Jump to content

Sticky Feet's Noodlings


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, after years of procrastination and a steady diet of musical consumption I've recently taken up music production in the last few months and feel that I've learned enough to start asking for some feedback and sharing my songs / noodlings with you all. I've got a few tracks I'm working on tidying up and putting the finishing touches on and I'll share those when they're ready, but I thought I'd use this thread to dump my noodles and musical experiments for some community feedback to help me hone my craft. So, please... tell me how you really feel 😂.

I've always been interested in modular synthesis, but I don't have a boatload of money and or a modular rig (although I am starting to accumulate a good amount of gear), so I opted to snag a copy of Ableton. I've been trying to treat it / use it in a similar manner to modular synthesis in that I'm trying to treat everything as a modulation source instead of thinking linearly. These are just a couple noodles I made over the weekend experimenting w/ single note midi input that evolves , recursive signal paths and shephard's tones. Enjoy, let me know how I can make it better!
 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The panning on that first track is too extreme to my ears dude ... It is an interesting experiment tho and I generally like what's happening with the track but I feel as tho it just fizzles out and at the end I'm wondering if it was worth it or not . That second track reminded me of some aleksi perala stuff from MU3 and MU4 of which I am a big fan ... I didnt love that distorted monosynth tho so much but overall it was a nice track. Quite good for someone just starting out ... Well done 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 1:12 PM, StickyFeet said:

Hi everyone, after years of procrastination and a steady diet of musical consumption I've recently taken up music production in the last few months and feel that I've learned enough to start asking for some feedback and sharing my songs / noodlings with you all. I've got a few tracks I'm working on tidying up and putting the finishing touches on and I'll share those when they're ready, but I thought I'd use this thread to dump my noodles and musical experiments for some community feedback to help me hone my craft. So, please... tell me how you really feel 😂.

I've always been interested in modular synthesis, but I don't have a boatload of money and or a modular rig (although I am starting to accumulate a good amount of gear), so I opted to snag a copy of Ableton. I've been trying to treat it / use it in a similar manner to modular synthesis in that I'm trying to treat everything as a modulation source instead of thinking linearly. These are just a couple noodles I made over the weekend experimenting w/ single note midi input that evolves , recursive signal paths and shephard's tones. Enjoy, let me know how I can make it better!
 

 

 

I'm having trouble suggesting anything here, because I honestly don't really know what you're going for, so this might seem like a useless opinion to you. But, have you considered using more traditional melodies? Even sparsely, I think those would add more enjoyment for me.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Stickfigger said:

The panning on that first track is too extreme to my ears dude ... It is an interesting experiment tho and I generally like what's happening with the track but I feel as tho it just fizzles out and at the end I'm wondering if it was worth it or not . That second track reminded me of some aleksi perala stuff from MU3 and MU4 of which I am a big fan ... I didnt love that distorted monosynth tho so much but overall it was a nice track. Quite good for someone just starting out ... Well done 

Yeah, maybe writing a more distinctive outro (and an intro for that matter) would help break up the monotony. Unless what he's going for is a kind of droning repetition to cause a hypnotizing/psychedelic effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2020 at 6:14 PM, Stickfigger said:

The panning on that first track is too extreme to my ears dude ... It is an interesting experiment tho and I generally like what's happening with the track but I feel as tho it just fizzles out and at the end I'm wondering if it was worth it or not . That second track reminded me of some aleksi perala stuff from MU3 and MU4 of which I am a big fan ... I didnt love that distorted monosynth tho so much but overall it was a nice track. Quite good for someone just starting out ... Well done 

Lol, yes, I believe I need to get in the habit of double checking my mix in headphones prior to exporting, I've got a track that I'm working on and the first time I heard it in headphones the panning induced some slight nausea. I'm also not feeling that monosyth at the end, that was the one element I was thinking of reworking / removing if I follow through and develop that idea any further.

6 hours ago, sTeh B L said:

I'm having trouble suggesting anything here, because I honestly don't really know what you're going for, so this might seem like a useless opinion to you. But, have you considered using more traditional melodies? Even sparsely, I think those would add more enjoyment for me.

These were really sound design experiments as opposed to fully fleshed out ideas / songs. I've got plenty of shit tracks w/ more traditional melody, I'm just waiting until they're more developed before dumping them to my SoundCloud. The first finished one is one its way, will post when it's complete.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Freddy Voorhees could be a soundtrack track. Can't really say much about it, it doesn't strike me as something more than some sound experimentation.

I dig Insomnia a lot more, even though it doesn't really drive to anything - when it started it reminded me of James Holden. I don't really care for the lead that starts around the 2 minute mark - it sounds very MIDI-ish.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, so I'm still very much working on a couple of actual tracks as opposed to experiments, hopefully I can stop being so picky and finalize the mixes on the two I've been working on. In the mean time I thought I'd share this track I made over the weekend. I'm attempting to add some improvisation into my workflow and joined the Monthly Acid Pattern group on FB. I didn't want to fuss around w/ it too much since the idea was that it was supposed to be somewhat improvised w/ all the new toys I've been accumulating while stuck in quarantine :D 

Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/jed-lindell/monthly-acid-pattern-82020-interstate-75s-microdose-313-acid-queen
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Another MAP submission (they had 2 this month) I used a 303 this time 😄

 

Edited by StickyFeet
I'm an idiot
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, StickyFeet said:

Turned Ableton into a modular, just tweaking my controls a bit, but starting to get the hang of it. 
 

 

I like the smokey, exotic mood. From about halfway though, it starts to remind me of old Orbital like Sad But True, which I like a lot... but it doesn't sound "old fashioned" in any kind of cheesy way, it's cool.

The melodic synths are really dynamic, interesting, lush, clean and bright. Keeps things engaging. It doesn't sound like quite as much attention and care was put into the percussion side of things. The drums are a little too repetitive (perhaps even just one change up somewhere around the middle or 2/3rds in would help, and the sound design is just not as interesting as the synths.

Good stuff though, I'll try to get around to listening to more...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 8:23 AM, StickyFeet said:

Another MAP submission (they had 2 this month) I used a 303 this time 😄

 

I sort of half like it. Not really keen on the fx though. I like the beats and the 303 riff but could do with some pads and maybe a vocal. I guess I'm oldskool. What drums were you using sounds like the 707? Not bad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 7:23 PM, StickyFeet said:

Another MAP submission (they had 2 this month) I used a 303 this time 😄

 

I really like this one, super fun and catchy... old-skool IDM vibes, but with nice clean, modern sound. I hope you don't mind the Orbital comparrisons, but this is what I wish they sounded like now...

On 9/12/2020 at 2:28 AM, StickyFeet said:

Work in progress, having a hard time deciding on whether it is done yet...
 

 

This one is alright, sound design and composition and all that is just fine but there wasn't anything in particular that grabbed me about it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, feedback will be kept in mind as I continue on my musical odyssey / obsession. Often forget to post here now with all the newfangled chat software out there. Despite almost never posting, I've been lurking here for more than a decade and value you guy's opinions!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have some tips for my percussion on this track? I was thinking of adding a bit more dynamics to the sound by either modulating the amp and freq cutoffs, as well as resampling it, slapping it in the sampler, setting up some loop endpoints and playing with that. Anything else I can do?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I may be late to the party on this one, but the Korg Gadget is fucking awesome. Been messing around on it for the last few days on the Nintendo Switch. This is entirely made on the Switch. Plan on mixing in a real daw after I finish it up.

 

https://youtu.be/jzB8BOGBl4A

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Done enough for now. I've spent a few weeks away from the PC DAW and have worked almost exclusively on the Nintendo Switch. I still cannot get over how much bang for your buck the Korg Gadget on Switch gets you. Hell, the iPad version has midi in / midi out and allows you to assign different channels to different tracks. For 50 bucks, you get a whole bunch of great synths, it's really a steal. (No, I do not work for Korg, lol)
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...