IGNORED

Machinedrum - A View Of U

thumbass

I’ll always give this guy a chance because he has the ability to pull some really crazy stuff out of his ass sometimes.   At times I think he’s a victim of being a professional musician.   Making music that he thinks people want to hear, or what will make good money, as opposed to what he wants to hear / make.   Also a lot of his tracks all started to sound the same like he just opens up a project file and uses all the same instruments and just twerks the drums a little.   

Also I’d agree with Vapor City.  That one was my favorite.  Feel free to check out his work in the group Sepalcure too.  They had some really beautiful tracks.  

Room(s) actually gives me some of that good old fashioned nostalgia ™ that I see so many people talk about. Vapor City is good but the BoC remix thing he did was better. 

• Like 1

Right a lot of the thread is a bit moody in general but I am a massive Machinedrum fan.

Rooms is an amazing album (one of my all time favourites) and for me, at that time it was something new. Others might not agree but rooms was right on the cusp of footwerk and blended that very nicely into other electronic genres.

Vapour City definitely continued on in the vein of Rooms and had way more of a polished sound, which some people may have found more appealing and some may have not. But no doubt that it had solid tracks and had a B Side release which most would have been jealous of tunes that good that didnt make their album.

Human Energy I think was a complete departure from the previous 2 albums and I don't see why anyone would disagreed with such a massive departure. It was surrounded with all the crystal stuff, but Human Energy is a fantastic album in it's own right. I listened to it today and it's still an amazingly fun album.

I look forward to this album, I dont expect it to be the same as anything previous, why would you?

1 hour ago, chassis said:

Right a lot of the thread is a bit moody in general but I am a massive Machinedrum fan.

Rooms is an amazing album (one of my all time favourites) and for me, at that time it was something new. Others might not agree but rooms was right on the cusp of footwerk and blended that very nicely into other electronic genres.

Vapour City definitely continued on in the vein of Rooms and had way more of a polished sound, which some people may have found more appealing and some may have not. But no doubt that it had solid tracks and had a B Side release which most would have been jealous of tunes that good that didnt make their album.

Human Energy I think was a complete departure from the previous 2 albums and I don't see why anyone would disagreed with such a massive departure. It was surrounded with all the crystal stuff, but Human Energy is a fantastic album in it's own right. I listened to it today and it's still an amazingly fun album.

I look forward to this album, I dont expect it to be the same as anything previous, why would you?

Thought vapor city was really nice

So I've been playing a lot of Machinedrum over the last week as a result of this thread. First I revisited Room(s) and Vapor City as I didn't recall enjoying the footwork direction that much, and that proved worthwhile. I ended up revisiting Room(s) a second time over the weekend, maybe Vapor City another time today or soon. But also I decided to play Human Energy for the first time, and despite some obvious slightly cheesy bits here and there, I found it quite good and fun. Ended up playing it a second time quite soon after. I regret ignoring it, but then again, maybe I wouldn't have liked it at the time either. But glad I came around. Also revisited Want to 1 2? yesterday, which I liked upon release and liked better than Room(s) and Vapor City when those came out. Now? Well I still like it, but it's not necessarily better. Currently I'm revisiting his debut Now You Know, fully knowing what to expect as I had always spent more time with the early glitch-hop stuff than anything after (although in my memory the first 3 albums all blend together). And ok it's good and certainly impressive in 2001 when he and Prefuse 73 both dropped their debut albums. Funny thing, I always preferred Prefuse, perhaps because I heard him first, but now in listening to Machinedrum's debut, this may have aged better. It's got more cutting-edge IDM elements, maybe less repetitive, dunno. I think I may be coming around to realizing that Travis Stewart has been a better producer all along – especially considering P73's downward trajectory in the late 2000s (even if I appreciate some of his mid-career albums more than most) and Travis' continuing to explore new sounds in a more successful way.

My initial reply in this thread was favorable toward these new tracks as I hadn't fully liked anything since Want to 1 2?, but now, after listening to the full tracks and all the album revisits stated above, I'm not sure how to feel anymore. The tracks are fine but not better than anything released in the last decade. Anyway, anticipating this more than I was since I'm a revived Md fan.

• 4 weeks later...

I really love “Salmataxia” under his Syndrone alias back in 2004. Some nice Confieldy chaotic stuff but with a more melodic bent that he’s always been pretty good at (BoC esque even).

But yeah I think Rooms is his best and still holds up

• 1 month later...