Sign in to follow this  
T3551ER

It's a planet with rings around it

Someone here said that some people here might dig this or something like that. Getting a handle on a new workflow...

• Like 8

Very nice! Excellent drum programming ! You seem to be jamming with this at quite a deep level of the composition itself. How exactly is this done? I also really like the energy in this

Stick! Thanks so much for the kind words. The drums here are being played as is, using custom built drum racks in Ableton. Essentially taking a few breaks and preparing different treatments, including some starting on the two/snare, LFO modulation on the volume (to get the stutter effect), panning treatments, etc. Loads of fun tho takes some time to prepare. If I was Squarepusher I'd probably claim that I discovered this using a mixture of obscure calculus and hand programmed the parameters of each telemetric vector to divine a stepwise sidechain chimera of vapid brilliance. Unfortunately, I'm not nearly so cool, and can more accurately say I learned a lot from watching Ned Rush's videos, a la: 

Interesting . You could probably load all those individual breaks into a big file and throw into your OT megabreak style too and get a similar result by riding the fader I assume too? Or by using slice mode and playing with your keyboard ... I know that special request has done something similar to what you've posted above with his breaks ; very cool 

Also, very much mid 90s aphex with the melodies and overall sound design ; nice and dry 

Cheers m8! That's a spectacular idea - full disclosure, I actually sold the OT and went all in on Ableton + Push. . . it's not a decision I regret, but there are certain things the OT does that other things just don't. The megabreak is such a useful tool - actually found myself wondering if Heorge Garrison used some variant of that technique .. the ability to switch on the fly between patterns in mid-stride is, I think, unique to the OT. 

Thnx - the melodies and stuff came out pretty organically from the beats - Ableton workflow (for me) also helped song/structure wise... def a different mindflow than using Renoise....

On 7/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, Stickfigger said:

very much mid 90s aphex with the melodies and overall sound design

+1
well done, sounds really cool.
talking about Ableton workflow, i found myself struggling a bit with song structure when working on hardware (mainly Elektron MD + Nord Modular G1), while Live somehow gives this control back. i recently recorded some tracks into Ableton. restructuring them in the box seems to promote developing the original structure. also, it makes clear that things that work fine live just don't add up to a song.

• Like 1

i really liked this, great flow and momentum.   that ned rush jungle tutorial you mentioned is so fucking great.  i wasn't familiar with those techniques at all, and he does such a good job pulling a ton of shit together

• Like 1

@driftmark Cheers. Yeah, I quite love his tutorials. He really does a good job of introducing interesting techniques - so many tuts just kind of go "I'm going to make a X beat now" and don't go into the why. Also, entertaining AF

@lapdog fanx! Yeah, there are things that Live does that just... well, just seem to make sense from a workflow perspective. Agree, def different building a song structure v/ live jams. 

• Like 1

Edited by T3551ER

Dude youre scaling this sound up pretty quickly ... Interested to hear where it lands. I think the whole thing could be a bit grimier and overdriven tho to bring out the dank. Channeling those Bizzy Bee mu EPs towards the end a bit I thought ... Which is great because those releases rule . I wasn't loving the choice of that lead synth patch tho ... Piano outro mega lush dude...  You have many of these in the works ? I feel almost like it could be a different alias to your other stuff 

Edited by Stickfigger