IGNORED

Anti-vaxxers

bendish

10 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Your question makes no sense because the alternative - getting Covid-19 - can also have long-term effects that might only manifest after a number of years. So why seeding doubts? Just try to be a little rational

We've had plenty of coronaviruses in the past and not a single mRNA protein replicator.

15 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

So nobody thinks it's possible that there could be long-term unknowns that would only manifest after a number of years ?

I have asthma so I'm willing to roll the dice. Also this: https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20201217/covid-19-vaccine-faq-safety-side-effects-efficacy

Besides, if you're not a front line worker, then you won't be getting it for several months. In that time you'll see any adverse reactions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcom said:

Here's some statistical perspective.

Your chance of dying in a car crash: 1 in 100-ish - and most of us go out every day and don't think twice about this.
Your chance of dying from COVID-19 in the next six months: 1 in 1000 (in the US and the UK).

In general, vaccines cause severe, but non-fatal, non-disabling side-effects for 1 in 50000.
The possibility of anaphylaxis or other life-threatening condition from a vaccine is less than 1 in 1000000.

In the US, you're way more likely to die from gun assault - 1 in 300-ish - than from COVID-19 or anything related to vaccines. It's also more probable to die from a lightning strike - 1 in 180000 - than from a vaccine. Death from sharp objects? 1 in 30000. Suicide? 1 in 86. These are, in general, preventable deaths.

In the US, 100000 people die each year (1 in 3300) from paracetamol (Tylenol, Panadol), one of the most common pain relievers.

The COVID-19 vaccine will prevent a huge amount of deaths.

It's possible, but not probable - but see @TubularCorporation and @dingformung's comments above.

That's why you need to understand statistics and probabilities.

Ok.  I'm not concerned about vaccines, I'm just spooked by the idea of an entirely new vaccine mechanism that made the transit from theoretical idea to mass-produced pharmaceutical in less than a year.  I've never heard of something like this being done ever, in all the history of humanity, but apparently that isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I'm inclined to get vaccinated as soon as I can so I can go back to church, and also because I'm more concerned about other people's health than my own.

16 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I'm more concerned about other people's health than my own.

That's egocentric of you. As a functioning member of a collective you should be concerned about your own health as much as about that of other's so you can invest maximum energy into the well-being of your surroundings.

23 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

Ok.  I'm not concerned about vaccines, I'm just spooked by the idea of an entirely new vaccine mechanism that made the transit from theoretical idea to mass-produced pharmaceutical in less than a year.  I've never heard of something like this being done ever, in all the history of humanity, but apparently that isn't a big deal.

Accelerating change - technological and scientific progress produce cumulative returns - basically compound interest for knowledge.

last time i had a vaccination must've been 4/5 years ago when i got boosters against measles, mumps, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and polio.

all the homies hate preventable disease

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Except they’ve been working on RNA vaccines since the 1990s. It’s not “entirely new” at all.

As far as I can gather from a quick web search they have been used in clinical trials but they never made it out of the lab until now for financial reasons - they’re expensive to make and under normal circumstances vaccines have to be cheap.

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

That's egocentric of you. As a functioning member of a collective you should be concerned about your own health as much as about that of other's so you can invest maximum energy into the well-being of your surroundings.

I'm glad there's an ocean between us

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dcom said:

In the US, 100000 people die each year (1 in 3300) from paracetamol (Tylenol, Panadol), one of the most common pain relievers.

I completely FUBARed here, there are actually 100000 poison center calls, 56000 emergency room visits, 2600 hospitalizations and and 458 deaths a year from paracetamol in the US.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blir said:

You could fashion him a fetching looking hat out of tinfoil

I was thinking more along the lines of emailing him strings of numbers+words with no context from an email he doesn't recognize.

2 hours ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

I was thinking more along the lines of emailing him strings of numbers+words with no context from an email he doesn't recognize.

he will probably fall for it if it's done cleverly

https://dylan.tweney.com/2017/10/25/how-to-fake-an-email-from-almost-anyone-in-under-5-minutes/

3 minutes ago, drome said:

To

Vaxxers...

Maskers...

Would be Fascists...

My body, my choice. Fuck you.

your choice has an impact on everyone, just saying

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drome said:

To

Vaxxers...

Maskers...

Would be Fascists...

My body, my choice. Fuck you.

I think your stupidity would be pretty funny if you weren't a danger to others.

Also, stop downplaying fascism. By calling everyone that doesn't share your retard opinion "fascist" you make fascists appear harmless and devalue the word, which helps fascists.

Edited by dingformung
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/rainbow-flag-nhs-lgbtq-community-co-opting-rainbow-flag_uk_5f47a692c5b6cf66b2b40682?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANBInKSYXoGNRtiU02ZEGPpzAAp4tM4FaXZZ3bGYaUgKvgbUsEFtH6f6E60oAQEI4T4Ekgci9h4idtidfiFA2hTWvWC7-q-TPlh_CfBKRJUiN-QNNyJEceQQxvW-iqLJfx6QZWLInoUsEmC_MytD6c7VgXXJikUdrr1CTmLQVRFN&guccounter=2

LGBTQ+ and true liberals should move to reappropriate the rainbow symbol.

It’s being co-opted by corporate medical fascists (see that tory cunt Matt Hancock wearing a badge intended for those in the LGBTQ+ community).

Makes a mockery of a symbol that used to represent the struggle for people’s basic human rights - considering the position governments have taken with mandatory lockdowns ie wrecking millions of lives (not to mention the threats from some quarters of no jab, no job).

Pro-choice - freedom to decide your own destiny.

Resist oppression at all costs for the common good.

Brow beating and mobbing those skeptical of this experimental covid vaccine should not be tolerated.

Edited by drome
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, drome said:

Pro-choice - freedom to decide your own destiny.

You're appropriating the name used by the abortion-rights (pro-choice) movement in the US. You should also learn how to strip tracking parameters from your URLs.

Edited by dcom