IGNORED

Flight JL123 Seen Landing at Narita Airport, Japan - 35 Years Later

Joyrex

This is kinda creepy: https://soranews24.com/2020/08/08/flight-that-crashed-in-1985-spotted-landing-in-narita-airport-35-years-later/

Four minutes before midnight on 5 August, flight JL123 was seen approaching Narita Airport from Narita Airport on the flight tracking website Flight Radar 24. Once spotted, this got the attention of many online and understandably so as Japan Airlines Flight 123 crashed 35 years ago almost to the day.

What's creepy to you, the part about the original 1985 crash being before a holiday about dead souls coming into the living world?

Sounds like the JL123 showing up was a result of a regular thing they do as part of ops, putting in a random flight number for transponder maintenance according to the article.

Disclaimer: I don't believe in the supernatural.

3 minutes ago, hijexx said:

What's creepy to you, the part about the original 1985 crash being before a holiday about dead souls coming into the living world?

Sounds like the JL123 showing up was a result of a regular thing they do as part of ops, putting in a random flight number for transponder maintenance according to the article.

Disclaimer: I don't believe in the supernatural.

Would they use an extant flight number though? I would think that would cause confusion if it happened (like in this case) to be an already-used flight number, or are flight numbers recycled (in thinking this through, I suppose they would have to recycle flight numbers, otherwise we'd be dealing with flight 13283838322 and so on)?

I don't believe in ghosts either (yet), but like UFOs, if I ever have an encounter with one that leaves me no doubt, I'll believe.

And yes, you are of course correct that was what it apparently was:

After the commotion started brewing online, J-Cast News contacted a rep with JAL who confirmed that JL123 did appear on the radar but that it was a randomly chosen number by a tech worker during some regular transponder maintenance.

This JL123 was actually flight JL712, returning to Narita from Singapore. However, between 11:56 p.m. and 12:22 a.m. it was relabeled JL123, a number arbitrarily selected by one of the IT staff. The number could have been any combination of 4 digits but as fate would have it, the same number as an infamous crashed flight almost exactly 35 years earlier just before a holiday honoring the dead was picked.

...or was it?

If it's midnight and I'm on call and I have to punch in some digits I'd prob just put 0123 too and call it a night lol. Hey it made for some good click bait though. We've done our part. Had a good laugh and helped the ad dollars flow.

7 minutes ago, hijexx said:

If it's midnight and I'm on call and I have to punch in some digits I'd prob just put 0123 too and call it a night lol. Hey it made for some good click bait though. We've done our part. Had a good laugh and helped the ad dollars flow.

I actually don't get any ad revenue - the only thing I (used) to get was Viglink affiliate links for Amazon and Ebay, but that hasn't worked in ages. Thinking about removing it altogether since the company never responds to my support tickets.

Your subscriptions and donations are what keeps WATMM going!

2 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I actually don't get any ad revenue - the only thing I (used) to get was Viglink affiliate links for Amazon and Ebay, but that hasn't worked in ages. Thinking about removing it altogether since the company never responds to my support tickets.

Your subscriptions and donations are what keeps WATMM going!

And thank you for that!

I was talking about the new site hosting the link.

Archived