IGNORED

Recommend me a cheap reverb pedal

TheBro

I was looking in to those Zooms a lot last year when I was in the market for a simple reverb pedal to use on synths live (back when playing live was a reasonable life choice) but I listened to a ton of demos and comparisons directly between the two and could never quite get around the way the dry signal sounded.  Not bad, but you can definitely hear that the dry is passing through the converters.  Ended up with a Digitech Polara (you could/can find them new for $100 on Reverb, which was less than the Zoom) because it sounds nice and even though it's a lot more limited feature-wise I felt like the reverb sat with the dry signal really nicely (the dry signal path stays analog) and it over all sounded better for in-line processing.

But if you want to use it on an aux send DO NOT consider the Polara, because it doesn't go 100% wet. The Zoom does a lot more, too. Depends on what you want.

Haven't tried it but people seem to like the Joyo Atmosphere a lot, and it is CHEAP. Mono only, though (but mono reverb is underused anyway - a lot of the best reverb sounds have historically been mono, and it's great for putting on a single instrument you want to highlight in a mix).

If you don't mind guitar Youtube, here's a bunch of cheap reverbs demoed:

EDIT: I'd seriously consider the option of getting a few cheap, obscure budget pedals and giving different pieces of gear their own dedicated reverb rather than one single semi-affordable reverb.  Depends on whether you're looking for on reverb to sort of glue things together or whether you'd rather use different reverbs as part of the sound of each instrument. Also if you use a lot of gear with built in effects that's less relevant.  A cheap mono reverb or delay pedal on that DR-110 might be just the thing, though, for example.

The Mugig pedal the reviewer hates in that second video sound so wretched I actually kind of love it, might be really good on certain kinds of synth sounds.

22 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Haven't tried it but people seem to like the Joyo Atmosphere a lot, and it is CHEAP. Mono only, though (but mono reverb is underused anyway - a lot of the best reverb sounds have historically been mono, and it's great for putting on a single instrument you want to highlight in a mix).

If you don't mind guitar Youtube, here's a bunch of cheap reverbs demoed:

EDIT: I'd seriously consider the option of getting a few cheap, obscure budget pedals and giving different pieces of gear their own dedicated reverb rather than one single semi-affordable reverb.  Depends on whether you're looking for on reverb to sort of glue things together or whether you'd rather use different reverbs as part of the sound of each instrument. Also if you use a lot of gear with built in effects that's less relevant.  A cheap mono reverb or delay pedal on that DR-110 might be just the thing, though, for example.

The Mugig pedal the reviewer hates in that second video sound so wretched I actually kind of love it, might be really good on certain kinds of synth sounds.

Yeah I'm looking for something that's just versatile fx wise. Reverb long or short is interesting but when I saw the Zoom and the fact you can combine up to 6 fx together I was like wow. I think my sis has Zoom Chorus / Flange pedal but its an old one which I bought many moons ago for her lol. Some big gated type reverb would be ace to add to Boss D-110 plus some distortion. I did try the Korg Monotron Delay but it not very dominant in the fx department.

Yeah the Zoom looks really nice, for live use especially.

There's also the CUBE SUGAR pedal, which is sold under at least 3 different brands (Ammoon, Cuvave, and one or two more I forget) and is all over Aliexpress for under $130 USD.

Reverb, delay, phaser, chorus, two distortions, EQ, clean boost, cab sim, tuner and a looper, with control-per-function and presets.  The demos I've seen don't sound half bad, either. No idea if it's all just some DSP thing running on a cheap board, or a bunch of budget pedals in a box, or most likely a bit of both, but I'm a sucker for weird budget pedals so I like the idea of it.  There are even cheaper knockoffs, too.

51ZDfg+I5FL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Yeah the Behringer RV600 is a clone of the Verbzilla.. somehow it looks better than the original as well, imo of course, which is rare for a Behringer clone.

This thread has got me looking at cheap reverbs and for one thing there still aren't very many cheap reverbs (over $50) isn't really cheap, and over $40 is pushing it), and the few that are around are mostly pretty bad but next paycheck I might have to get a Cuvave Dig-9, which is under $45 and actually has a really unique, useful bunch of algorithms it from all the demos I've seen - and that's almost unheard of in affordable reverbs. Worth it for the ducking and lo-fi algorithms at 100% wet alone. Not many examples of it being used with synths though, and what's out there is mostly using it more conservatively than the guitar channels, for a change.e you get up to $100 you can also start looking at cheaper vintage half-rack stuff like the LXP series Lexicons (there are a few working LXP-1 and LXP-5 units on Reverb for about $100 right now) or the Boss SE-50.  Depending on the kind of sounds you're after you might get a lot more for your money that way (especially with the SE-50, IF that sound works for you it's going to go a lot farther than any pedal I'm aware of for for $115-$130). I'd also recommend the Alesis Wedge but it looks like they're one of the things that's gotten expensive recently.  Three years ago they were under $80 (mine was $18 but it was sold as untested) but nowthey're in the $250 range, and that's a pretty hard sell as much as I like them. You can easily find an Alesis Nanoverb for under $100 (there's one on Reverb for $50 with power supply right now), and those are still useful. Boss RV-70 is a full 1u rack unit but for about the same price as a Zoom pedal you get a bunch of early 90s Roland reverb and delay algorithms with simple front panel controls and deep MIDI implementation, if that's something that interests you.

Just something to consider.

Anyway, the Cuvave.  Sounds unique and great. About $45 on eBay, $28 on AliExpress, probably about the same on wish.com but I'm not going to create an account just to check.

Their digital delay gets really weird for a budget pedal, too:

1 hour ago, BCM said:

Behringer Echomachine EM600 is fucking class. Roland Space Echo for peanuts. Not really a reverb though lol but you should still get it.

Yeah I sold a bunch of pedals recently but decided to keep that one. The reverse mode is amazing. 

If you can find one of these cheap I can't recommend it enough:

rs=w:600,h:600

It's a BBD delay not a reverb, but whatever.  More or less the more famous Realistic Electronic Reverb but cleaner, lower noise floor, and has a fake-stereo mode that sounds great and is actually mono compatible (or at least it sounds good and just as loud when you sum it to mono).

Reminds me of the vocal sound on the Jeff and Jane Hudson stuff, and even more of the drum sound at 3:15 on this track:

14 hours ago, chim said:

Don't f around, get an actual spring reverb!

5909FA49-087D-4ED8-A66C-96F9FBAE4BE4.jpeg

My friend has one of these and it's great for surf rock or spooky kitsch stuff.

23 hours ago, BCM said:

Behringer Echomachine EM600 is fucking class. Roland Space Echo for peanuts. Not really a reverb though lol but you should still get it.

They seem to be somewhat hard to find though. See one on eBay for 220,-, excl shipping from Japan. 

They seem to be somewhat hard to find though. See one on eBay for 220,-, excl shipping from Japan. 
lol really, shiiiit. maybe they've gone up in value.

45 minutes ago, BCM said:
On 8/9/2020 at 11:44 PM, user said:

lol really, shiiiit. maybe they've gone up in value.

Yeah, it’s strange, was looking for one last year and iirc they were going for around 100,- which was way more than I wanted to shell out. Wonder if there’s any other behringer gear that’s shot up like that. 

That must have been a fluke, if you look at eBay and Reverb prices they're usually in the $60-$70 range at most when they show up.  One went for like $150 on Reverb a while ago but that looks like an anomaly too.

Sometimes international price from sellers in Japan are really high, I've noticed that before but I'm not sure what the deal is.

Archived