IGNORED

CHATMM - Why Is Nobody Using It?

Joyrex

Why Don't You Use The WATMM Chatroom (CHATMM)?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Why Don't You Use CHATMM?

• I prefer Discord
    • I don't like the current chatroom (provide reasons in a post in the thread please)
    • I don't like chatrooms - I think they've had their time
    • The current chatroom lacks features I want (please post in the thread what those features are)
    • Other (please post in the thread your reasons)

I must have terrible timing since I'm always missing out on it. It's mainly members food, memes, feet and toes when I'm in there.

Chat rooms never really appealed to me, especially after the AOL days during my teens. Although the absence of Dank Memes therein are another major factor influencing my non-participation.

People were in the habit of visiting CHATMM. It goes down for a long time, and no one is in the habit of visiting chatmm anymore. Then they pop in on a whim to no one else being there. Just lots of people logging in at times when no one else is on.

As far as feedback goes, maybe it could be revived if we were reminded it exists more often. I haven't thought about it in months, and when I do 0 people are in the room so. I also never look at it even though its on the front page of the forum, maybe change its position somehow, like put it at the top or somewhere people's eyes are more likely to look, instead of the small box on the side of the page.

Maybe color it differently somehow instead of just blending in with everything else. In the area above the "Forums" header and below the "browse, chatmm, members" tabs. 

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 3

I remember paying a visit to chatmm out of curiosity. Said hello, got one or two hellos back. Tried to pick up the conversation thread, found no conversation thread. Just random collection of strings I could make no sense of... so I tried to contribute my own random string thinking "maybe I can fit in that way?" and it got lost in an endless stream. I think even the chatmm participants themselves don't read what others write. It's like /dev/null of consciousness. So...  How does internets work, btw?

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Like 2

I pop in semi regularly, leave a message for myself, then check back a day or so later and see that either

a) nobody has replied, or

b) nobody has even been in to the room

I guess with more people using a dedicated client / app these days (such as discord) the requirement for a web-based chatmm has dwindled.

Thanks to those who provided feedback - I'm starting to think CHATMM will be something used when there's an event (e.g., Autechre AAA) sort of like a convention hall in the real world, so maybe it being unused (but available) isn't a bad thing.

Feature wise, it offers almost everything anybody can do in a normal post/thread (post images, rich content embeds, GIFs, etc. so it's not lacking in features. It even has the ability to have private chats with other members, create your own chatroom, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

CHATMM will be something used when there's an event (e.g., Autechre AAA) sort of like a convention hall in the real world, so maybe it being unused (but available) isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, this makes a lot more sense to me, I was going to say just this. The only chat rooms I've enjoyed recently have been Mixlr sets and Twitch streams.

just make it bigger. it's too cramped. all of the text formatting options take up a 1/4th of the window. i really think that's the only thing wrong with it.

i do miss the old chatmm, even though i'm just a lurker

edit: smoke em' if ya got em'

Edited by Meadows and Labyrinths
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 12:58 PM, Meadows and Labyrinths said:

just make it bigger. it's too cramped. all of the text formatting options take up a 1/4th of the window. i really think that's the only thing wrong with it.

i do miss the old chatmm, even though i'm just a lurker

edit: smoke em' if ya got em'

Could you er, expand on that? Should have plenty of space to type depending on your device screen size...

20 minutes ago, hapbt said:

too many WATMM users in the chatmm forum

use IRC

Not sure what you mean - the whole point of this thread is because there aren't any users in CHATMM!

IRC is for old nerds who won't let go of the past. IMO.

On 7/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, Tim_J said:

What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
(I think it's your mind)
But I think it's YOUR MIND
(Your mind)
I think it's your mind, woo woo

it's penis

so, both of these windows are pretty small, but the actual chat i find to be to cluttered for its size. if it were more simplified (like the initial "Rooms" window to the right) it would be so much more straight forward. it's also kind of silly to open the chatmm dialog, then have to click on the chatmm room. i mean, if there's only one room, just make it one window, right? just make it less clicks and less formatting options taking up the limited real estate. basically, if i could just click on the dark gray CHATMM box at the bottom right of the screen and it just pulled up the chatroom, i think more people would use it. uploaded pic to show what i see, in case my old (OLD, OLD) computer is translating this badly or something.

also, someone else just said something and i can't even read the whole message~! ALSO, i wanna hit ENTER to send message. ?

chatm2.jpg.ae2e206c36d7f8f3eb7e967ac16eed04.jpg

chatm.thumb.jpg.cc4a24d67d4dee8588d9609b243b9872.jpg

Edited by Meadows and Labyrinths
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Meadows and Labyrinths said:

so, both of these windows are pretty small, but the actual chat i find to be to cluttered for its size. if it were more simplified (like the initial "Rooms" window to the right) it would be so much more straight forward. it's also kind of silly to open the chatmm dialog, then have to click on the chatmm room. i mean, if there's only one room, just make it one window, right? just make it less clicks and less formatting options taking up the limited real estate. basically, if i could just click on the dark gray CHATMM box at the bottom right of the screen and it just pulled up the chatroom, i think more people would use it. uploaded pic to show what i see, in case my old (OLD, OLD) computer is translating this badly or something.

also, someone else just said something and i can't even read the whole message~! ALSO, i wanna hit ENTER to send message. ?

chatm2.jpg.ae2e206c36d7f8f3eb7e967ac16eed04.jpg

chatm.thumb.jpg.cc4a24d67d4dee8588d9609b243b9872.jpg

Okay; so it looks like your issues are primarily on mobile - I agree the editor could be pared down (I can remove buttons at certain viewport sizes), and the whole "hit enter to post" thing has been confusing (there is a setting for it). As for going straight into CHATMM since there's only one room - I'll have to see if there is a way around this (maybe make the CHATMM link on the menu go straight into the room if possible).

Thanks for the valuable feedback!

• 2 weeks later...