IGNORED

Hum - Inlet

zero

just being technical ? i've studied those liner notes over and over again. total Hum fanboy here

which means that yes, i have heard Fillet Show but it's been many years since i hunted it down....probably on Soulseek or something in fact. iirc it was so meh that i listened to it like twice and then deleted the mp3s. i think there was like one or two Hum-ish songs (Hum-ish in that space-rock sorta sound they're now known for) but mostly wasn't very good. i think the other guy was doing most of the vocals on it then, Balthazar maybe? can't remember, but i don't think it's worth going out of your way for from the little i'm remembering. 

wait why are talking about it, it's on YouTube apparently:

Spoiler

comments there are nailing the sound/vibe actually. pretty messy/unformed. 

anyway Electra rules yeah, a few missteps in there in parts of some tracks but overall love that album. actually the new one sorta reminds me more of Electra in some ways than DiH/YPAA

• Like 1

I was not expecting this!

I've been a Hum fan since the 90's - saw them open for Smashing Pumpkins in Wisconsin

Something about this new album is throwing me off but I'm gonna keep at it.

I heard the drummer had quit to sell pharmaceuticals or some fucking nonsense.

Didn't know there were so many hum fans here haha

I can't believe how good this album is. I love the parts where they just space out on one riff for ages. 

Someone here recommended Downward is Heavenward to me like 10 years ago or something. I've loved that album ever since, and I think I'm gonna love this one at least as much. To me it sounds like my favourite parts of DiH expanded into an album. 

20 hours ago, qualitycontrol said:

I was not expecting this!

I've been a Hum fan since the 90's - saw them open for Smashing Pumpkins in Wisconsin

Something about this new album is throwing me off but I'm gonna keep at it.

I heard the drummer had quit to sell pharmaceuticals or some fucking nonsense.

Didn't know there were so many hum fans here haha

the drummer was sorta the catalyst for them ending the band back in 2000 from my memory, i think he wanted to not be touring most of the year because he had a kid (and i assume got a good job that was a full time thing so) and Matt/others maybe have kids too so...that and DiH didn't do very well sales-wise i think. may've been more to it? 

lots of Hum fans because Hum fucking rules :music:

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

"The inscrutable shoegaze legends..." ?‍♂️

lmao i don't click anything with Pitchfork anymore, but that lame and obv inaccurate description doesn't surprise me. 

2 hours ago, manmower said:

Can't stop listening to this.

Here's hoping tours become a thing again, sometime soon.

same, trying not to play it literally every day so i don't burn out on it

^art is changed up on the new version, looks good tho. same basic vibe... just glanced at the art for the new version on discogs and seeing that it's got Puppets/Aphids/Boy With Stick tacked on at the end! such great tracks, BWS is a personal fave. maybe my favorite song of theirs in fact? 

and Matt/et al nerded out for the serious analog-ish-ness for it lol

This vinyl copy of Downward Is Heavenward was created from 1/2" analog masters that were sequenced and edited using a razor blade and splicing tape. The mastering process utilized only analog technology, with the lacquer for each side cut directly from analog masters. At no time were the stereo masters digitized.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 8:50 PM, Stickfigger said:

Eh; its alright i guess. Weird to see it hyped on this particular forum tho 

i've talked to everyone on this site and no one likes you and they all think your opinions are the worst.

?

Hum's not for everyone, but it hits some of us weirdos just right

On 7/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, NorthernFusion said:

Never heard of this band until I saw this thread.  Dope af.

Not one bad track on this album.

awesome ?  hope you check out the rest of their stuff eventually too, should be well into it if you're enjoying this one. :music:

9 hours ago, auxien said:

i've talked to everyone on this site and no one likes you and they all think your opinions are the worst.

?

Hum's not for everyone, but it hits some of us weirdos just right

awesome ?  hope you check out the rest of their stuff eventually too, should be well into it if you're enjoying this one. :music:

This and the prior two albums have been on repeat for the past couple of weeks.  Amazed I never heard of them until now, because they’re right up my alley.  Think I like them for the same reason I like American Football, except these guys are a lot more heavy handed.

• Farnsworth 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:43 PM, Stickfigger said:

Yeh the music is fine obviously but there is loads of great guitar oriented music that doesn't get the hype that this one has was my point.

I think it has to be taken in context with the rest of their work. For me, Downward Is Heavenward is among the best guitar music I've ever heard, at least in that style. This album being more of the same (in a good way this time!) is very exciting as a result.

I love the guitar sound on this album.  Before nu-metal ruined everything, this is where I pictured rock music heading... but then all the bands that were doing this sort of heavy spacey pop thing broke up and Woodstock 99 happened, which to me epitomizes the low point in rock music history... well, at least where the almost-mainstream is concerned.  I've no doubt underground rock music's always been kicking ass somewhere.

But yeah, major nostalgia trip on this album, but also probably their best release.  I think they really nailed every aspect of their sound here, and the lyrics are stronger overall too.  The production's perfect to my ears (never quite got there on the other albums imo).

I'll have to give Heart is a Monster another listen.  While it was nice to hear Failure again, and it picks up right where they left off, I felt the songwriting overall wasn't as strong... although that Beatlesque ballad tune is one of their best.  I recall there being a lot of vocal melody choices that wrecked what were otherwise cool song ideas.  Don't they have a followup due out soon/a while ago?

• 5 weeks later...

Keep meaning to get the lyrics and read along, just like a used to do as a whippersnapper. Definitely one of the best heavy rock albums I’ve heard for a long time, (but I accept I’m out of the loop these days) 

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Keep meaning to get the lyrics and read along, just like a used to do as a whippersnapper. Definitely one of the best heavy rock albums I’ve heard for a long time, (but I accept I’m out of the loop these days) 

I make good use of the fact that English is not my native language (though I'm not great at making out lyrics in my native language either). It allows me to ignore the inanity that is most rock lyrics. Only rarely are they so obvious that I can't ignore them and when that happens it usually makes the music unlistenable (situations where lyrics are actually clear enough for me to make them out *and* good enough that they don't make me cringe are pretty much non-existent).

Instrumental music FTW.

• Like 3

I appreciate lyrics more these days but I have to read them to actually absorb them. Especially in the metals musics. 

im gonna give this hummer band a spin 

Edited by Candiru

• 10 months later...

^yeah, same ?

they'd done a few shows with the drummer from Shiner some years back when Bryan temporarily quit during some small tour…but feels a bit tactless to worry about any of that. really glad they got Inlet out no matter anything else. he was an exceptional drummer and had a unique approach that really did add a lot of character to the songs.