IGNORED

Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says working musicians can no longer release music only “once every three to four years.” Spotify's stock value hit all-time highs of $50 billion this summer.

ignatius

On 7/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, ignatius said:

jfc these people really know just what to say. 

“The problem is this: Spotify was created to solve a problem. The problem was this: piracy and music distribution. The problem was to get artists’ music out there. The problem was not to pay people money.”

Heh. The problem was that all these amateur pirates were too unorganized to actually profit from the loot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Farnsworth 1

The music industry is weighted against artists, with even successful pop stars seeing "pitiful returns" from streaming, a committee of MPs has said.

They are calling for a "complete reset" of the market, with musicians given a "fair share" of the £736.5 million that UK record labels earn from streaming.

In a report, they said royalties should be split 50/50, instead of the current rate, where artists receive about 16%.

The findings came after a six-month inquiry into music streaming.

"While streaming has brought significant profits to the recorded music industry, the talent behind it - performers, songwriters and composers - are losing out," said Julian Knight, MP, who chairs parliament's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) committee.

"Only a complete reset of streaming that enshrines in law their rights to a fair share of the earnings will do."

MPs call for complete reset of music streaming to ensure fair pay for artists (BBC)

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, ignatius said:

jfc these people really know just what to say. 

I started writing a longish post seriously trying to analyse what this guy is trying to say, and then just decided to delete and just call the guy a fucking dickhead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

I started writing a longish post seriously trying to analyse what this guy is trying to say, and then just decided to delete and just call the guy a fucking dickhead.

I was also flabbergasted. I fucking love Spotify, and you’d have to be pointing a Raygun at my head for me to quit but reading this assholes comments almost made me do it. I guess I sleep soundly at night because I paid lots of cash for my records over 3 decades. Spotify comes into its own for my playlists, which I guess are like micro jukeboxes.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I was also flabbergasted. I fucking love Spotify, and you’d have to be pointing a Raygun at my head for me to quit but reading this assholes comments almost made me do it. I guess I sleep soundly at night because I paid lots of cash for my records over 3 decades. Spotify comes into its own for my playlists, which I guess are like micro jukeboxes.

the problem is that you're giving money to support that asshole, and he's doing all he can to fuck over artists now and in the future. it's not that you or anyone doesn't deserve an easy way to listen to music, it's that 'easiest' way is super shitty for everyone except the user (and Spotify itself).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alcofribas said:

our society rules bc the Internet has allowed people to get insanely rich for making app versions of shit that already exists. 

I mean the implementation of Apple Music (I don’t use Spotify but I imagine it’s very similar) is a lot better than the cludged-together workarounds that existed before, (curated playlists based on your listening habits is pretty neat, streaming without having to set up a server at home (fuck trying to set up a stable shoutcast server ugh), etc etc) but this guy is really a fucking dick of the most giant proportions. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

finally putting my newest album on Spotify/etc. because i forgot to cancel my Distrokid account

but until it gets on there in a day or two you should all listen to this on repeat

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, scumtron said:

https://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/four-tet-launches-legal-action-against-domino-over-streaming-royalties/083882

So Four Tet has a dispute with his former record company Domino, and the record company has removed Pause, Rounds and Everything Ecstatic from all streaming platforms.

was wondering why tracks from pause were greyed out in my playlists

5 hours ago, scumtron said:

So Four Tet has a dispute with his former record company Domino, and the record company has removed Pause, Rounds and Everything Ecstatic from all streaming platforms.

5 hours ago, milkface said:

was wondering why tracks from pause were greyed out in my playlists

this streaming or everything is a service business bullshit. you own less and less shit you put your money in nowadays. when you buy a cd or a vinyl, you have it in your home. you can play it whenever you feel like. now everything can be turned off remotely just because of some lawyer shit. not that I care particularly about FourTet, but that shit is the new hot and capital loves it.

Spoiler

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

this streaming or everything is a service business bullshit. you own less and less shit you put your money in nowadays. when you buy a cd or a vinyl, you have it in your home. you can play it whenever you feel like. now everything can be turned off remotely just because of some lawyer shit. not that I care particularly about FourTet, but that shit is the new hot and capital loves it.

Reveal hidden contents

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money

ok great. give me 1,000 quid so i can own my music

Good art should be cranked out in less than a week. 

All this talk of 'magnum opuses' and 'masterpieces' are bullshit. It should be a cut and dry 2:30 mostly centered around an 808 sample, autotuned vocals about eating ass and random corporate jingles playing every once in a while. All other music is the equivalent to shaking it more than 3 times at the urinal or double dipping a chip in some salsa at a party. 

• Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 2

3 hours ago, Audioblysk said:

All this talk of 'magnum opuses' and 'masterpieces' are bullshit. It should be a cut and dry 2:30 mostly centered around an 808 sample, autotuned vocals about eating ass and random corporate jingles playing every once in a while. All other music is the equivalent to shaking it more than 3 times at the urinal or double dipping a chip in some salsa at a party. 

I think we're all just missing the mark, after all, Steve Jobs said real artists ship. 

• Like 1

Spotify users and artists have responded to CEO Daniel Ek's €100 million investment in AI defence tech company Helsing. On November 9th, Ek announced the investment into the British-German company, whose technology will initially be sold to the French, British and German militaries. As part of the deal, Ek is also joining Helsing's board. Helsing says it will use "world-leading AI technology for defence and national security" to provide "information advantage for democratic governments" and "keep liberal democracies from harm." The €100-million deal, which arrives via Ek's €1 billion Prima Materia investment company, has angered some Spotify users, who responded to Ek's tweet by closing accounts and jumping ship to competitors like Bandcamp and Tidal. Some supported the hashtag campaign to #BoycottSpotify. Ambient dub fusion music producer Darren Sangita was among them. "AI means using computers to process information a hundred times faster so they accurately deliver a higher kill ratio," Sangita told Resident Advisor. "Music is being used as a weapon. I can't sign up to that, so I've already unsubscribed and now plan to take all my music down from Spotify [...] We believe in music as a powerful tool for peace, otherwise it's a complete contradiction of our music philosophy."

'Music is being used as a weapon': Spotify users and artists react to CEO's €100 million investment in AI defence tech (Resident Advisor)

• Facepalm 5

On 11/14/2021 at 7:51 PM, ignatius said:

not surprising.. it's how capitalism works. 

...and of course I missed this two-week old post and went right ahead with a duplicate because I've set up browser extension preferences to block Twitter embeds (yeah, I don't see my own Twitter embeds either). Oh, the shame.

Regardless, Ek's a cucking funt.

Edited by dcom
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 2

Much like some boast about no Facebook, I’m proud to say that I’ve never had a Spotify account. 
With all this weapons investing, I’m even prouder. 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, Audioblysk said:

2:30 is generous. 

• Like 1