IGNORED

Beirut Explosion

bendish

A firework warehouse next to nitrate storage feels about as plausible as a bat next to a pangolin if I'm thinking out loud. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My conspiracy theory is Israelis sabotaging secret Hizbollah rocket/munitions stash. Those videos are nuts

13 minutes ago, zkom said:

Al-Jazeera is reporting that it's stored ammonium nitrate that went boom https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/large-explosion-rocks-lebanon-capital-beirut-200804153400078.html

A similar explosion involving ammonium nitrate happened in Tianjin, China in 2015.

yeah Tianjin was horrible too, 173 people died there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv5g2MhPT5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nr6Tlu0EvM

A nuclear device would be at least ten times the size of that explosion. Nukes also knock out electronics in that shockwave since they emit EMPs.

It looks like an accident.

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

So is it true that it just went boom and nobody died? In that case I like it, I like explosions

Not quite. At least 27 dead, 2500 injured (and counting).

1 hour ago, IDEM said:

Not quite. At least 27 dead, 2500 injured (and counting).

70 dead, about 4000 injured now

1 minute ago, aencre said:

I’ve got friends in Beirut, and still no news of them... 

aw man that sucks, hope they're fine 

3 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Did anyone say it was a nuke? 

8 hours ago, bendish said:

There are definitely people saying that on Twitter. Those people are idiots. 

3 hours ago, yekker said:

It was a babby nuke..

Babby form how?

Spoiler

Just in case anyone isn't aware yekkers is joking.

In Nicosia, Cyprus - this was very loud, the air pulsed and house shook, and we are 150 miles away. Lebanon has to rebuild so much - politics, society, infrastructure. Devastating.

Jots down: "Never live near any docks".

13 hours ago, xxx said:

A firework warehouse next to nitrate storage feels about as plausible as a bat next to a pangolin if I'm thinking out loud. 

Finnish morning TV kind of off-handedly said that it was ammonium nitrate storage that had been neglected for years and people didn't even know about it's existence but I don't know where they got that information. So, it might be that whoever was storing fireworks didn't know about the existence of the ammonium nitrate right next door. Given that Lebanon generally has high levels of corruption it doesn't sound too implausible to me.

2 hours ago, zkom said:

Jots down: "Never live near any docks".

Finnish morning TV kind of off-handedly said that it was ammonium nitrate storage that had been neglected for years and people didn't even know about it's existence but I don't know where they got that information. So, it might be that whoever was storing fireworks didn't know about the existence of the ammonium nitrate right next door. Given that Lebanon generally has high levels of corruption it doesn't sound too implausible to me.

Yeah, this seems to be the case, a recipe for disaster. Terrible.

Archived