Sign in to follow this  
StickyFeet

Sticky Feet's Noodlings

Hi everyone, after years of procrastination and a steady diet of musical consumption I've recently taken up music production in the last few months and feel that I've learned enough to start asking for some feedback and sharing my songs / noodlings with you all. I've got a few tracks I'm working on tidying up and putting the finishing touches on and I'll share those when they're ready, but I thought I'd use this thread to dump my noodles and musical experiments for some community feedback to help me hone my craft. So, please... tell me how you really feel 😂.

I've always been interested in modular synthesis, but I don't have a boatload of money and or a modular rig (although I am starting to accumulate a good amount of gear), so I opted to snag a copy of Ableton. I've been trying to treat it / use it in a similar manner to modular synthesis in that I'm trying to treat everything as a modulation source instead of thinking linearly. These are just a couple noodles I made over the weekend experimenting w/ single note midi input that evolves , recursive signal paths and shephard's tones. Enjoy, let me know how I can make it better!

• Like 2

The panning on that first track is too extreme to my ears dude ... It is an interesting experiment tho and I generally like what's happening with the track but I feel as tho it just fizzles out and at the end I'm wondering if it was worth it or not . That second track reminded me of some aleksi perala stuff from MU3 and MU4 of which I am a big fan ... I didnt love that distorted monosynth tho so much but overall it was a nice track. Quite good for someone just starting out ... Well done 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:12 PM, StickyFeet said:

Hi everyone, after years of procrastination and a steady diet of musical consumption I've recently taken up music production in the last few months and feel that I've learned enough to start asking for some feedback and sharing my songs / noodlings with you all. I've got a few tracks I'm working on tidying up and putting the finishing touches on and I'll share those when they're ready, but I thought I'd use this thread to dump my noodles and musical experiments for some community feedback to help me hone my craft. So, please... tell me how you really feel 😂.

I've always been interested in modular synthesis, but I don't have a boatload of money and or a modular rig (although I am starting to accumulate a good amount of gear), so I opted to snag a copy of Ableton. I've been trying to treat it / use it in a similar manner to modular synthesis in that I'm trying to treat everything as a modulation source instead of thinking linearly. These are just a couple noodles I made over the weekend experimenting w/ single note midi input that evolves , recursive signal paths and shephard's tones. Enjoy, let me know how I can make it better!

I'm having trouble suggesting anything here, because I honestly don't really know what you're going for, so this might seem like a useless opinion to you. But, have you considered using more traditional melodies? Even sparsely, I think those would add more enjoyment for me.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Stickfigger said:

The panning on that first track is too extreme to my ears dude ... It is an interesting experiment tho and I generally like what's happening with the track but I feel as tho it just fizzles out and at the end I'm wondering if it was worth it or not . That second track reminded me of some aleksi perala stuff from MU3 and MU4 of which I am a big fan ... I didnt love that distorted monosynth tho so much but overall it was a nice track. Quite good for someone just starting out ... Well done 

Yeah, maybe writing a more distinctive outro (and an intro for that matter) would help break up the monotony. Unless what he's going for is a kind of droning repetition to cause a hypnotizing/psychedelic effect.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Stickfigger said:

Lol, yes, I believe I need to get in the habit of double checking my mix in headphones prior to exporting, I've got a track that I'm working on and the first time I heard it in headphones the panning induced some slight nausea. I'm also not feeling that monosyth at the end, that was the one element I was thinking of reworking / removing if I follow through and develop that idea any further.

6 hours ago, sTeh B L said:

I'm having trouble suggesting anything here, because I honestly don't really know what you're going for, so this might seem like a useless opinion to you. But, have you considered using more traditional melodies? Even sparsely, I think those would add more enjoyment for me.

These were really sound design experiments as opposed to fully fleshed out ideas / songs. I've got plenty of shit tracks w/ more traditional melody, I'm just waiting until they're more developed before dumping them to my SoundCloud. The first finished one is one its way, will post when it's complete.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Cheers.

Freddy Voorhees could be a soundtrack track. Can't really say much about it, it doesn't strike me as something more than some sound experimentation.

I dig Insomnia a lot more, even though it doesn't really drive to anything - when it started it reminded me of James Holden. I don't really care for the lead that starts around the 2 minute mark - it sounds very MIDI-ish.

• Like 1

Hey guys, so I'm still very much working on a couple of actual tracks as opposed to experiments, hopefully I can stop being so picky and finalize the mixes on the two I've been working on. In the mean time I thought I'd share this track I made over the weekend. I'm attempting to add some improvisation into my workflow and joined the Monthly Acid Pattern group on FB. I didn't want to fuss around w/ it too much since the idea was that it was supposed to be somewhat improvised w/ all the new toys I've been accumulating while stuck in quarantine :D 

Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/jed-lindell/monthly-acid-pattern-82020-interstate-75s-microdose-313-acid-queen

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another MAP submission (they had 2 this month) I used a 303 this time 😄

Edited by StickyFeet
I'm an idiot

Work in progress, having a hard time deciding on whether it is done yet...