IGNORED

Drowned In Sound Music Forum

beerwolf

Anyone post on there? It's more Indie centric. Maybe a good place to discuss guitar based music.

Just wondered if any of you have ever visited their shores.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has ever been mentioned but does the mysterious ManjuShri ever speak? I ask because I don't seem to recall ever any words been typed.

It's like he or she is a ghost in the machine of watmm, and only communicates via symbols and youtube tracks. A bit like a Watmm Ouija board.

Spooky ?

• Like 1

Hi Zephyr_Nova

Yes I was also reading this thread! I quite like the concept of How Good Are They Really, each week discussing certain bands. This thread was pretty crazy. But it's Slayer! So things seemed to go a bit haywire.

You have to explain a bit further about why you don't like it, what puts you off? 

Most threads aren't in nature like the Slayer one 

Edited by beerwolf

Seems like most of them are just there to make fun of it, with little appreciation for the way its impacted the course of music to come.  That's the general vibe I got.  I think too many users in a forum like that would grate on my nerves.  

I have followed Drowned in Sound on Facebook for a long time (for music news basically), but never joined the forums. Any time I've popped in there the format annoyed me so I never bothered. I guess it looks ok right now, still not great UX though. Never gotten used to Reddit for similar reasons. 

• Like 1

Well I'll let the cat out of the bag (I've been in two minds whether to say anything)

I joined a few months ago because I liked the Neil Young listening club thread, the Rolling Ambient, Modern Classical thread and the HGATR thread. And I got on really well on there, no shit posting and no being silly, zero flab and good stuff to read. I think in hindsight I was getting on a little too well, (possibly putting some long serving noses out of joint, of one person in particular). I made the critical mistake of making one drunk (proper watmm style lol) comment on the Kanye West thread. Bad idea! Of course I thought it was hilarious, and was cackling like a hyena when I sent it. But sometimes I just can't resist!! It would not of got me banned on here, not even bat an eyelid. So I wake up in the morning and of course I can't log in, been banned for 2 weeks for 'threating language'. Cool fair enough, but also thinking to myself you're a bunch of fucking hypocrites because there are hundreds of comments I've read on there using threatening language when you disagree with something, and how the fuck can you listen to Kanye Wests lyrics and possibly be offended by what I said??? Hahah that's a joke. But whatever. I'll be back soon.

First day I'm back, just posting along, this dude say's what the fuck are you doing back on MY forum (it's not his forum at all), I told him to chill out, he tells me to fuck off (not exactly leading by example are we). So instead of doing what he wants me to do, which is of course react and fall into the trap, I write a really heartfelt and kind apology. So that's it then all finished then. Posting along and this dude is having pops at me, while everybody else is liking my comments and telling him to back off and leave me alone. After a few days of getting back into the swing of things I try to log in one morning. Can't do it. I have been banned. And I know I was a ultra good boy because I know one tiny slip and its bon voyage. I get a message you are banned for 1000 years for being a racist in the Kanye West thread. Holy wow. I didn't even go back to the thread, and my original post is zero racist. As you would know I've never posted anything slightly racist. It's just a lie cooked up by cuntface to get me off the forum, he's gone crying and blithering to someone with the power to get me off. Friends in high places.

I think to myself I'm not having this I'm gonna find out who the main man is of Drowned In Sound and sign up to twitter just to tweet him what the fuck is going on his forum. I'm honest enough to admit when I'm wrong and I'm good enough to always say sorry. Always. So I sign up to twitter and low and behold what do I see on the main mans twitter page? He's been posting up my comments on his twitter feed as his personal likes from the forum. So it all fits into place. I tweeted him and explained exactly what was going on but never bothered to read the replies. I just wanted him to know the deal. Maybe I'll look later.

It all started with the Black Sabbath hgatr, when a few of us combined, in a place where Indie Rock Rules Supreme, and out numbered 20 to 1, turned it into a awesome thread.

Maybe I should quote some Kanye West lyrics about jealousy. I'm sure he has some. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a HGATR?

This is a HGATR

sofia-hulten-fuck-it-up-and-start-again-

Edit: My bad, picture is IUGATR

Edited by Gocab

22 hours ago, IDEM said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a HGATR?

Your ignorance IDEM is excused. 

It's when they (mostly indie brigade) rate artists on a music forum. Most of the forum are cool and a good bunch. They give Aphex a good score, and there are a few BOC and AE fans on there. But there is one cunt in particular Funkhouser who mugged me off and I let him get away with it. I should of destroyed the fucking cunt when I had the chance. If you're gonna get banned, then get banned fighting on your feet, not grovelling!!

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/how-good-are-they-really-aphex-twin/45777

Edited by beerwolf

22 hours ago, Gocab said:

This is a HGATR

sofia-hulten-fuck-it-up-and-start-again-

Edit: My bad, picture is IUGATR

No worries, it's the thought that counts!

33 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Your ignorance IDEM is excused. Check it out.

It's when they (mostly indie brigade) rate artists on a music forum. Most of the forum are cool and a good bunch. They give Aphex a good score, and there are a few BOC and AE fans on there. But there is one cunt in particular Funkhouser who mugged me off and I let him get away with it. I should of destroyed the fucking cunt when I had the chance. If you're gonna get banned, then get banned fighting on your feet, not grovelling!!

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/how-good-are-they-really-aphex-twin/45777

Ah, I get it, I get it! How Good Are They Really! ?‍?

So Aphex Twin is better than Stevie Wonder, but not as good as Marvin Gaye. Well, waddayaknow ... This concept of slapping some random number on an artist's whole oeuvre strikes me as a bit absurd tbh.

Also, a forum that rates Aphex Twin a mere 4.18 is clearly not deserving of the mighty badger.

Edit: On the other hand, it's not that hard really and actually kind of fun.

Aphex Twin: 5

NIN: 4

Iron Maiden: 3

Arctic Monkeys: 2

No Doubt: 1

:cisfor:

Edited by IDEM

9 hours ago, IDEM said:

No worries, it's the thought that counts!

Ah, I get it, I get it! How Good Are They Really! ?‍?

So Aphex Twin is better than Stevie Wonder, but not as good as Marvin Gaye. Well, waddayaknow ... This concept of slapping some random number on an artist's whole oeuvre strikes me as a bit absurd tbh.

Also, a forum that rates Aphex Twin a mere 4.18 is clearly not deserving of the mighty badger.

Edit: On the other hand, it's not that hard really and actually kind of fun.

Aphex Twin: 5

NIN: 4

Iron Maiden: 3

Arctic Monkeys: 2

No Doubt: 1

:cisfor:

Autechre:  5

Clark:  4

Tycho:  3

Kidz Bopp Volumes 1 to infinity:  2

Aphex Twin:  1

• 1 year later...

Here’s a post welcoming a new member to the friendly forum

Honestly, you couldn’t find a better bunch of folk on the internet, in my opinion. Good to have you here!

A few days later, while discussing Morrissey…

I remember reading in the Metro probably around 2015 that a few years earlier he’d had a horrible lung disease and nearly died. Honestly would’ve been better if he did.

Doesn’t get flagged, in fact probably gets a round of applause. I think this sums up the place perfectly really. I also think Bowie and Nick Cave has also been spun into the web of woke, and this forums crusade against all very, very bad people on planet Earth. Pretty sure Aphex is now on the blacklist for making a track called Windowlicker. Because that’s ‘ableist’. But hey-ho it’s okay to hope somebody dies ?

Now I’m sure one or two of you will go running and tell your friends over there. Off you go….

Edited by beerwolf

IDM is White male supremacist, i'm really sorry.

Fuck that forum based on these ratings alone (we're not mainstream pop no, we're reputable pop).

It's probably good idea to make something similar on WATMM, to open eyes -- tho we've had an album of the year threads which showed tolerable IDM results all in all.

Artist    Rating
Aretha Franklin    4.64
Nina Simone    4.57
Neil Young    4.48
Miles Davis    4.42
Talking Heads    4.39
R.E.M.    4.38
Beastie Boys    4.36
Otis Redding    4.34
The Velvet Underground    4.33
David Bowie    4.31
The Beatles    4.31
Pixies    4.30
Leonard Cohen    4.30
The Cure    4.28
Björk    4.27
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds    4.22
Marvin Gaye    4.21
Aphex Twin    4.18
PJ Harvey    4.17
Stevie Wonder    4.17
Nirvana    4.15
Joy Division    4.15
Radiohead    4.13
The Supremes    4.13
Pavement    4.12
Prince    4.11
Wu-Tang Clan    4.11
Nick Drake    4.10
Elliott Smith    4.09
Pulp    4.08
Public Enemy    4.08
Sonic Youth    4.08
Sleater-Kinney    4.08
Kate Bush    4.07
OutKast    4.07
Portishead    4.03
Super Furry Animals    4.03
Black Sabbath    4.03
MF DOOM    4.01
Bob Dylan    3.97
Kendrick Lamar    3.97
Low    3.96
The Beach Boys    3.93
Jimi Hendrix    3.93
LCD Soundsystem    3.92
Joni Mitchell    3.89
Massive Attack    3.89
Bruce Springsteen    3.84
The Clash    3.77
Pet Shop Boys    3.76
Blondie    3.73
Bright Eyes    3.71
Rage Against The Machine    3.71
The Ramones    3.67
ABBA    3.66
Kanye West    3.65
Arcade Fire    3.64
Blur    3.61
The Smiths    3.57
Beyoncé    3.54
Yeah Yeah Yeahs    3.54
Carly Rae Jepsen    3.51
The Chemical Brothers    3.49
Bob Marley & The Wailers    3.48
Jeff Buckley    3.47
Idlewild    3.42
Madonna    3.40
Manic Street Preachers    3.39
Fleetwood Mac    3.39
Toots & The Maytals    3.35
The White Stripes    3.34
Supergrass    3.32
Hole    3.31
The Smashing Pumpkins    3.30
Suede    3.30
Elton John    3.28
The Pogues    3.28
Kylie Minogue    3.27
The Specials    3.26
Sugababes    3.22
Rihanna    3.19
The Prodigy    3.18
Led Zeppelin    3.16
Ash    3.16
Pink Floyd    3.15
Taylor Swift    3.14
Jay-Z    3.14
Arctic Monkeys    3.14
Interpol    3.12
TLC    3.12
Los Campesinos!    3.10
The Rolling Stones    3.09
Destiny’s Child    3.05
Primal Scream    3.04
The Strokes    3.03
Elvis Presley    3.02
Weezer    2.97
Amy Winehouse    2.95
Girls Aloud    2.93
Frank Sinatra    2.92
Lizzo    2.86
Belle And Sebastian    2.85
Britney Spears    2.85
Metallica    2.81
Green Day    2.81
Madness    2.80
The Jam    2.75
Basement Jaxx    2.75
Oasis    2.71
Whitney Houston    2.69
The Sex Pistols    2.63
Lady Gaga    2.61
Queen    2.60
Billy Joel    2.57
U2    2.55
Biffy Clyro    2.48
Dire Straits    2.43
Bloc Party    2.41
Eminem    2.38
Mariah Carey    2.32
The Killers    2.22
The Who    2.22
Blink-182    2.21
Adele    2.05
Kings Of Leon    2.01
Red Hot Chili Peppers    1.90
The Spice Girls    1.81
Stereophonics    1.74

I recently joined that place. Known about it for years but a few times I checked I didn't like the format. But I was also following them on Facebook for a long time so I'd get reminded now and then, and decided to jump in. I think I was looking for something to kill time when I was taking a 2-week break from house hunting and couldn't look at the listings app.

I've enjoyed some of the discussion, though of course there's a lot I don't give a shit about like any forum. Moves pretty fast, seems like there are a lot of members. The software is interesting, but wish there was a mobile app. Anyway yeah, it's fine and I listen to a lot of guitar-based music as well so it's good for that, but not exclusive to that either.

@sidewinder

There’s a guy who posts on there called Uncle Retrospective who’s brilliant. He has a great knowledge of guitar music (especially the heavier end of the spectrum), and also dabbles in a bit of electronic music, though I’m not sure if he’s into Warp. This may sound cheesy but I actually miss being able to chat with that guy, because our opinions were almost identical, he was like some brother I’ve never met. You’ll see quickly the guys on there who are just into the music (midnight punk, born in 69x) and are pretty cool, and the ones who just seem utterly obsessed about how awful some artist’s history is and just go waging a modern day witch hunt on them. The person who runs the hgatr is definitely riding high on some mega ego/power trip. Quite sure that the whole place went into some  meltdown recently and loads of long time members also threw the towel in and disowned the place. 

It’s definitely not a place for me (think I’ve been banned 3 times now lol). You know if I’m beered up I’m gonna poke and test that high and mighty cliques patience. Beerwolf burned at the stake!

Good luck sidewinder ? 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Hahah thanks! Funny I hadn't really noticed the whole witch hunt crap until today. Hopped on this morning and saw a HGATR thread about Misfits, was shocked at the amount of people that a) had never listened to them b) pissed on them based solely on the post-Danzig version of the band, and c) brought up bullshit about Danzig being a cunt or whatever (and I'm guessing that was mostly from people who didn't know 2 shits about the band). Comments from midnight punk fully stood out to me in that thread, not only because I fully agreed with them but also because they were thought-out and informative. Anyway I called the thread fucking embarrassing and got called a snowflake. Ok then.

Also have had a few exchanges with Uncle Retrospective as well, funny that those 2 did make an impression on me as well, seeing as how it can take a while to start remembering specific users/usernames after joining a forum. 

@ sidewinder 

They have weekly listening clubs which is a cool concept. I think Uncle Retrospective is going to do a Cure one soon, so each week they dedicate to an album, starting from the first album and working through the discography. There’s also a Pink Floyd one just up and running, and the Neil Young one I was quite involved with before I got sacked. Stick with these and you should enjoy yourself (unless you don’t like The Cure or Pink Floyd ?

Pretty sure the hgatr theme is just toxic imo. That’s why so many people just vote their score and then leave the thread. And as I said it’s run by a dude who seems to rejoice in its negativity, why else would you be almost instantly checking the Morrissey fan forum pages to see if your handiwork is being talked about? Peculiar behaviour. Anyway that’s my last post on this peculiar thread ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Tonight the UK moon ?  is in its last quarter. Yet it seems the full moon has risen in broad day light! Glowing in my eyes like a giant icy cold lantern ❄️ 

The lupine infected beast is snarling like a possessed soul being doused with holy water at an exorcism!

That is definitely last post. Maybe.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Farnsworth 1