IGNORED

The change half way though IO is one of the greatest things to ever happen

Suffocate Peon

great track. one that i prefer on the album version. i wonder if the 90101 tracks are connected to IO in the great (versions) hierarchy, like Perlence and chenc-9.

I agree that it's one of the greatest things to ever happen to Quaristice and that's not much.

13 hours ago, AnwarAutokino said:

the snare sound on that track is rural af

fixt

7 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

Was about to post this. I'd love to see more music theory analysis of Autechre. Another interesting one someone posted here a while ago (albeit not in video form) was explaining the chord progression in T ess xi. 

I also suspect that some of the stuttering beat patterns they use are "nested tuplets" which I'm only just starting to wrap my head around.

Oh yeah i think Cfern might be a bit of "quintuplet swing"... And there's something weird happening in the middle of that song too that I've never fully understood... 

The three note melody after 2:17 is also quite late 90s Aphex style? And the first time it plays it's 4 notes and then switches to 3 notes? I remember it as a four notes playing the whole time so it kind of fucks up how you hear or remember it. There is a bit where it could be 3 or 4 notes later but two of them would be really close to each other.

The funny thing and a thing I like about Autechre is that for example the melody in the video could be them putting it there deliberately like "I created a melody with two whole tone scales going up and down. That'll give them something to scratch their beards on" or it could be just "I drew an X in the sequencer and it sounds trippy, mate. Let's put that in." Could be either way or something else.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:11 PM, zkom said:

The funny thing and a thing I like about Autechre is that for example the melody in the video could be them putting it there deliberately like "I created a melody with two whole tone scales going up and down. That'll give them something to scratch their beards on" or it could be just "I drew an X in the sequencer and it sounds trippy, mate. Let's put that in." Could be either way or something else.

except that it's a monomachine so there's no X to "draw" other than visualizing it in their heads i guess. 

6 hours ago, ignatius said:

except that it's a monomachine so there's no X to "draw" other than visualizing it in their heads i guess. 

Ok, that's interesting then. Just thought it would be funny to picture them just drawing things on a piano roll or similar. I haven't really followed the gear discussion of each era so I have no idea if Quaristice was all done on Monomachine or were there some Max/MSP patches or something else.

Anyway just my idle speculation.

Ok, that's interesting then. Just thought it would be funny to picture them just drawing things on a piano roll or similar. I haven't really followed the gear discussion of each era so I have no idea if Quaristice was all done on Monomachine or were there some Max/MSP patches or something else.

Anyway just my idle speculation.

They played that track during the untilted tour. It’s on that Glasgow live set I think. Been a while since I listened but I’m sure I heard the gist of it before Quaristice.

Edit around the 41 minute mark. This set is more or less the same set they played in portland which was just the machinedrum and monomachine.

On the monomachine, the 16 sequencer button array can be used to play pitches, in fact it matches exactly the pitch range of this riff i.e., C3 - Eb4 (or whatever octave it's at). So it would be the 8 odd buttons ascending and the 8 even buttons descending, played in an 'interlocking' manner.

In an MPC 4x4 button grid, it'd be the steps in the odd columns ascending vs the steps in the even columns descending.

It also makes a really interesting shape on an actual keyboard/piano - it's not easy or probably impossible to play the entire ascending(descending) scale with the left(right) hand because the two get in each other's way, so each scale has to be split in half, with the left hand playing the lowest 8 notes, and the right the upper 8 notes of the riff.

Archived