CHATMM - Why Is Nobody Using It?

Joyrex

Why Don't You Use The WATMM Chatroom (CHATMM)?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Why Don't You Use CHATMM?

• I prefer Discord
    • I don't like the current chatroom (provide reasons in a post in the thread please)
    • I don't like chatrooms - I think they've had their time
    • The current chatroom lacks features I want (please post in the thread what those features are)
    • Other (please post in the thread your reasons)

Chat rooms never really appealed to me, especially after the AOL days during my teens. Although the absence of Dank Memes therein are another major factor influencing my non-participation.

People were in the habit of visiting CHATMM. It goes down for a long time, and no one is in the habit of visiting chatmm anymore. Then they pop in on a whim to no one else being there. Just lots of people logging in at times when no one else is on.

As far as feedback goes, maybe it could be revived if we were reminded it exists more often. I haven't thought about it in months, and when I do 0 people are in the room so. I also never look at it even though its on the front page of the forum, maybe change its position somehow, like put it at the top or somewhere people's eyes are more likely to look, instead of the small box on the side of the page.

Maybe color it differently somehow instead of just blending in with everything else. In the area above the "Forums" header and below the "browse, chatmm, members" tabs. 

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 3

I remember paying a visit to chatmm out of curiosity. Said hello, got one or two hellos back. Tried to pick up the conversation thread, found no conversation thread. Just random collection of strings I could make no sense of... so I tried to contribute my own random string thinking "maybe I can fit in that way?" and it got lost in an endless stream. I think even the chatmm participants themselves don't read what others write. It's like /dev/null of consciousness. So...  How does internets work, btw?

Edited by cichlisuite
  • Like 2

I pop in semi regularly, leave a message for myself, then check back a day or so later and see that either

a) nobody has replied, or

b) nobody has even been in to the room

I guess with more people using a dedicated client / app these days (such as discord) the requirement for a web-based chatmm has dwindled.

Thanks to those who provided feedback - I'm starting to think CHATMM will be something used when there's an event (e.g., Autechre AAA) sort of like a convention hall in the real world, so maybe it being unused (but available) isn't a bad thing.

Feature wise, it offers almost everything anybody can do in a normal post/thread (post images, rich content embeds, GIFs, etc. so it's not lacking in features. It even has the ability to have private chats with other members, create your own chatroom, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

CHATMM will be something used when there's an event (e.g., Autechre AAA) sort of like a convention hall in the real world, so maybe it being unused (but available) isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, this makes a lot more sense to me, I was going to say just this. The only chat rooms I've enjoyed recently have been Mixlr sets and Twitch streams.

just make it bigger. it's too cramped. all of the text formatting options take up a 1/4th of the window. i really think that's the only thing wrong with it.

i do miss the old chatmm, even though i'm just a lurker

edit: smoke em' if ya got em'

Edited by Meadows and Labyrinths
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 12:58 PM, Meadows and Labyrinths said:

just make it bigger. it's too cramped. all of the text formatting options take up a 1/4th of the window. i really think that's the only thing wrong with it.

i do miss the old chatmm, even though i'm just a lurker

edit: smoke em' if ya got em'

Could you er, expand on that? Should have plenty of space to type depending on your device screen size...

20 minutes ago, hapbt said:

too many WATMM users in the chatmm forum

use IRC

Not sure what you mean - the whole point of this thread is because there aren't any users in CHATMM!

IRC is for old nerds who won't let go of the past. IMO.

On 7/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, Tim_J said:

What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
(I think it's your mind)
But I think it's YOUR MIND
(Your mind)
I think it's your mind, woo woo

it's penis

so, both of these windows are pretty small, but the actual chat i find to be to cluttered for its size. if it were more simplified (like the initial "Rooms" window to the right) it would be so much more straight forward. it's also kind of silly to open the chatmm dialog, then have to click on the chatmm room. i mean, if there's only one room, just make it one window, right? just make it less clicks and less formatting options taking up the limited real estate. basically, if i could just click on the dark gray CHATMM box at the bottom right of the screen and it just pulled up the chatroom, i think more people would use it. uploaded pic to show what i see, in case my old (OLD, OLD) computer is translating this badly or something.

also, someone else just said something and i can't even read the whole message~! ALSO, i wanna hit ENTER to send message. 😞

chatm2.jpg.ae2e206c36d7f8f3eb7e967ac16eed04.jpg

chatm.thumb.jpg.cc4a24d67d4dee8588d9609b243b9872.jpg

Edited by Meadows and Labyrinths
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Meadows and Labyrinths said:

so, both of these windows are pretty small, but the actual chat i find to be to cluttered for its size. if it were more simplified (like the initial "Rooms" window to the right) it would be so much more straight forward. it's also kind of silly to open the chatmm dialog, then have to click on the chatmm room. i mean, if there's only one room, just make it one window, right? just make it less clicks and less formatting options taking up the limited real estate. basically, if i could just click on the dark gray CHATMM box at the bottom right of the screen and it just pulled up the chatroom, i think more people would use it. uploaded pic to show what i see, in case my old (OLD, OLD) computer is translating this badly or something.

also, someone else just said something and i can't even read the whole message~! ALSO, i wanna hit ENTER to send message. 😞

chatm2.jpg.ae2e206c36d7f8f3eb7e967ac16eed04.jpg

chatm.thumb.jpg.cc4a24d67d4dee8588d9609b243b9872.jpg

Okay; so it looks like your issues are primarily on mobile - I agree the editor could be pared down (I can remove buttons at certain viewport sizes), and the whole "hit enter to post" thing has been confusing (there is a setting for it). As for going straight into CHATMM since there's only one room - I'll have to see if there is a way around this (maybe make the CHATMM link on the menu go straight into the room if possible).

Thanks for the valuable feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Joyrex unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hello spiral
      https://memoryglands.bandcamp.com/album/youre-in-chatmms-house-now

While we're waiting, here are some codes:
      https://salaamhelicoid.bandcamp.com/yum
      Future Egypt
      2pwr-eyjr
      u9x3-hrpa
      xyc5-vs7b
      qkjf-6dpx
      fngl-yl3p
      ldkh-7jdn
      ejyj-56we
      bf28-byl3
      5dly-cfqs
      rjpy-xp6d
      dbfn-j28h
      Face I deserve
      pl5f-hun8
      8s6m-55vn
      7656-wqne
      xnrt-c85u
      jam2-x27p
      f785-jcqn
      mwnb-kcge
      fpam-gxru
      5ff9-uvwq
      b5du-59dt
      a7ja-78xb
      8mbr-vnmw
      2rvw-ge9s

STTC
      eq8z-xnz3
      grnu-je94
      2xdv-kbgm
      dej8-6xf6
      p8b2-yvek
      6fke-vpt8
      kw39-gr3n
      zjvz-3llj
      n9bk-hm5y
      mtxu-vgbr
      gkqa-634l
      3n8r-kxje
      Circlejerk
      3lmd-vlpw
      we8e-6a3s
      s6nb-y7dl
      sndm-bjxe
      sdq9-xka3
      k7dh-34q4
      u5hp-cqga
      x8er-wtr7
      qz7w-c2hv
      f35c-xcm8
      5x6q-ecy2
      gqyf-3w2h
      3ruv-cxwv
      dvl8-hpc8
    • By Joyrex
      As some of you may have noticed, CHATMM is back, and better than ever!
      As always, we're working out the kinks, so if you can help us report any oddness (right now it seems nobody can type?) that would be helpful.
    • By Joyrex
      So as some of you may recall, we lost our dedicated chatroom, CHATMM due to the forum provider getting out of the dedicated chatroom providing service.
      There were some potential replacements, but all were costly and didn't offer the same level of integration that we had with CHATMM. So, as a stopgap solution, a suggestion was made to use Discord as a replacement.
      Discord has been fine, and recently with the forum upgrade, I have been able to leverage addons for the forum to more tightly integrate it into the forums (new topics get a link in the Discord, for example). It still doesn't 'feel' the same though, and it's still very disconnected from the site.
      There's been a new development and now there is a potentially viable replacement chatroom for the forums that I have been researching. According to the developer, it offers:
      Main Chatroom Features
      Create unlimited chatrooms Choose what groups can view the chatrooms Choose what groups can chat in the chatrooms Choose what groups can whisper ( read below for the whisper feature ) Choose what groups can download attachments Set the amount of messages to be show in each chatroom Chatrooms uses the IPS editor for the messages Full ckEditor toolbar with all your add-ons will work including the new giphy image add-on Full ability to upload attachments directly to the messages from your PC or mobile phone Supports all of IPS' embedding features of videos / images and your own website link embeds Live updates of new messages using Ajax refresh Choose to play a sound when a new message gets posted Live updates of the online user list using Ajax refresh Choose to play a sound when the online user list gets updated Whisper ( Allow members to send private messages to multiple users ) Choose to show the new messages from either the top or bottom of the message list Members can toggle the sound on or off for each chatroom Members can toggle to hide/show the online user list Allow moderators to edit the chatrooms on the front end Directly embed videos by uploading the video file directly to the editor Moderator Permissions Can edit messages Can delete messages Can use the ban list Each chatroom has their own ban list what moderators with permissions can edit to ban certain members from the chatroom Choose from 2 different style chatrooms with a standard or a more compact view of the message list Choose to display only the message senders avatar Choose to display only the message senders name Choose to display both Add a widget to any page showing a list of chatrooms and the amount of members online in each one Member Chatrooms
      Members can create their own chatrooms Member chatrooms will appear in their profiles in the tabs section Member chatroom owners have full control of the ban list for their chatroom You can choose if and what user groups can delete messages from their chatrooms via the ACP Bots
      Create unlimited bots to post messages when something happens on your site Select a member to send the messages ( You could create a bot member via the ACP and use that ) Each bot can be set to post in different chatrooms Applications supported for bot posting Calendar Create a message when a new event gets created Create a message when someone comments on a event Create a message when someone reviews a event Downloads Create a message when someone uploads a file Create a message when someone comments on a file Create a message when someone reviews a file Forums Create a message when someone posts a topic Create a message when someone replies to a topic Gallery Create a message when someone uploads a image Create a message when someone comments on a image Create a message when someone reviews a image Lottery Create a message when a new game is created Create a message when a game has been drawn Create a message when a member claims a winning ticket Media Uploader Create a message when a member uploads a image Create a message when a member uploads a video file Create a message when a member uploads a audio file Create a message when a member uploads a document Members Create a message when someone registers on the site Members Shop Create a message when a user purchases a item Nexus Create a message when someone reviews a product Random Messages / Quotes Create messages / quotes from a stack setting allowing you add as many as you want and the bot will post random ones each cycle Sports Betting App Create a message when a member places a bet Create a message when a member claims a winning ticket Standard Message Create a message via the editor and the bot will post the messages each cycle Standard & Random Message Cycle Settings Run cycle every 5 minutes Run cycle every 15 minutes Run cycle every 30 minutes Run cycle every 60 mintutes Run cycle every 3 hours Run cycle every 6 hours Run cycle every 12 hours Run cycle every day Each application you pick you can select from a list of their categories / forums etc for when the bot should send a message, this can also be set to all categories / forums etc If you don't have any of the apps installed above the settings will not show for you to enable them If you delete a chatroom from the ACP any bots linked to that chatroom will also be deleted, this is to stop any errors that could be thrown if the chatroom don't longer exist and the bot does More applications will be coming to the bot section in the near future including some 3rd party applications Widgets
      Show chatrooms in widgets allowing you to place them all over your site allowing members to chat on other pages These chatrooms can be toggled to be hidden or shown ( Of course it is shown by default ) Shows a list of chatrooms and the amount of users online in each of them Apologies for the formatting; I can't be arsed to bullet indent all that and not strip away the formatting so it matches our posts.
    • By fxbip
      Saturday, February the 24th, in homage to his music and to honor his life and artistic achievements
      i will be co-hosting a special edition of the Snareup radio show dedicated to the memory of Thomas Denis aka Qebrus.

Tune in with us on discord,and let's enjoy and celebrate together the unique music of this remarkable musician and sound artist.

Times:
      3p PT, 5p CT, 6p CT, 11p GMT, 1a EEST tune into twitch.tv/snareup or join our Discord server via snareup.com.

Thank you

RIP Thomas

http://www.snareup.com/
      https://www.twitch.tv/snareup
    • By Friendly Foil
      Volume 15: HTWV  
      1. Rowan - Tenacity Scorched 03:47 2. DataSports - Sunshade Summit 02:27 3. Tricone - Awaiting The Rains 03:46 4. Sunnyside Corporation - Sidewalk Mirage 04:20 5. PabulumAttic - Fan Collapse 04:04 6. Hello Spiral - Bacardiwave 11:51 7. DJ Saint-Hubert - blotches dont know 04:25 8. pan pipe crafter - pineapple lost at sea 00:44 9. PabulumAttic - Fever Bursts 03:19 10. soothsayer - Heatwave (Braced) 04:46   Theme: Heatwave  Cover art by: Justin Bergstrom (www.behance.net/patternoverlap)  Music by: barbu, DorkingtonPugsly, Friendly Foil, hello spiral, lamourfou, patternoverlap, pyramidpanes, Ragnar, Tricone RC.  
      Link: https://chatmm.bandcamp.com/album/volume-15-htwv