"; an unnatural valley that is carved into the hillsides of Oxfordshire (and beyond).  Some say it is the work of The Devil and his wretched Imp slave!

A real blend of sounds with drone / noise / repetition / darkness.... inspired by being driven slightly mad during isolation lockdown.  Hopefully the sounds presented herein represent this.

All recorded "live" with hardware then some basic mastering by me (which I struggled with tbh, but I wanted this to be a proper DIY release).

Follow up EP in a few months time with more awesome DM artwork and some slightly lighter sounding tracks from me

I’m not a natural drone/noise guy but this is great, it’s brutal and heavy but listenable too. Proper tactile quality to that main drone, what’d you use for that if you don’t mind me asking? Mastering sounds spot-on to my ears, for what it’s worth.

The ST logo looks great, bit of a folky, witchy vibe going on, fits the theme like a glove. I bet Cwmbrancity would dig this too, seems up his street.

Have scored a cheeky physical copy, haven’t gotten acquainted with a wee 3” disc until now.

I think a bit of lockdown madness is par for the course; keep on keeping on, man. Keen to see what you’re cooking up for the next EP!

Thank you ?

I've been pretty anxious about this release because its been hanging over me for about 4 months now. 

For the opening track there is some Neutron buried in there, the main looping drone sound is actually a sample from a buddah box that I gated, distorted and added reverb too. And probably some other stuff that I did.  Barely recognisable from the original. 

Yeah the logo came together quite nicely, been reading up loads on local folklore over the last few years and I want to continue incorporating these themes. 

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

I like distortion ?

What did you use to make this?

All hardware - drum machine, noise source, bunch of pedals.  Basically using this as a showcase for future live performances when they are allowed... posting a couple out to promoters that I know and see if I can get a booking ?

• 2 weeks later...

CDs sold out! Nuts. Might make a few more....

Working on follow up EP now, similar folk-horror theme and lore.  I have got into a (good?) habit of constructing a theme around a track, taking photos, researching, and using this to work out how I want a track to sound.

I sold / traded my first batch of CDs so I have made a few more (6 left at present).

I received encouraging feedback from this release so I'm already working on the follow up.

Any orders will be shipped with a sticker and zine whilst my stocks last. Cheers!

https://solomantump.bandcamp.com/albums/grims-ditch-ep

Archived