IGNORED

Plaid haters

President Squidward

1 minute ago, zero said:

Not for Threes/Restproof/Double Figure were a great run IMO. I know it is widely praised here but I never could get into Spokes. thought the tekkonkinkreet soundtrack was nice, but not great. Greedy Baby, Scintilli I also didn't much care for. I guess I mentally wrote them off at that point, that they had released their best in the '90s/2001 and then boom - out comes Reachy Prints, which impressed the hell out of me. I've probably listened to that more than any of their others. IMO it is their most mature sounding album. I didn't much care for the last 2.

I agree overall - I think I only listened through Reachy Prints once, but I did enjoy it, just didn't remember anything besides "Hawkmoth".

Reachy Prints took me a while to fully appreciate, but when I did, I fucking LOVED everything on it. I see a lot of people call it boring over at Rateyourmusic, definitely a grower album that still takes a few listens to grow honestly. I would love to see another album in that style.

Back when I last time tried to listen to Plaid and got the Double Figure I found it a bit meh and even slightly depressing or sad. I don't know why? Just remember walking around with Double Figure playing in my mp3 player thinking well this is definitely not cheering me up. Might have been my mental state, because I found Analord also weirdly uncomfortable. Then started listening Venetian Snares and found that interesting for a while, so who the fuck knows, lol.

Anyway, maybe I should give it a go again, because it's been ages since then.

I’ve never cared for any Plaid track or any Plaid album for that matter.  The music / melodies lacks soul and the percussion is boring and stale.  

Very generic IDM to me.  

1 minute ago, Lapis Lazuli said:

Yeah man i've got though depression where only v snares would cheer me up. Sad times. Give plaid another try in a better mood. Hope you find something in them because they have georgious tracks/albums .  they are like the only thing i litsen to now

Lol, it wasn't just any Venetian Snares but I mostly kept listening to the Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole album at the time.:cisfor:

So, relistened Double Figure and it's not nearly as bad or sad as I remembered. Need to check maybe other releases when I have time.

Yeah. Currently relistening as well. Light rain is a bit depressing. Annoyingly so actually. But after that, it picks up pretty quick again. New family is ace. If you can't appreciate this album you're at the wrong place, imo. ?

rainy day rain GIF

16 hours ago, Lapis Lazuli said:

hmm, i can't take from that at all . why be so negative about a group in their own dedicated thread . 

I thought this thread was about Plaid haters?

Was merely expressing why I did not like them.  

On 8/5/2020 at 10:06 PM, President Squidward said:

Light Rain is depressingly beautiful ?

Weird, I always thought Light Rain was a little spooky but mostly boring.

For me, Twin Home is the pretty/sad one from Double Figure.

On 8/5/2020 at 2:16 AM, President Squidward said:

Reachy Prints took me a while to fully appreciate, but when I did, I fucking LOVED everything on it. I see a lot of people call it boring over at Rateyourmusic, definitely a grower album that still takes a few listens to grow honestly. I would love to see another album in that style.

You're babbling. This is such a poorly conceived thread it speaks volumes about the credentials of your cohorts its made it onto a second page. Truly appalling. Plaid must be cringing their arses off if they've seen this, and I hope they haven't, which is likely

22 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

You're babbling. This is such a poorly conceived thread it speaks volumes about the credentials of your cohorts its made it onto a second page. Truly appalling. Plaid must be cringing their arses off if they've seen this, and I hope they haven't, which is likely

lmaooo

On 8/17/2020 at 7:54 AM, theplaided said:

i hate the fact that they tend to play safe and stick to familiar patterns lately ?

i know that feel, fellow plaid fan. i love their sound a lot, but i always crave more variety and experimentation to help craft their style even more.

Electronica oft gets accused of being "plinky plonky"........ but thats what Plaid often feels like to me. Few lovely tunes

Saw them live a few times - double figure tour in dublin wasn't bad.... supporting luke vibert in london a few years ago.. yikes

But im willing to change my mind: LOVE "oh" on Reachy Prints for example

Plaid are special for me. I haven't enjoyed all of their albums (I couldn't get through The Digging Remedy for some reason) but what I like, I love. Double Figure is an obvious classic. P-Brane is top tier IDM for me. Polymer blew me away. Not For Threes and Rest Proof Clockwork are lovely albums that are as much respectable as early AFX imo. It's strange that I hold them in such high regard when I only really love half of what they've put out, but I've always felt some connection with their music. I'm a sucker for melody, and I think they're among the most melodic/emotional of the Warp artists from that era, even though their melodies are often a bit awkward and naive.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:57 PM, dcom said:

You can also hear the influence of Benet Walsh in their more recent albums.

Woah, thanks for linking! I loved his contributions to Plaid tracks, I'm definitely keen to check his other stuff out.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:02 AM, goDel said:

New family is ace.

New Family is a banger! Probably my favourite Plaid track.

The twee/cartoony elements are, for me, offset by the twitchy, byzantine chord sequences and melodies. Plaid have always sounded (to my untrained ears) to be the watmm artists most well versed in music theory (except for maybe Tom J) and they usually manage to keep me guessing and engaged. Youre never gonna get something drenched in obvious beauty like AFX or BoC or something head meltingly alien like Ae or Sp but you'll get something which is middle ground and I'm glad they are still flying the flag for leftfield, finickity British techno.

Plus the last album seemed to play down the twee stuff.. and when they turn it up to 11 on stuff like Dang Spot the results are hilarious.

• 1 month later...

I used to listen to them a bit, back in the late 90s, early 2000s.  This was when I was way more into the whole electronica scene.

I listened to Plaid again recently, as they got recommended on Youtube.  Double Figure, I think it was.

Really bad, cringy and lacking any guts or power.  Real beta male IDM.

Archived