21st century hipster/indie bands/albums worth checking out... pop/rock and all its sub-genres like prog, psychedelic, synth, garage, surf, folk, indie, experimental etc...

I know most of you old school blokes are not into this kind of stuff but there's gotta be something from this century out there that made your eyes pop out no?

Post bands/albums that aren't idm/edm or any really specific genre...

Basically pop/rock and all its sub-genres like prog, psychedelic, garage, surf, folk, indie, experimental etc...

There's like MGMT, Connan Mockasin, LA Priest to name a few that I dig...

Edited by Tim_J

Always on the lookout for great new bands, but I suck at fiding them.  Unknown Mortal Orchestra became a fast favourite.  Top songwriting, plays all instruments like a motherfucker, fully realized cool personal aesthetic, influenced by tons of great shit to come before, but put together in a way that's quite unique.

And of these guys are unstoppable:

But yeah, I don't hear nearly enough new favourite bands.  Back when I was a young whipper snapper in the 90's, it seemed like every other band I discovered was the next greatest thing... but I think that's just a normal part of discovering music in the first place.  You get jaded about X sounding too much like Y the older you get.  But also I think really interesting bands just tend to get less exposure now.

*I'd find them if I really put in the legwork.  I just get too distracted too easily.  Need to commit more.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Thanks 1

these are fairly big names in modern indie, so you may have heard of them already:

Real Estate, and some of their side project releases (Ducktails, Martin Courtney, Alex Bleeker)

Kurt Vile, anything after Smoke Ring

War on Drugs

Mac DeMarco

Woods

Beach Fossils

DIIV

Wild Nothing

Steve Gunn

Tame Impala

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dunno if this qualifies. it's their only song on YT and more electronic than the rest of their album. they've been active for a fair while, though the album is from 2010

• Thanks 1

This is not black metal... It's something else... 

Forgot about soft hair, it's connan with the dude from la priest... 

• Like 1

Im afraid to go on YouTube cause it's a rabbit hole... Just found this on the recommendations while checking some of the suggestions on this thread and it's amazing... First of all cause I love Cumbia and this is a really fresh take on it... 

Diiv are definitely pretty good although I listen to them once every year or two.

• Thanks 1

I've tried to get into Jacco Gardner cause there's like 2 songs I really dig but everytime I played his albums I got bored...

Most of these bands nowdays seem like they're a one hit single and that's it... 

Why I love this I don't even... 

Perfume Genius, Deerhunter, Sharon Van Etten, Weyes Blood, Angel Olsen, Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, Low (started in the 90s, I know), IceAge, Courtney Barnett, Okkervil River, Blitzen Trapper, Interpol, The National, Beach House, Big Thief, Fleet Foxes, Local Natives, Cass McCombs, Iron and Wine, José Gonzales, Mount Eerie, Chromatics, St Vincent, Laura Veirs.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scumtron said:

Perfume Genius, Deerhunter, Sharon Van Etten, Weyes Blood, Angel Olsen, Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, Tame Impala, Sufjan Stevens, Low (started in the 90s, I know), IceAge, Courtney Barnett, Okkervil River, Blitzen Trapper, Interpol, The National, Beach House, Big Thief, Fleet Foxes, Local Natives, Cass McCombs, Iron and Wine, José Gonzales, Mount Eerie, Chromatics, St Vincent, Laura Veirs.

I see you have fleet foxes... What about grizzly bear? 

I see you have Deerhunter... What about panda bear and animal collective?

Sorry if I'm sounding like a bot... 

Edited by Tim_J
15 hours ago, Tim_J said:

I've tried to get into Jacco Gardner cause there's like 2 songs I really dig but everytime I played his albums I got bored...

agree with you there. his stuff sounded good when I listened to short preview clips so I downloaded it, but lost interest after a few listens.

there's another guy like that, Ryley Walker, that I liked some of his stuff as samples, but grew bored quickly with a full album.

• Thanks 1
On 7/27/2020 at 6:25 PM, zero said:

Mac DeMarco

what's his best album iyo?

9 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

{imo} 2 and Salad Days are what shot him to fame, and for good reason; they're excellent albums.  Another One and This old dog are solid.  Here comes the cowboy.. I havent given it much of a chance because I didnt really like it.  His early stuff I havent delved into.

If anyone else into that early sabbath sound (which king gizzard are also indebted to) this band rules

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

IMO: Salad Days > Another One > 2 > This Old Dog > Here Comes the Cowboy > his early stuff

check out "Ode to Viceroy" and "My Kind of Woman" from 2. both are super catchy, excellent tracks.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, zero said:

IMO: Salad Days > Another One > 2 > This Old Dog > Here Comes the Cowboy > his early stuff

check out "Ode to Viceroy" and "My Kind of Woman" from 2. both are super catchy, excellent tracks.

How could you forget Baby's Wearing Blue Jeans from Rock N' Roll Nightclub?

Or Rick's Haircut #1 or #2?

Other bands (since I like this kind of music):

Morabeza Tobacco - TTYL

I'll list more as I think of more!

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Tim_J said:

The last albums by both FF and GB were absolutely stunning... was going to say both have been around and acknowledged for quite some time already, but I suppose this is about 21st century bands.  So yeah, they fit the criteria.  

The bands I've been most into this side of the century have been:

Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Lizard Gizzard Wizard or whatever they're called, St. Vincent, Boris (though I've barely heard a fraction of their discog), Tame Impala (though I'm less interested in his electronic tinted stuff), Bon Iver, Animal Collective.  Of Montreal and Deerhoof both really blossomed at points this century, but already had their roots in the 90's.  Anna Calvi and Keren Anne are two of my favourite songwriters/singers with a few solid albums each... not sure they fit the band criteria though.  Wilco's another favourite, but so well known and ongoing since the 90's that I'm reluctant to mention them.  Dan Deacon's pretty interesting... sort of forgot about him until just now.

One band I think could have been massive from my hometown, were it not for it ending tragically (couple rather grim deaths) is Daddy's Hands  This album is a classic for me.  Very raw, but also the perfect capture of that rawness... so actually quite well produced:

https://daddyshands.bandcamp.com/album/welcome-kings

Would have been cool to see where Dave would have gone from there.  He always had a foot planted in the more experimental side of things, but merged with really great, classic songwriting instincts.  I haven't heard a lot of super angsty bands like that in recent years that have caught my interest, but I really haven't been doing my due diligence in seeking them out either.  It's obviously out there.

• Thanks 1

This specific Josephine Foster record is way better than just about any of the more well known so-called "freak folk" I heard during its heyday in the mid 2000s.  Her other stuff is fine too but this album is pretty special.

It's hard for me personally to talk about stuff post 2010 or so because I hear a lot of really good music but I hear it all online and it's really hard for me to even remember much less form an emotional connection with music I hear that way.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Tim_J said:

I see you have Deerhunter... What about panda bear and animal collective?

Sorry if I'm sounding like a bot... 

Grizzly Bear should also be on the list. I've always had one foot in the electronic world and the other in pop/rock, but the indietronic/psychedelic electronic pop fusion thing has never really hit me. I've listened a bit to Animal Collective, but it's really not my cup of tea. Of course it fits the description for the topic.  The first album from The XX should also be mentioned, and also the early stuff from Home Video who released a few EPs on Warp, and had a good sorta electronic pop debut album. 

John Maus and Ariel Pink could also be labelled hipsterindie, or...?

• Thanks 1