IGNORED

Machinedrum - A View Of U

thumbass

2nd track sounds decent! I'm not into rap anymore, so not too big on the vocals on the 1st one. nothing against Freddie Gibbs though, as I know he's talented. 

and from the bandcamp description, sounds like he's moved on from the crystals to um, something otherworldly?

“A View Of U”—the use of "U" represents the Universe or the Infinite—is based on this concept of having an out of body experience (OOBE). “The feeling of being out of your body feels infinite. It feels like time has stopped. It feels like the birth of creation,” explains Travis. “It feels like the impossible becomes possible. It feels unfamiliar and familiar at the same time. It feels scary at first but once you let go of that fear and surrender to the experience it feels incredibly beautiful and life changing.” He began thinking about how the power of the OOBE is also felt in the song creation process. “When I am in the creative zone I tend to forget time, who I am and where I am,” he explains. “As I became aware of my OOBE through song creation, choosing what songs should go on an album as well as through my meditation, I realized that this was meant to be the central theme of the album.”

• Like 1

Freddie gibbs and machinedrum wut? let me have it! wonder what dr lopez has to say about this
Also, MxDx has a d&b ep released this year that i like "berry patch" check it out on bruh it bang

• Like 2

Idk man. Percussion patterns are decent, but I'm just not feeling his Ninja Tune-era night club mediocrity. I realize Merck is long gone and times change and all that, but still.

Quite the Machinedrum apologist but these 2 preview tracks are a little anemic to me on first blush. There's a 100% chance of at least one banger in there somewhere though. 

• Like 1

Just skipped through these 2 tracks a little bit, might check this out. Last one I listened to was Vapor City, don't remember liking it or Room(s) very much. My opinion could be different now though.

• Like 1

Machinedrum's Vapor City and Room(s) are some great albums! I also got a kick out of some songs on Human Energy. Braided Leaves is an awesome track he released a couple months back that was for some comp album i think?

These two tracks are very good. Ur2yung is pretty catchy. Looking forward to this album

• Like 1

^k. didn't know there was a distinction or even that such a thing existed. had just thought about if he was doing anything new a week or so ago and checked his Twitter and saw this, didn't pay much attention: 

anyway

Freddie Gibbs track is pretty good but is like, half a track. needs more to make it something worth ever listening to again.

second track is okay at best, sounds super Ableton to my ears for some reason, probably those weak ass frequency cut sweeps or something, idk. tons better stuff out there from unknown producers. 

after the last album, the string of weak collabs and productions and remixes, and the way this one is shaping up, he's done tho. blah stuff.

• Like 1

First track is utter toilet, don't think I can get on board with those vocals at all. Second one is pretty boring. Ehhhhhh I despised the preview tracks of Human Energy and ended up liking that album after hearing the material live.... We'll see.

22 hours ago, zero said:

2nd track sounds decent! I'm not into rap anymore, so not too big on the vocals on the 1st one. nothing against Freddie Gibbs though, as I know he's talented. 

and from the bandcamp description, sounds like he's moved on from the crystals to um, something otherworldly?

2nd track is actually an old track. First heard it on Benji B’s BBC show years back, can’t remember exactly when.. I suppose during Rooms, it sounds like it’s from that period 

And thank fuck he left the whole crystal healing thing 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, President Squidward said:

Machinedrum's Vapor City and Room(s) are some great albums! 

23 hours ago, Poimandres said:

Can he make another Syndrone albun please?

I revisited both yesterday, enjoyed Room(s) more than Vapor City as it just seemed more eventful and engaging. Both made for good driving (alone) at high volume while running some errands not that close to home. I remember just not being into either as Footwork wasn't and still isn't really my thing, but they're good albums. 

6 hours ago, thumbass said:

I think they're p good, never actually checked out a machinedrum album before, any recommendations?

ROOMS

vapor city is pretty ok but didnt age that well compared to rooms

Edited by fairuzosman
  • Like 2

Room(s) is really all that matters. i still need to nab all the b-sides from that era

Vapor City and the associated b-sides are okay, the good tracks are rather good but some meh stuff on there too.

also check out the Alarma EP 

• Like 2

his stuff between the Alarma EP and Vapor City is the best and IMHO might never be topped - it was such a fresh mix of footwork, post-dubstep, etc. 

he did some bonkers remixes too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Thanks guys

I remember there being quite some hate for this guy back in the day, why was that?

it's all here, pretty much feel the same way

these new tracks are decent, feel more loose and less ad music vibes. Ur2yung just reminds me of older Lone though and likewise Kane Train gives me early 00s Hudson Mohawk and Rustie vibes

Edited by joshuatxuk