IGNORED

Live performance techniques/tips & tricks?

The most fun I ever had playing live was when my friend texted me and was like “hey I have a spot at this bar tonight. Wanna jam?”

I showed up with my em1 and a 1/4” and midi cable.

played with zero practice. It was FUN. I just went through my patterns as a starting point and used mutes and volume to bring stuff in, then did a lot of live edits. He was on a volca sample I believe 

the simplicity of having one or two simple boxes MAX is very freeing.

when I was trying to play live with a laptop, majority of the experience was frustrating and sad. Laptop is for composing when you have hours alone, not spontaneity. IMO

15 hours ago, bendish said:

This guy has a very simple set up and makes super fun tracks.

Yeah it's a nice setup and the guy is good at what he does. All his tracks sound the same though. ? I think his flow is very much tied to that looper, too.

Also he makes it up with showmanship, so it's a wash.

8 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Yeah it's a nice setup and the guy is good at what he does. All his tracks sound the same though. ? I think his flow is very much tied to that looper, too.

Also he makes it up with showmanship, so it's a wash.

He could do much more I guess but its mainly 'songs' rather than electronic complexity.

21 hours ago, sheatheman said:

The most fun I ever had playing live was when my friend texted me and was like “hey I have a spot at this bar tonight. Wanna jam?”

I showed up with my em1 and a 1/4” and midi cable.

played with zero practice. It was FUN. I just went through my patterns as a starting point and used mutes and volume to bring stuff in, then did a lot of live edits. He was on a volca sample I believe 

the simplicity of having one or two simple boxes MAX is very freeing.

when I was trying to play live with a laptop, majority of the experience was frustrating and sad. Laptop is for composing when you have hours alone, not spontaneity. IMO

Yeah these are the best sometimes.  One of my favorite shows I just showed up with a guitar, two pedals and a Space Echo that barely worked, and while one of the other bands was setting up I arranged to borrow their amp AND put together a pickup band with their drummer and bass player and did a pretty solid set of Hawkwind style space metal.  Never even knew their names.

Another favorite was when we had a freak blizzard the of a show and got 20 inches of snow in two hours.  It wasn't cancelled because Dan Deacon had traveled all the way from Baltimore to play, but everyone in my band was snowed in.  I lived 8 blocks from the place we were playing, so I stuck a couple of cables and one of these (with a footswitch for the HOLD) in a backpack:

24d79e6540f8f848a7782b8a226644d0.jpg

Walked through the snow with that, a guitar and a little combo amp and did a solo drone set that ended up going over really well with the 5 people who actually showed up. 

Also the heat was broken at the venu so it was about 50 degrees with an inch of water on the floor, and Dan Deacon hardly got to play because a guy from the shitty local headline act got drunk and heckled him the whole time, so it turned into more of a comedy routine where he spent 25 minutes of a 30 minute set insulting the guy, but he was so clever about it and the guy was so drunk that he didn't know he was being insulted. Still one of my very favorite shows I've played.

I played tiny venues and had insane lots of fun.

I played Sonar and can’t remember one bit of my time on stage. I do remember the 2 months of self-depreciation and depression before the gig though. Ah memories.

ps: I’d love to play Sonar again though, eh

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

OMG I've just realised the dude in the long hair is James from Twin Peaks.

And James has always been cool.

Twin Peaks would have definitely been better if James had robot hands in Season 2.

Archived